Free converter tool from VOB to MOV or mp4 ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited April 2014
I'm looking for a good tool to convert a VOB file (with its sound track) to a file that QT could play in Snow Leopard. I want to preserve the original file's screen size and quality (HD).

Any suggestion ?

I'm trying Handbrake, but how do I convert the VOB file to full HD, without any loss ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

I'm looking for a good tool to convert a VOB file (with its sound track) to a file that QT could play in Snow Leopard. I want to preserve the original file's screen size and quality (HD).

Any suggestion ?

I'm trying Handbrake, but how do I convert the VOB file to full HD, without any loss ?

Free ffmpeg.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

Any suggestion ?

Perian should play back mpeg-2 files. The Apple mpeg-2 components does too but doesn't have good audio support:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A

If you absolutely want to convert it, you'd make sure to increase the bitrate based on the frame size. VOB will be SD size not HD so you'd be scaling it up. There's not much reason to do this. If you encode at 720 x 404 with 2Mbits H.264, that should preserve as much detail as you need. If Handbrake doesn't work, you can try using iSquint for it but set your keyframes to 24 for smooth scrubbing.
  • Reply 3 of 3

VOB is the Video Object file that allows you to contain audio and video files along with menu and subtitles in DVD-Video media. If you have gotten VOB files copied or extracted from DVD and want to convert the VOB files to other common formats like AVI, MP4, WMV, MOV, FLV, F4V, etc for playback, edit or other purposes,then you need a third party program like Brorsoft Video Converter to help you.