Always have to unplug & plugin my Airport Express for new connection

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I constantly have to unplug my AirPort Express to reset my internet connection because my connection drops every half day or so. Sometimes every few hours depending on what I'm downloading. If I don't download anything my connection is fine but as soon as I start downloading whether it's through Bittorrent, or simply any Safari or Firefox browser download window, I lose my internet connection every few hours. That's when I have to unplug my Airport Express from the wall, plug it back in and reboot my MacBook or turn off the MacBook Airport connection then turn it back on in order to connect to the new IP that the Airport Express obtained.

My connection is via PPPoE on my MacBook here in Japan.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Is this all in one and the same location? Or is this in varying locations? It is after all a MacBook.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Is this all in one and the same location? Or is this in varying locations? It is after all a MacBook.

All in same house but in my case I don't think locale has to do with anything because this is quite regular and I've NEVER had anything close to this problem before in my previous places when I wasn't on PPPoE. My previous connections have been regular setups with LAN cable. Connect my LAN and off you go. For some reason the ISP I'm using now had me set up via PPPoE which was all archaic right from the start. At first I thought it was my ISP / torrent related but it's not because it happens with all sorts of downloads.

If I'm torrenting and download speeds stop, I can delay the cutting off of my internet connection and start downloading again if I quit the torrent app. It's really weird. Like there is some sort of bandwidth monitoring / shaping mechanism.