Leaked Apple dead pixel policy allows two for iPad, none for iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's official internal policy on replacing devices with dead LCD pixels leaked this week, revealing that the company will replace an iPhone if it has just one dead pixel, while an iPad must have at least three to qualify.

The internal Apple document, leaked by Boy Genius Report, reveals the loose guidelines employees must follow when a customer attempts to return a device with bad pixels on its display. Just one dead pixel is good enough for a replacement on a device with a screen size of between 1 inch and 3.5 inches.

Apple's 9.7-inch iPad display must have three or more dead pixels for the unit to qualify for a replacement. Things get a bit more complicated with larger screens -- including laptops, iMacs and the company's Cinema Display -- as a distinction is made between "bright" and "dark" faulty pixels.

Apple Store Geniuses are, however, given some leeway. The internal document states that authorized service providers must explain to the customer that they can replace the product, but that replacement may have even more dead pixels or other issues. Apple will not replace the product again if the replacement product is within the written guidelines.

Members of Apple's retail team also contacted TUAW to clarify the company's policy even further:

"If you ask for a first replacement product due to bad pixels, you should always get it, with no arguments and no restock charges (if this isn't your first experience, ask to discuss it with a supervisor)," the report said. "However, if the replacement unit is still within spec -- which for anything other than an iPhone or iPod touch, may mean more pixels depending on how bad the first unit was -- a second replacement is ruled out."

Dead pixels are a somewhat common occurrence on LCD displays. They can stand out as either a dark or light spot on a screen on any of Apple's products with displays.

A number of confidential internal support documents from Apple leaked this week, including one that revealed that the company is working on a software fix for issues with its new thin-and-light MacBook Air notebooks. Some users have experienced display issues, including horizontal screen flickering and fading.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Weird, in that if a pixel was out on an iPhone 4, I doubt I'd even be able to see it. While on an iPad, they stick out like sore thumbs.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goofball_Jones View Post

Weird, in that if a pixel was out on an iPhone 4, I doubt I'd even be able to see it. While on an iPad, they stick out like sore thumbs.

True, and they probably won?t have many people have issues because of ?a? dead pixel for that reason, but note that the policy is based on display size, not on pixel size, where pixel sizes are even larger as displays get larger.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This is nothing new for Apple, they had the same policy on the original TFT black and White display on the Powebooks, If I remember correctly you could have zero stuck on (black) and up to 5 Stuck off (white) at the time
  • Reply 4 of 35
    EDIT: Removed. Duplicate.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    This is really great support. Does any other display maker replace the first time even if it is in spec? I remember replacing another brand display because the backlight failed. No dead pixels. It came back with dozens of them and they would not replace. I was pretty pissed. I pretty much just stick to Apple, Samsung, and Panasonic for displays now. So far I've been happy.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Is there an app for killing pixels yet?
  • Reply 7 of 35
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

This is really great support. Does any other display maker replace the first time even if it is in spec? I remember replacing another brand display because the backlight failed. No dead pixels. It came back with dozens of them and they would not replace. I was pretty pissed. I pretty much just stick to Apple, Samsung, and Panasonic for displays now. So far I've been happy.

the mac displays are 9 bad pixels i think. i haven't bought a monitor in years, but this number sounds pretty high and way higher than what apple should be since they are a premium brand

i checked dell and they will exchange a monitor with less bad pixels than apple
  • Reply 8 of 35
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Well if my new 27" iMac gets any dead pixels within my 3 year warranty period Apple is gonna replace it, I will make such a stink about the issue that they'd replace just to get rid of me!
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Most resellers, Including Apple Stores will take them back or get them fixed if it is just one pixel. With this economy the customer is king and if you need to whine a little it seems to work.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Poor dead pixel, never had a chance.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    I heard a couple people saying that 15 pixels on the 21.5" iMac was too much. Is it just me, or is 15 pixels 0.00072337963% of all the pixels?

~Callum
  • Reply 12 of 35
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    I, for one, cant stand to see dead pixels. Thats like looking into my car windshield, with that small pebble crack right in my line of sight....
  • Reply 13 of 35
    For business grade screens from other companies (philips), they have zero bright pixel warranties. I would expect the same from apple on the 27 inch iMacs, MacBook Pros and the cinema displays.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Just got my iPad replaced, it had only one dead pixel.

The new pad was ok.

Excellent service, way to go Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

Most high quality display makers have policies much more stringent than apples. Some HP displays carried a ZERO defective pixel guarantee. Apple should be doing the same. I've never had a device with a defective pixel before though. But Apple makes premium goods, and should have a premium policy instead of this policy which basically lets your display have a huge number of bad pixels compared to a number of other manufacturers. This is an Apple FAIL not WIN. Yes 15 dark pixels is HUGE, and a sign of very low quality manufacturing.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

Many now have a zero dead pixel policy. This would include HP, Samsung and many others. Even someone like Vizio has a zero dead pixel policy on their Tv's.

With that being said I have had Apple replace my iMac even with one dead pixel. No one ever gave me a problem.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    Keep in mind that Apple's displays usually have a much higher pixel density than a normal display ... even though there might be one dead pixel because they're packed in really densely it's harder to detect than on a lower density screen (where it can be painfully obvious).
  • Reply 18 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Many now have a zero dead pixel policy. This would include HP, Samsung and many others. Even someone like Vizio has a zero dead pixel policy on their Tv's.

With that being said I have had Apple replace my iMac even with one dead pixel. No one ever gave me a problem.

If this leak is genuine and is adhered to by Apple, I think it's poor that a company who tries to push an AIO as their main computer would accept as many as 15 faulty pixels before repair or replacement. It should be a zero dead pixel policy. It's not as if they're going to lose loads of money as the number of defects should be small.

What they need to do is design the iMac screens to be easy to pull out and replace.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the mac displays are 9 bad pixels i think. i haven't bought a monitor in years, but this number sounds pretty high and way higher than what apple should be since they are a premium brand

i checked dell and they will exchange a monitor with less bad pixels than apple

It's really somewhat complex. It also depends on where the pixels are. If they're near the center of the screen, they will replace it even if there are fewer bad ones. If they're near the edge, then it's the full number.

My iPad developed one bad pixel right near one of the long edges. But after a couple of weeks, it fixed itself. Then it developed another one about 3/16 from the other long edge. That one resolved itself after about 6 weeks. Since then, it's been fine.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's really somewhat complex. It also depends on where the pixels are. If they're near the center of the screen, they will replace it even if there are fewer bad ones. If they're near the edge, then it's the full number.

My iPad developed one bad pixel right near one of the long edges. But after a couple of weeks, it fixed itself. Then it developed another one about 3/16 from the other long edge. That one resolved itself after about 6 weeks. Since then, it's been fine.

It also makes a difference if the pixels are adjacent or distributed on the screen.