Unverified report claims Mac OS X 10.7 to adopt iOS interface elements

12346

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 138
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    In reality that argument has no weight.



    Clearly our realities differ.
  • Reply 102 of 138
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I'm talking about having a contextual option within the OS to send a quick e-mail in a pop-over right there in whatever app you are in.



    Genius. I would also like to be able to hit the menu bar to scroll all the way to the top of the page. I love that in iOS and always wish I could do that in OSX. Scaling page for text (double tapping in iOS) would be an awesome feature for Safari to implement as well. I'm just not sure what the best way to activate would be.
  • Reply 103 of 138
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post


    touch does not have to replace ANYTHING. please understand that. it simply is another user input in addition to the cursor and the mouse. you can still have the mouse for precision and the keyboard for typing, the "touch" that many have been looking forward to is simply for scrolling the screen, moving to difference mac "spaces", magnification of windows or pictures (would more difficult to guide the mouse to the very bottom corner of the screen to drag a window) things like that. just think about it, mouse still exists, cursor still exists, fingers additional.



    That would never happen, because Apple optimises it's UI for input method. So a device is either touch or non-touch. Each element on the screen needs to be optimized for touch input, but doing that makes using a mouse less comfortable and vice versa. That is why iPhone has a different UI then OSX.



    PS I can see a specialty touch UI that would have to be activated (like front row) that would be touch. But I doubt it will ever just co-exist with the mouse input.
  • Reply 104 of 138
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post


    I would like someone to explain to me how in the hell they think anyone could actually create 3d models and animation in a touch interface-it cannot be done period-if you think so you are seriously one inept individual and lose all credibility. This is only one example of several examples of touch limitations-hope you haven't injured yourselves falling off that turnip truck.



    Would you like an answer to your question? Or do you fear your own limited imagination?

    As a side-note: I touched the 'reply' link to reply to your post. I forgot it was on my MacBook...



    J.
  • Reply 105 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post


    Your right, a 'touchpad' is not the same as a touchscreen.

    I wasn't implying that. The point is that they both support (the same) gestures.



    As for unergonomic, did you work with an iPad? This directly contradicts your statement.

    Try typing on a keyboard without using it (or the table) as a resting point. It won't work.

    The same holds true for a touch screen, you must be able to rest your arms.



    J.



    I think we misunderstood each other. I think a touchscreen is great for mobile devices such as the iPad or any notebook-type device Apple or other manufactures come up with. I just think it is pretty much useless on a desktop computer. I'm sitting here in front of my iMac and try to imagine how to work everything just by touching it's screen - not a nice thought! *gg* And I think we agree on that, right?



    It just sounded like you were making a point that keyboard and mouse will be obsolete soon. Or did I get you wrong there? Because while I think this may be true for mobile devices it certainly won't be for desktop computers in the near future.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post


    So, a touch desktop will be almost horizontal with a slight angle comparable to a lessenaar (reading desk) of the past.



    My thoughts exactly. But for that to happen, Apple would have to do A LOT more than just implementing touch gestures better in OS X (which I'm sure they will do). You need new desktop computers, new desks and possibly even new chairs and new concepts how to furnish an office.



    That's not going to happen tomorrow, is it?
  • Reply 106 of 138
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Sounds true. It's not a big deal.



    I'm hoping for more important new features, like decent mouse tracking software. And I mean decent by Apple's standards.



    And a way to e-mail quickly, like you can on iOS. There's no reason in the world that Mac OS X can't bring me into composing an e-mail as fast, or even faster than iOS. And while I'm on the subject, where's Mac OS X's unified notification system? Growl is one of the messiest things I've ever encountered, but I'm convinced it only gets used because Apple's version of it doesn't exist. And why is it so messy installing apps, or deleting apps? For Apple these things could be way cleaner, quicker and simpler.



    Are you serious?
  • Reply 107 of 138
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Mail needs to be open to do that. I'm not talking about that. I'm taking about clicking a mailto link and sending the message is slower than it is on iOS, because with iOS is only loads the compose window. I'm talking about having a contextual option within the OS to send a quick e-mail in a pop-over right there in whatever app you are in.



    Quit being so defensive and get a clue.



    Try being clear first time.
  • Reply 108 of 138
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    [QUOTE=Pooch;1734999]aren't rumors inherently unverified?[/QUOTE



    Not if you started the rumor yourself. lol
  • Reply 109 of 138
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post


    If you use apps that are highly optimized for touch typists like VIM editor that programmers love, then you can be orders of magnitude faster than people that merely use other editors and are also keyboard only users. Same goes for Terminal vs using GUI to accomplish a task.



