battery recharge question

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
If my iPhone battery drains completely and the phone powers down, why is it that when I plug it in to recharge I can't use the phone right away? Instead it needs to charge for *many* minutes before it will turn on. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Very annoying when you need to make a call! The phone has power - seems like it should be able to work right away as long as you leave it plugged in. I guess I'm hoping a better understanding will relieve my frustration.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Here's a simplified explanation... hopefully will help you to understand:

The charger (wall cord) does not power the phone... only the battery does. All the cord does is to CHARGE the battery. If the battery has been drained so far that it can't run the phone, you have to charge it enough (several minutes) that it CAN support the phone before you are able to turn it on.

Does that make sense?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    but this just seems like a weird way to set it up. My MacBook will run on AC power with the battery removed, so it doesn't seem like it is set up this way. Why not let AC power the iPhone when it's plugged in? I guess it's just a scenario that doesn't happen often? Or maybe it would increase the size of the circuitry required? This situation sure happens to me a lot but I guess that's because I let me phone run down more than the average user. Oh well. Thanks for the reply.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d.mantic View Post

If my iPhone battery drains completely and the phone powers down, why is it that when I plug it in to recharge I can't use the phone right away? Instead it needs to charge for *many* minutes before it will turn on. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Very annoying when you need to make a call! The phone has power - seems like it should be able to work right away as long as you leave it plugged in. I guess I'm hoping a better understanding will relieve my frustration.

Yeah, got to admit it also, this is really embarrassing, but what to do...