Apple Customer Service Response

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I recently made an appointment at the SO CALLED "GENIUS BAR" in the Apple Store because the Apple Mail Client on my MacBook Pro refused to send mail from wireless networks at hotels when I travel, even if there was not a firewall present. The so called" Genius" apple employee proceeded to delete my mail settings and my mail server settings, at which point, it became apparent that he did not know what he was doing. I told him to stop deleting everything until he could explain what he was doing. He then told me that Apple allows only 15 minutes for each repair and that time had expired and that I should "Have a nice day" Not only was this person poorly trained, he did not like the suggestion that he didn't know how to fix the problem, which he couldn't do.

The is it that Apple gets away with calling low paid retail employees "geniuses?" I have had it with the arrogance and incompetence that comes with Apple's (lack of) customer support. These post-pubesent computer science drop outs who could not get an actual job in a computer company are trained to be arrogant and to invalidate your warranty. You can expect them to tell you to reinstall everything which makes the defective computer or buggy software YOUR PROBLEM or to simply by a new computer as yours is out of warranty.

While sitting at the so called "Genius Bar", I saw two people come in with broken iphones. They were told that the problem was not covered by warranty and that Apple would happily sell them a refurbished, older generation iphone at the same price as a new one costs.

It turns out that Apple has known about the inability of Apple Mail to send mail from hotels and other locations as their are bugs in the ourbound mail server management of Apple mail. Another Apple employee believes it is a source code probelm but said that Apple support employees are not allowed to work on source code problems (Its probably beyond most of them). Turns out that thousands of people can not send mail and have posted the problem across the user support forums but apple as FAILED TO FIX these MAJOR BUGS as their engineers are too busy designing new ipads and iphone antennas. (You don't expect your new phone to make phone calls now, do you?)

All of the technology and finance journals love to report on Apple's new products but they never check back to see if these products actually work. Apple repeatedly FAILS TO FIX THEIR OWN BUGS. Apple will not even take responsibility for their own bugs. Steve Jobs is one helluva shepherd. When are apple's customers going to stop acting like sheep?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jigs View Post

He then told me that Apple allows only 15 minutes for each repair and that time had expired and that I should "Have a nice day"

This is the part of the show where you tell him to get a manager.

Quote:

Whining

Did you tell him to get a manager?

I've never had a problem with Mail at hotels. Can't be that major of a bug if it is known to work.

Not trying to downplay your problem, just saying that it doesn't affect everyone, and if it had the exposure you're claiming, it would've been far more visible and fixed early into the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    [QUOTE=Tallest Skil;1733706]This is the part of the show where you tell him to get a manager.

I've never had a problem with Mail at hotels. Can't be that major of a bug if it is known to work.

Hmm. I have an HP running Vista and have never had a significant problem or virus. To use that logic... Vista must be a fine OS and windows isn't subject to viruses. Ergo, those people complaining must be whiners. Please.

The problem the poster cites above is indeed a problem with OS X. And, imo, the general frustration with the Genius Bar is warranted. To be fair, we can't expect store staff to be able to fix any and all problems. But, they rarely do anything other than suggest 1) a reinstall or 2) that you buy more Apple products.

Those aren't solutions. Whenever a tech rep has to tell you to do replace or reinstall, it should be logged as a customer-service failure. ANY computer will run fine after a reinstall--they're only good to you when add software, use with different peripherals and in different situations, and otherwise customize. A reinstall isn't a solution it's a cop-out (and a major customer inconvenience.)

In buying Apple products we forgo options in hardware and configuration and we pay a hefty, hefty premium. In exchange it's reasonable to expect a basic level of performance (like being able to check your email in a hotel!) and service. The Genius Bar staff rarely provides a meaningful service. They shouldn't be categorized as technicians, but, rather sales & promotion staff.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbrianlars View Post

Hmm. I have an HP running Vista and have never had a significant problem or virus. To use that logic... Vista must be a fine OS and windows isn't subject to viruses. Ergo, those people complaining must be whiners. Please.

No, actually the analogy your'e looking for is something along the lines of "Putting Windows 7 on my PC slowed it to a crawl. When I took it back to Best Buy they wanted to charge me for repairs. They said once it was out of warranty they really didn't give a shit, and anyway, it was probably a Microsoft problem. While I was arguing with the sales guy I saw two people come in with malfunctioning Zunes, they didn't get any help either, so, you know, there's that. Anywho, MS sucks; I heard a MS employee admit that Windows 7 sucks but they're too lazy to fix it. Because they were obsessed with getting Windows Phone out the door, which is stupid because that will probably suck as well. My experience is proof plenty of that. Also, Vista, case closed."

Quote:

The problem the poster cites above is indeed a problem with OS X.

Any evidence that it's a problem with OS X and not with hotel networks?

Quote:

And, imo, the general frustration with the Genius Bar is warranted. To be fair, we can't expect store staff to be able to fix any and all problems. But, they rarely do anything other than suggest 1) a reinstall or 2) that you buy more Apple products.

Any evidence to support the idea that Geniuses "rarely" do anything more than reinstall or push Apple product? Honest question, it's not my experience. I've gotten all kinds of above and beyond service at Genius Bars, including several instances of getting out of warranty products replaced on the spot. Just anecdotally, most of the people I know who own Apple products have had similar experiences. And I've absolutely never been told that each visit is limited to 15 minutes and been given back some half completed software hack-job, which frankly sounds a bit implausible on the face of it.

Quote:

Those aren't solutions. Whenever a tech rep has to tell you to do replace or reinstall, it should be logged as a customer-service failure. ANY computer will run fine after a reinstall--they're only good to you when add software, use with different peripherals and in different situations, and otherwise customize. A reinstall isn't a solution it's a cop-out (and a major customer inconvenience.)

Which is irrelevant if your original assertion isn't true, and still exceeds the kind of service you're likely to get on an out of warranty PC. Although it does seem to be an awfully worked out critique of the whole idea of the Genius Bar. Why is that worse than being completely on your own, again?

Quote:

In buying Apple products we forgo options in hardware and configuration and we pay a hefty, hefty premium. In exchange it's reasonable to expect a basic level of performance (like being able to check your email in a hotel!) and service. The Genius Bar staff rarely provides a meaningful service. They shouldn't be categorized as technicians, but, rather sales & promotion staff.

Yeah, that's all pretty much straight up bullshit, which starts to make me wonder why you found it necessary to register just to spread FUD.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The same dilemma happened with me as well.I called Apple's customer services to ask about a query regarding my iPhone.Was on eternal hold and the customer service representative was i don't know feeling sleepy probably.He was least interested in replying to my questions.The worst thing that happened was that my call was eventually dropped and i didn't bother calling again..

I love Apple but they should work hard on improving their customer services department..\