Apple updates iPhoto to fix data loss bug, modifies iTunes sidebar

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple released Friday an update to iPhoto to resolve a data loss problem that can occur when upgrading one's library to iPhoto '11. The company also quietly modified the sidebar in its iTunes software to bring back Genius Recommendations.

iPhoto

Shortly after the release of iPhoto '11, an Apple Support forum thread appeared with a number of users reporting problems upgrading their iPhoto libraries, sometimes resulting in corrupted libraries and data loss.

Though Apple touts the library upgrade process as "generally safe and reliable," it recommends that all customers download and install iPhoto software update iPhoto 9.0.1 before updating to iPhoto '11. Apple unveiled iPhoto '11 as part of the iLife '11 software suite at its Oct. 20 "Back to the Mac" event, adding features such as new full screen modes, Facebook enhancements and letterpress cards. The update to iPhoto 9.0.1 can be downloaded from the Apple Support website or through Software Update.

Users who have already tried unsuccessfully to upgrade their iPhoto libraries are advised to install iPhoto update 9.0.1 before attempting to upgrade again.

iTunes

Apple also updated its iTunes media management software, although the changes don't require a software update, according to MacStories. The Cupertino, Calif., company has rechristened the "Ping Sidebar" that was introduced with iTunes 10.0.1 as the "iTunes Sidebar," restoring the much-missed Genius Recommendations section of the sidebar.

Meanwhile, some users have reported recent issues with iTunes, including problems downloading music or videos and being unable to view or post App Store reviews, though the problems do not seem to be particularly widespread.

Ping, Apple's attempt at a social networking music service, received a mixed reception when it was released alongside iTunes 10 in September. Despite critics' disappointment, the service attracted 1 million users in its first 48 hours of availability. Apple has since made minor improvements to the service, which reviewers took as a good sign that the fledgling service has promise.

Integration with social networking site Facebook was originally planned for the Ping service, but the plans were eventually dropped when Apple and Facebook couldn't agree on terms for a partnership. Rumors that the two companies are close to inking a deal gained credibility when it was revealed that Apple CEO Steve Jobs had invited Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to his house to discuss Ping over dinner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Sidebar!? Who cares about the sidebar.

How about just putting the x ? + buttons back to where/how they should be, Apple. Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    "oh hey, here's a new release of iphoto. buy it and install it, but don't launch it thereby upgrading your library until we put out an update to it, k?"

wtf? i would imagine that the majority of people who bought '11 already installed it and tried to use it.

the apple support forums for this version of iphoto are rife with various bug reports. this update is just more evidence that apple really did rush this release at the expense of quality.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sidebar!? Who cares about the sidebar.

How about just putting the x ? + buttons back to where/how they should be, Apple. Thanks.

Quit iTunes.

Open Terminal and paste the line below?

defaults write com.apple.iTunes full-window -1

Quit Terminal and launch iTunes.

You're welcome.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

"oh hey, here's a new release of iphoto. buy it and install it, but don't launch it thereby upgrading your library until we put out an update to it, k?"

wtf? i would imagine that the majority of people who bought '11 already installed it and tried to use it.

And the majority of users who installed it had absolutely no problem with iPhoto 11 upgrading the library.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

And the majority of users who installed it had absolutely no problem with iPhoto 11 upgrading the library.

No problems here.

Everybody should have a backup, anyways. Two here, one at home, one at the office.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Quit iTunes.

You're welcome.

Thank you!
  • Reply 7 of 24
    after upgrading to ilife 11 i did get the problem and my 38gb library got shrunk to 5gb and i couldn't see any of my pics... my backup saved all of my pictures and i didn't loose anything... lucky me.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Nice going Apple. I guess you didn't learn anything from the Aperture situation.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

Quit iTunes.

You're welcome.

Wow. You've got to be kidding me. (I don't mess up something, somewhere else do I? )

Thanks so much, Chris_CA. This is great.

Aside: Why couldn't Apple provide this as a view option? What are they trying to achieve with the vertical placement?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SEOsudo View Post

I am more upset to hear that the new iTunes thwarts your ability to make ringtones at will. Don't really care about the Ping service.

