New MacBook Air ships without Flash installed

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Very funny! But I've gotten used to Apple "laptops" overheating under full load, which is why Apple doesn't call them laptops.

Since I installed Click to Flash I have removed this issue. I just click to allow a particular Flash element I want and all the others stay grayed out (often half a dozen or more an any typical news page). Just running the one you want saves a ton of CPU cycles, battery life and heat!
  • Reply 42 of 109
    c-rayc-ray Posts: 40member
    By not installing Flash, Apple doesn't have to worry the effect of Flash when calculating battery usage numbers. Just sayin...
  • Reply 43 of 109
    applappl Posts: 348member
    It makes perfect sense.

Lots of first time buyers. They won't understand when their shiny new Air crashes every time they try to surf the web.

Better to simply exclude the functionality.
  • Reply 44 of 109
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    As an aside, I watched the keynote live from the Apple site yesterday, and I must say the HTML5 video delivery was impressive. Running it full screen, the quality was excellent although it did partially pixelate momentarily a couple of times in some of the more dynamic iMovie clips they showed. Whatever other merits it may or may not have, there is absolutely no need for the Flash plug-in to show video any more.
  • Reply 45 of 109
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Makes one wonder, if they drop it from all future Macs, will they allow it in the Mac App Store so those who need it can easily get it and keep it updated?
  • Reply 46 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

So you registered (with an inflammatory name to boot), just to make this comment?

Really?

Really??

Thanks for your input. Now, go run and play.

Oh, just ignore him.

Eric likes to hang out in some of these forums and throw bombs.
  • Reply 47 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

As an aside, I watched the keynote live from the Apple site yesterday, and I must say the HTML5 video delivery was impressive. Running it full screen, the quality was excellent although it did partially pixelate momentarily a couple of times in some of the more dynamic iMovie clips they showed. Whatever other merits it may or may not have, there is absolutely no need for the Flash plug-in to show video any more.

Spot on. I was blown away by the quality of the video stream.

But did anyone else find the volume to be a tad low?
  • Reply 48 of 109
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

It makes perfect sense.

Lots of first time buyers. They won't understand when their shiny new Air crashes every time they try to surf the web.

Better to simply exclude the functionality.

I dislike Flash, and it is a battery drain and all, but I can't recall a single time my Mac or Safari has crashed due to it. Perhaps I'm not going to the right sites to make that happen...
  • Reply 49 of 109
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Dear steve, on phones I agree with you- but no flash on macs?!! I thought it was meant to be an out-of-the-box experience!

It is. They've finally done the right thing and NOT subjected the user to the misery of Flash. Unless the user is stupid enough to believe they need it, they never have to deal with it.

Awesome.
  • Reply 50 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I dislike Flash, and it is a battery drain and all, but I can't recall a single time my Mac or Safari has crashed due to it. Perhaps I'm not going to the right sites to make that happen...

Then you're very lucky, as it used to happen all the time. Not so much today, although the sluggish behavior/battery drain is still an absolute joke.
  • Reply 51 of 109
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

I thought it was meant to be an out-of-the-box experience!

You had one didn't you?!

Just not what you thought...
  • Reply 52 of 109
    How stupid is it that one horrible plug in is the contention of al this debate? F*CK adobe, already!

Seriously! They're bringing down the entire industry to levels of 5 years ago because their awful product is still everywhere, and people are still brainwashed into thinking "it" = "video" on the web.

Meanwhile, Apple can make better products than anyone else, because they ignore stupid Flash.

Which needs to go? The best products in the world? or Stupid Flash?
  • Reply 53 of 109
    Quote:

Dear steve, on phones I agree with you- but no flash on macs?!! I thought it was meant to be an out-of-the-box experience!

Then go to Adobe's website and install it.

I've seen several windows PC that doesn't have Flash preinstalled.
  • Reply 54 of 109
    Like the boss said, this is the future of computing.

You will only get what Steve Jobs wants you to get. Never mind what you want. Still liking it??
  • Reply 55 of 109
    I have the last model macbook air, and I can attest that flash is worthless on the thing. As soon as I put some flash on, it heats up, gets loud, and comes to a standstill. This is true with youtube, hulu, netflix, and even when the fiance wants to play farmville. I was hoping that flash would have been improved on the new model, but not even installing it leads me to believe that the problem is still there.
  • Reply 56 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Like the boss said, this is the future of computing.

You will only get what Steve Jobs wants you to get. Never mind what you want. Still liking it??

Except for the fact that you can install Adobe Flash as you wish. Try again.
  • Reply 57 of 109
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    In my testing on a macbook WebM and HTML 5 implementation of h.264 were both much worse then flash 10.1 in terms of battery life and fan rotation when playing 720p video.

The issue must be browser related, because quicktime movies in HD barely get the fans above 2400 RPM, but on youtube 6,600 is the norm for both flash and non-flash HD videos.
  • Reply 58 of 109
    Wait a minute, before all of you get up in arms about Flash not being on the mac platform by default...

Windows has never had it built in.
  • Reply 59 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Except for the fact that you can install Adobe Flash as you wish. Try again.

I can't. I don't have a MacBook Air. So I take you're word for it.

This being the case, what is the point of the article? Did my iMac not have flash installed? Did I install it? I don't remember doing that. In fact, I never even knew what Flash was until the first iPhone didn't have it and websites didn't correctly.

Not everyone is a geek developer. Please remember that Macs are supposed to be for mere mortals. Isn't that why OSX comes with drivers for nearly every printer? So I don't have to bother with installing stuff and have a great "out of the box" experience? Isn't the "i" in iMac supposed to stand for the internet? Don't you need Flash to see a big percent of the internet?

Well, I think I made my point. At least I did to anyone not under the RDF.
  • Reply 60 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelesler View Post

Wait a minute, before all of you get up in arms about Flash not being on the mac platform by default...

Windows has never had it built in.

Perhaps Adobe has changed their licensing agreements and Apple is no longer allowed to distribute it with new products. It is Adobe's software - not Apple's - to do as they choose.