Which Mac should i buy...?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am currently an owner of the 2008 model macbook.

I think its time for a new one...

With the new macbook air's just released im not sure what to get.

I know spec wize, the air's processor is slower, and it does not have as much space as my current macbook, so technically a downgrade, but it's sleek sexyness, is just damn sexy. and by the way im looking at the 13"

Then there is the 13" macbook pro, better proc, more ram, and the superdrive.

I dont do anything crazy on the machine, maybe some app development here and there, Both have the nvidia graphics card, hopefully i can play some starcraft on one of the machines, cause the macbook i have was just ugly when installed..

so anyways....what do you guys think? is the air's sexyness a deal breaker? or should i go more tword the pro, which has more functionality, but clunkyer, and much more heavy?

-B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    MBA is not for development in the least. This toy is for sexiness only.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by littlejob View Post

I am currently an owner of the 2008 model macbook.

I think its time for a new one...

With the new macbook air's just released im not sure what to get.

I know spec wize, the air's processor is slower, and it does not have as much space as my current macbook, so technically a downgrade, but it's sleek sexyness, is just damn sexy. and by the way im looking at the 13"

Then there is the 13" macbook pro, better proc, more ram, and the superdrive.

I dont do anything crazy on the machine, maybe some app development here and there, Both have the nvidia graphics card, hopefully i can play some starcraft on one of the machines, cause the macbook i have was just ugly when installed..

so anyways....what do you guys think? is the air's sexyness a deal breaker? or should i go more tword the pro, which has more functionality, but clunkyer, and much more heavy?

-B

Really it depends on how often you'll be taking it out and whether you generally take a large bag and don't mind it being a little heavier. Sexiness is a matter of taste. The Air doesn't have a monopoly on sexy. The unibody MBP is damn sexy too. In fact, I strongly believe the MBP's edge-to-edge glass is much sexier than the Air's painted bezel. The backlit keyboard is also übersexy. I would only choose the Air if portability were my main concern by a wide margin.

The 13" Air has the advantage of that gorgeously high resolution screen, though. But I suspect the 13" MBP might get the high-res screen with the next update (which is the one thing that will have me pining to upgrade my 2009 MBP).
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hmmm....maybe im just looking for something different. I never rellly carried the MBP around casue i had the iPAD and Phone..

i like the sleekness ALOT, i guess what are some of the disadvantages other than the super drive not being there?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by littlejob View Post

hmmm....maybe im just looking for something different. I never rellly carried the MBP around casue i had the iPAD and Phone..

i like the sleekness ALOT, i guess what are some of the disadvantages other than the super drive not being there?

MUCH slower due to slow processor and less RAM. Much less storage space (you can put 1TB in a MacBook Pro). No Ethernet, FireWire or IR port. Much more expensive. No backlit keyboard. Lower battery capacity.

That said, my wife doesn't need the performance, the storage space, the connectivity or the backlit keyboard, so the Air is perfect for her. She will like the light weight and I'll envy her over the high-res screen.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

MUCH slower due to slow processor and less RAM. Much less storage space (you can put 1TB in a MacBook Pro). No Ethernet, FireWire or IR port. Much more expensive. No backlit keyboard. Lower battery capacity.

That said, my wife doesn't need the performance, the storage space, the connectivity or the backlit keyboard, so the Air is perfect for her. She will like the light weight and I'll envy her over the high-res screen.

ok unless you have the i5 or i7 macbook pro there is not a noticeable difference in the proc speed.. wireless is EVERYWHERE, never use the firewire, or IR port. Backlit keyboard is for ppl that need to look at the keyboard when typing...lol

and its just so damn heavy.. hmmmm' well anything with the nvidea is better than my old macbook now..
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ended up getting the 13" pro...

love it.