    I don't know any programmers who love VI for programming. Might be handy for editing config files, but totally clunky. Otherwise I agree with your point, however, many of us here are graphic artists and video/multimedia authors who will find it very difficult to drag and drop anything using the keyboard.



    Even in typography, which is a very keyboard centric activity, I find it faster and more accurate to drop the cursor precisely into a paragraph than to try to keystroke my way to the edit point.
  • Reply 110 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slackpacker View Post


    My Bet is a Flip screen imac with touch like the many pix that have surfaced



    You will lose that bet.



    Also, for accuracy's sake, there haven't been "many pictures" of such a device, there has been one patent published by Apple with one picture in it of this *possible* future device.



    At the very least, Apple won't come out with a device like this until the OS's are merged and that just isn't in the cards. What we've seen so far is that Lion *might* start to *look* a little bit like iOS but for your bet to be true, Apple would have to be in the advanced stages of integrating the two UI's and in the advanced testing stages for the new flip-top desktop thingie. There have been no indications at all that this is happening.



    OS X Snow Leopard is hardly mature enough to be blended with iOS which is itself still deep in the early development stages. They would arguably fix Quicktime X first, fix display independence first, fix the whole syncing nightmare first, etc., etc.
  • Reply 111 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post


    ... If you use apps that are highly optimized for touch typists like VIM editor that programmers love, then you can be orders of magnitude faster than people that merely use other editors and are also keyboard only users. Same goes for Terminal vs using GUI to accomplish a task.



    This is true, but essentially meaningless in terms of how the OS should be designed and whether it should be GUI or keyboard based however.



    following the same logic you could use any one of at least a dozen keyboard or keying methods that have been proven to be much faster for input (once learned) than a traditional keyboard, but no one is going to do that either. What counts is not absolute statistics on what method is faster or more efficient, but what people use and what the majority of people find most productive.



    You are not going to get users to learn to type just because it's technically more efficient. It's a fact that they would be more efficient if they could learn it, but also a fact that most people can't or won't learn it.



    It's really best the way it is now, with all the methods working side by side with each other.
  • Reply 112 of 138
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Durnaurion View Post


    ... gestures better in OS X (which I'm sure they will do). You need new desktop computers, new desks and possibly even new chairs and new concepts how to furnish an office.



    That's not going to happen tomorrow, is it?



    I can see a future desktop computer with touch only. But I agree that will not be in the near future.

    On the other hand if my personal usage pattern is an indication most computing will be on handheld devices in the near future.



    J
  • Reply 113 of 138
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Durnaurion View Post


    How?



    How are the vertical traffic lights more practical? When clicking them it's less probable you might accidentally click a control. Why? Because the controls are off and away to the right, not just a hairs-breath underneath the buttons.
  • Reply 114 of 138
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Drawing is a different thing. A niche a best.



    Using Illustrator was a niche? Perhaps you are thinking drawing in a different way.
  • Reply 115 of 138
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Durnaurion View Post


    EDIT:

    @ Ireland:

    What makes you think that vertical traffic lights will surely come?



    They wouldn't add something like that to iTunes willy-nilly. I could be wrong, but I'd bet it's coming. We'll see shortly.
  • Reply 116 of 138
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post


    Clearly our realities differ.



    You say you don't have to "reach" for the keyboard on a touch interface? The keyboard isn't there to begin with, you have to invoke it. While you're busy invoking your keyboard to set about printing that PDF I'll be hitting cmd+P.



    Ok?
  • Reply 117 of 138
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    Genius. I would also like to be able to hit the menu bar to scroll all the way to the top of the page. I love that in iOS and always wish I could do that in OSX. Scaling page for text (double tapping in iOS) would be an awesome feature for Safari to implement as well. I'm just not sure what the best way to activate would be.



    Thanks. Good idea, you too.



    While you're at it, I'd love for Apple to implement in iOS a double-tap the status bar to go to the bottom of a page. And a double-tap the number? key to do a comma followed by a space without caps.
  • Reply 118 of 138
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post


    Are you serious?



    Yep..
  • Reply 119 of 138
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post


    Try being clear first time.



    Yes, Wonder.
  • Reply 120 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    *snort* Ignorance is bliss.



    10.7 Wishlist:



    Resolution Independence.

    Tabbed Finder.

    iTunes' Illuminous scrollbars system-wide (I already have that, but they're hacked in).



    That's really it for me. Better multithreading performance, obviously.



    I'd say you are the ignorant one-in such you did not counter my note regarding animation being impossible-also i never said there was no place for touch aspects in the operating system just that there will be many instances where touch would not suffice and the mouse, draw-pads, pens, et al. will remain supreme. Do not assume when reading a statement and comment on what is written.
Sign In or Register to comment.