New MacBook Air ships without Flash installed

Comments

• Reply 81 of 109
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Windows doesn?t ship with Flash Player, Java, or a PDF reader.

People need to stop being hypocrites.
  • Reply 82 of 109
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    This movement by Apple convinces me more about a think I've thinking a lot lately. I'm pretty sure that Apple, in someway I don't know for sure, it's going to release some app to develop Flash-like animations and apps that can be compiled as HTML/JavaScript, just like Flash's SWF's. I could put my hands on fire, that thing it's going to be announced next year with Lion.
  • Reply 83 of 109
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Android>iOS View Post

My froyo Nexus one has flash installed, and it performs quick and flawless. Apple must have not seen this. That's fine though, just one point in the Android column.

And what percentage of all Android phones sold in the last year can even run Froyo? And of the ones that can who knows when it will be available to them?
  • Reply 84 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Dear steve, on phones I agree with you- but no flash on macs?!! I thought it was meant to be an out-of-the-box experience!

Oh good grief, does it come with silverlight installed, or flip4mac, or vlc? This is such non news, people need to just get over it.
  • Reply 85 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Very funny! But I've gotten used to Apple "laptops" overheating under full load, which is why Apple doesn't call them laptops.

Never had an Apple laptop overheat on me since the move from PPC, maybe it's time to upgrade.
  • Reply 86 of 109
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

It is an out of the box experience. Why should flash be pre-installed any more than flip4mac or silverlight - plug-ins are out there and properly coded sites will help you to install them if needed.

I for one have click2flash installed and don't miss flash ever, nor do I have silverlight, the shockwave plug-in - but somehow it never interrupts my viewing experience except for video - and that is simply a case of lazy developers. I can't believe people thing the only way to embed video is flash or HTML5 - this is meant to be a community of tech-savvy users.

Anyway, back on point - if you want third party software, install it yourself.

*Cough* People use click2flash because they don't like flash ... but can't actually live without without it. Otherwise ... just remove the plug-in!!!

I use CoolBook on my MacBook Air (not the ones announced yesterday!) and it does a decent job of keeping it running cooler and longer even when running flash video - although i also keep this to a minimum with click2flash, h264 youtube beta etc Versions of Flash which utilise hardware acceleration on the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M aren't half as 'bad' as they are made out.
  • Reply 87 of 109
    Quote:

My froyo Nexus one has flash installed, and it performs quick and flawless. Apple must have not seen this. That's fine though, just one point in the Android column.

Android users like you are misinformed.

Apple won't allow any plug-ins in Mobile Safari. It's not a "Flash thing."

The MacBook Air runs Mac OS X, which has no restrictions on choice of software.

Apple is not preinstalling the Flash plug-in with the MacBook Air, but they previously did.

AppleInsider speculates this has something to do with Apple's attitude towards Adobe.

Apple licenses PDF from Adobe and has a long history with that company.
  • Reply 88 of 109
    total non news.

In no time most users will end up installing the latest version which runs far better on OS X now anyways. But a headline to get a handful super excited none the less.
  • Reply 89 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevt View Post

*Cough* People use click2flash because they don't like flash ... but can't actually live without without it. Otherwise ... just remove the plug-in!!!

Yes and No. Without the plugin you get pestered every time to install it. With Click2 Flash, you just get a gray box without any prompts or warnings.
  • Reply 90 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

total non news.

In no time most users will end up installing the latest version which runs far better on OS X now anyways. But a headline to get a handful super excited none the less.

Interesting point. I wonder what build of Safari it ships with. On the iPad for example, it used to show a broken plugin icon but on the latest build it does not - just white space. I wonder how Apple dealt with that on the new Air. Anyone know?
  • Reply 91 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

This movement by Apple convinces me more about a think I've thinking a lot lately. I'm pretty sure that Apple, in someway I don't know for sure, it's going to release some app to develop Flash-like animations and apps that can be compiled as HTML/JavaScript, just like Flash's SWF's. I could put my hands on fire, that thing it's going to be announced next year with Lion.

I'd put money on it.

Why else would they sit on the release of the iOS 4.1 SDK terms until two business days before the release of CS5, only to yank em' later after the damage had been done?
  • Reply 92 of 109
    any0one here actually -use- flash? It already, -has-, this ability. I'm quite certain it will be greatly expanded as things go.
  • Reply 93 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

I'd put money on it.

Why else would they sit on the release of the iOS 4.1 SDK terms until two business days before the release of CS5, only to yank em' later after the damage had been done?

They changed the terms afterwards to allow game makers to use third party complied code because Apple wants good games on iOS and without the precompiled 3D code it wasn't going to happen. The Flash iOS compiler got a reprieve because of that and the DOJ inquiry. They couldn't have it both ways.

But those are app related issues not in browser animation solutions. I still think we are going to be waiting a long time for an authoring environment for JS/HTML5 that will be usable by non-coders. Plus, the real power of animation in the browser is going to be the canvas tag and the feature set that is currently available to even hard core coders is quite limited compared to Flash.
  • Reply 94 of 109
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

So you registered (with an inflammatory name to boot), just to make this comment?

Really?

Really??

Thanks for your input. Now, go run and play.

Grow up mate.
  • Reply 95 of 109
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

It's now over 10%, nearly 21% if taking the iPad into account.

A small issue, the USA doesn't account for the world, they do not have a 10% market share.

And why count iPads when talking about PC sales, they are not in the same category. Does Mercedes-Benz count their truck and bus sales with their car sales? after all, they all have wheels and can transport stuff.
  • Reply 96 of 109
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Since I installed Click to Flash I have removed this issue. I just click to allow a particular Flash element I want and all the others stay grayed out (often half a dozen or more an any typical news page). Just running the one you want saves a ton of CPU cycles, battery life and heat!

Click to Flash only solves the Flash problem (most of the time). For any other apps (in isolation or collectively) that peg the CPU, Apple laptops rather quickly get too hot to touch. If this doesn't affect you, fine. It does me and a lot of other people.
  • Reply 97 of 109
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Yes, Flash on Android is incomplete and kludgy and runs down the battery just as fast as it performs. Several more X's in the Android column.
  • Reply 98 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Dear steve, on phones I agree with you- but no flash on macs?!! I thought it was meant to be an out-of-the-box experience!

Remember last time there was Flash pre-installed on a new batch of Macs and it turned out to have a GIANT security hole?

Fool me once shame on you.....

Besides, almost every PC out of the box today doesn't have Flash installed either, it takes 10 seconds to download the latest plugin from Adobe's Website.
  • Reply 99 of 109
    Quote:

Not all Androids are created equal.
  • Reply 100 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Windows doesn?t ship with Flash Player, Java, or a PDF reader.

People need to stop being hypocrites.

Most PC's do come with all that stuff out of the box. Normal people don't understand they are added by Hewlett Packard or Dell or whoever. Not everyone is a tech geek.