Battery not charging after logic board install

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I took a bit of a gamble on an ebay logic board for my powerbook 17" 1.33ghz laptop. All installed well or so I thought - now the battery will not charge, it doesn't drop it's charge providing it's plugged in with the mains adapter. Here's what I've tried;

* reseting the PMU

* a different battery (also running coconutbattery app)

* quick Apple hardware test - everything passed

Here's my thoughts (I'd welcome yours);

Prior to the install I was confused by the thermal paste areas, I ended up cleaning and applying arctic silver 5 paste to the cpu, the power management unit and the gpu and I wonder if the application of paste to the PMU was appropriate?

It could be a bad connection - I'll open it up later and check the cables are properly seated.

It's definately not the adaptor or the batteries - I have two of both which I have tried and I know they are fine.

Comments appreciated

Thanks

ps; could be nothing but I'm noticing a little bit of what feels like static on the top case

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimlad View Post

I took a bit of a gamble on an ebay logic board for my powerbook 17" 1.33ghz laptop. All installed well or so I thought - now the battery will not charge, it doesn't drop it's charge providing it's plugged in with the mains adapter. Here's what I've tried;

* reseting the PMU

* a different battery (also running coconutbattery app)

* quick Apple hardware test - everything passed

Here's my thoughts (I'd welcome yours);

Prior to the install I was confused by the thermal paste areas, I ended up cleaning and applying arctic silver 5 paste to the cpu, the power management unit and the gpu and I wonder if the application of paste to the PMU was appropriate?

It could be a bad connection - I'll open it up later and check the cables are properly seated.

It's definately not the adaptor or the batteries - I have two of both which I have tried and I know they are fine.

Comments appreciated

Thanks

ps; could be nothing but I'm noticing a little bit of what feels like static on the top case

You should have let an authorized Apple Repair Service Tech put in your logic board. Not You! They would be responsible if it does not work.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

You should have let an authorized Apple Repair Service Tech put in your logic board. Not You! They would be responsible if it does not work.

Well, thank you very much Gerald for your valuable input.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimlad View Post

Well, thank you very much Gerald for your valuable input.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway. He's out of warranty, so he'd've had to pay several hundred for that.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway. He's out of warranty, so he'd've had to pay several hundred for that.

No I am being truthful.Not sarcastic at all.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    It's either a bad or missed connection or you have another bad logic board.