Can I use iLife for viewing and Aperture for importing and editing?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Here's my situation.

I'd used iPhoto for years, but recently switched to using Aperture. When setting up Aperture, I "imported" the iPhoto library by electing to leave the photos in their current location (i.e. in the iPhoto library). Any photos I subsequently imported into Aperture were placed in the Aperture library.

With iLife '11 out, I'd now like to use iPhoto as my photo browsing program, since I like all the new features that Aperture is now lacking from a photo-viewing, book creation, etc standpoint. However, I prefer to use Aperture as my photo editing program.

In other words, I'd like to use Aperture to import photos from my camera and do any editing (which I tend to do on nearly every photo); when I want to view or share photos, I'd like to use iPhoto '11. (Since I do some editing on most of my photos, merely using Aperture as an "external editor" from iPhoto is cumbersome).

Is this possible to do? I've tried researching this, but most articles are about moving from iPhoto to Aperture, not back and forth...

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    After editing in Aperture export and trash from Aperture, then import into iPhoto for browsing, selecting, display, book ordering, etc.

OR you could simply wait until "all the new [iPhoto] features that Aperture is now lacking from a photo-viewing, book creation, etc standpoint" have also been added to Aperture in an update or upgrade. How long could that be?

Of course that would require executing a very old-fashioned virtue: patience.

A few years back my iPhoto corrupted* its entire - proprietary! - library, 7,000 photos. I have never trusted it since and only use it to browse large collections of images (if I don't in PhotoMechanic), and then I trash them all from iPhoto again. I keep photos in a Finder set of folders (YY/MM/DD/project - originals/edits/finals), with 3 external backup sets (2, mirrored, on location, 1 off location).

Many OSX users forget to use the Finder's excellent and superfast preview functionality when they just want to browse a folder full of images: open the folder, Select All (Command A), open FinderViewer (Alt-Command-Y) and all the images will pass you by in a fullscreen slideshow. OR you can toggle the light box view onscreen to see the, clickable, images in rows and columns, navigable by mouse/cursor/trackpad or by the arrow keys on the keyboard.

*luckily I had a good, separate (= non-iPhoto) backup set.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    You can view your Aperture library from within iPhoto.

In the Menu bar, select FILE and come down to SHOW APERTURE LIBRARY. Then drag and drop the images you want to where you want them in iPhoto.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

You can view your Aperture library from within iPhoto.

In the Menu bar, select FILE and come down to SHOW APERTURE LIBRARY. Then drag and drop the images you want to where you want them in iPhoto.

Of course you will have duplicates in different libraries...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks, all for your responses. I guess, ultimately, there's really no way to do what I want (unless I don't mind having duplicated files all over the place...