New Mac Pro Configuration

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Did anyone else notice the new Mac Pro configuration on the Apple Store? It's called the "Server" and comes with 2 x HD and OS X server, similar to the Mini of the same name.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Not an acceptable solution for the EOL of their actual server.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stepfarser View Post

but it is actually quite a brilliant idea IMO.

Why? No GPU swap so you have to buy the kit separately for extra, no ability to drop to one Apple drive so you're wasting money on an extra terabyte.

Horrible idea. Worthless solution to killing their last hope of gaining business ground.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? No GPU swap so you have to buy the kit separately for extra, no ability to drop to one Apple drive so you're wasting money on an extra terabyte.

Servers are about hosting and managing files, not rendering images or playing games. This new server configuration of the Mac Pro has substantially more capacity than can to added to the 1U Xserve. An extra terabyte? Wasted? How is a terabyte wasted in a server?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stepfarser View Post

but it is actually quite a brilliant idea IMO.

No it's not. I need LOM, redundant power supplies, hardware RAID & SAS support. This is all kinds of screwing our future deployments up. Xsans need 2 metadata controllers. Are we expected to use 12U of rack space? Minis have no Fiber card options, we'd have no choice but to go with Mac Pros.

This sucks.

Mark my words, next to go is Xsan if they don't have a server replacement in the wings in January.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Servers are about hosting and managing files, not rendering images or playing games.

Or, you know, rendering.

Quote:

This new server configuration of the Mac Pro has substantially more capacity than can to added to the 1U Xserve.

Four bays instead of three. OOOOOH. Oh, and you can't use SSDs with the Apple RAID card.

Quote:

An extra terabyte? Wasted? How is a terabyte wasted in a server?

When you could buy three terabytes in one bay for the cost of that worthless second standard drive.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or, you know, rendering.

Four bays instead of three. OOOOOH. Oh, and you can't use SSDs with the Apple RAID card.

When you could buy three terabytes in one bay for the cost of that worthless second standard drive.

Render farms were not always constructed of servers. I've built a Linux cluster out from PC parts. They ain't all that. Rack-mountable servers are an efficient way to stack processing power. Storage capacity is not much of a consideration for a render farm. OTOH, you rant and rave about SSD on a server? Not a good choice for this application.