Incomplete bluetooth stack from Apple

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Who's got the insight on this issue? At first I thought it was just one vendor complaining, but here's a small vendor ( Ford ) with a less-than-complete feature set in their car's Ford SYNC product for iPhone vs a full feature set for Blackberry.
".....and Ford were showing off the third version of Ford Sync at CES, and Casey and Phil from Android Central and I jumped in and got a demo. The good news is that it works great. It plays your music, makes your phone calls, and alert the authorities in case of accident, and more…

The bad news is the “and more” doesn’t apply to iPhone and iPod touch owners since Apple hasn’t properly implemented all the Bluetooth control protocols. Also, SMS to voice isn’t implemented for the iPhone, and I’m guessing that has to do with the current SDK as well."
Then there's this -- ummm, interesting -- discussion about The Toy as a long-distance way to reach out and touch (vibrate) your adult partner:
"...We need a serial port in the bluetooth stack.

We need to be able to change the bluetooth name of the iphone to 'thetoy' so that the toy can find the iphone and pair with it. It only works this way around for security of the user.

We need the AT commands to function in the Iphone so that the software in the toy can find and list the sms messages in the iphone...."

Cool & Groovy Toy Co Ltd.
Insights?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    My wife and I recently switched from WinMo phones to iPhone 4s and I immediately noticed this.... much to my dismay. I still can't believe that AVRCP isn't fully implemented on the iPhone4. Two examples- my Prius nav screen used to display song information and such from my WinMo phone (which had a full AVRCP profile).... now I just have a lame pause/play button. My Motorola S9-HD bluetooth headphones have built-in buttons to skip tracks, etc- these are nonfunctional on the iPhone- again due to a lack of AVRCP.

Supposedly a more complete AVRCP profile will appear in 4.3