Very Strange Finder Glitch -- Anybody seen this one?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Some folders won't open in List view (clicking on the folder does nothing), but the contents of the folder show up in Column or Icon view. Then if I go back to List view, I get a blank Finder window with the title "Window." Try this a few times, and eventually the Finder quits and restarts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    You can try deleting the Finder preferences file /Users/<name>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Finder.plist

Move it to trash and alt-right click the Finder to relaunch it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for the suggestion, I may yet try that, but I think the problem is with the folder itself. This procedure seemed to fix it with at least one folder: duplicate folder, create archive, expand archive. The new folder now behaves. I suspect that a bit is set incorrectly for this folder, but I don't know what tool can be used to check this. It isn't in permissions. I tried changing them.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Thanks for the suggestion, I may yet try that, but I think the problem is with the folder itself. This procedure seemed to fix it with at least one folder: duplicate folder, create archive, expand archive. The new folder now behaves. I suspect that a bit is set incorrectly for this folder, but I don't know what tool can be used to check this. It isn't in permissions. I tried changing them.

You could try removing the .DS files too. Programs like File Buddy let you see the file/folder metadata like the bundle bits:

http://www.skytag.com/filebuddy/