You can still make ringtones yourself (by creating a snippet, then converting to an .m4r file, etc.; simply google it), but I too miss the ringtone creation feature from within iTunes -- the volume level was better, as was the ability to fade in and fade out. (Adjusting the volume in Options, under Info, before conversion, does not seem to do much; also there appears to be no options to fade in/fade out).
  • Reply 11 of 24
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I hate iPhoto. I'm an active photographer and this is an awful program. The sheer stupidity of an app that imports your photos into an internal database thereby doubling up on disc space usage and doubling file management duties - rather than just allowing you to tell it where you choose to keep your photos and to just live with your decision and go with it.

They keep doing this sort of thing with iTunes. I remember one iteration that had a genre pane you could not remove except via the terminal. Very annoying.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Aside: Why couldn't Apple provide this as a view option? What are they trying to achieve with the vertical placement?

Less wasted space. Don't be surprised if you see Lion use this across the board.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I hate iPhoto. I'm an active photographer and this is an awful program. The sheer stupidity of an app that imports your photos into an internal database thereby doubling up on disc space usage and doubling file management duties - rather than just allowing you to tell it where you choose to keep your photos.

Why are you doubling your photos? As with iTunes (and both are aimed at the general consumer market, not professionals) the idea is to add them to iPhoto and let iPhoto manage them.

Get rid of the original elsewhere.

And you can keep the photos wherever you want.

iPhoto prefs > Advanced. Uncheck Copy photos to iPhoto library.

The files will stay wherever they are and will not be copied into the iPhoto folder.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

No problems here.

Everybody should have a backup, anyways. Two here, one at home, one at the office.

I know about the whole "it doesn't exist if you don't have three copies" of everything... but c'mon! Who has the money to do this other than, say Alex Lindsay? Some of us can hardly afford one back-up.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

No problems here.

Exactly. Anyone without several backups of their iPhoto and Aperture Libraries are nuts.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I know about the whole "it doesn't exist if you don't have three copies" of everything... but c'mon! Who has the money to do this other than, say Alex Lindsay? Some of us can hardly afford one back-up.

Oh come on , hard drives are very inexpensive these days. Hey you can use dirt cheap internal SATA drives and hook them up when needed with anyone of several gizmos to allow this via FireWire. I use this one I got from OWC: The Quad Interface SATA I/II
Hard Drive Docking Solution. It totally rocks. TIP: I place a cover on the internal drives to protect their circuit boards.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...y/FWU2ES2HDK/a
  • Reply 17 of 24
    The version numbers are making this confusing.

iPhoto 8.x = iPhoto '09

iPhoto 9.x = iPhoto '11

As best I can tell you need to

1. Install iLife '11

2. Install iPhoto 9.0.1

3. Launch iPhoto '11 to let it upgrade your library
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh come on , hard drives are very inexpensive these days. Hey you can use dirt cheap internal SATA drives and hook them up when needed with anyone of several gizmos to allow this via FireWire. I use this one I got from OWC: The Quad Interface SATA I/II
Hard Drive Docking Solution. It totally rocks. TIP: I place a cover on the internal drives to protect their circuit boards.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...y/FWU2ES2HDK/a

Wow. Great idea!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Wow. Great idea!

Available on Amazon for $30. Read the reviews before you order.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Less wasted space. Don't be surprised if you see Lion use this across the board.

Re the vertical controls... I don't think it's about saving space, not directly. It's about alignment. Every single control in the toolbar is perfectly aligned vertically. That wouldn't be so if the window controls were where they normally are. Now, yes, they're vertical, but the middle yellow button is in light vertically with all the other controls.

If you look at screenshots of new or upgraded software in lion the same pattern immerges. Ex, the new mac app store, the controls aren't vertical, but they are moved down so that they line up vertically with all the other controls. In iTunes therefore, it is sort of about saving space, there wouldn't be enough room to vertically align them (by moving them down) if they were horizontal, so they opted to make them vertical.

This is only my guess, but I think Im onto something.

Greg.