Apple Operating Philosophy

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been doing some thinking about Apple and the way they launch insanely great products. Steve Jobs really has a great system down. BUT lets say that we ignore all the technical capabilities, design teams, and everything else that apple has.

Here's my hypothesis for core Apple operating philosophies. I've seen these consistently with the launches of the new iPods, iPad, and the new Macbook Air.

I. They never lose sight of building their core competencies.

Apple has always allowed for rapid development of OSX, which Steve Jobs has alluded to multiple times as an important part of the business

2. They have always learnt lessons from previous launches.

See the new Macbook Air Ad: Apple - Mac

3. They never compromise on their vision

We all know this.

4. Focus on making profits

They delay features until they can make profits off of them, and then include them in the new launches. We know this, they underpower a lot of their laptops compared to windows counterparts.

5. Secrecy

Gotta keep things secret! Otherwise everyone else will be in a better competitive position

Anyone else have any other ideas? Am I missing something big?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm most impressed with the vision and focus.

Apple doesn't fall victim to feature bloat as much as their competitors because they don't try to be all things to all people.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm most impressed with the vision and focus.

Apple doesn't fall victim to feature bloat as much as their competitors because they don't try to be all things to all people.

That, and using "second tier" components. (Mostly in the CPU and GPU area.) Sure there a bit slower than the cutting edge stuff in an Alienware box, but they are SO MUCH CHEAPER allowing for profit - R&D - better future products. And the stuff they DO use is still pretty powerful!... even today, a C2D has more power than most of Apples customers will ever use.

SpecWhores will never be satisfied though... so we still get the entertaining complaining on here.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Their philosophy is to do it their way.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    +1 Ireland. No matter what, they do it their way. Cheaper components? Customer service snafus? Par for the course. We'll apologize later.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eslocklier View Post

+1 Ireland. No matter what, they do it their way. Cheaper components? Customer service snafus? Par for the course. We'll apologize later.

Apple has the highest customer satisfaction in the industry. Does this make it perfect? No. It does, however, mean that it is better than every other computer manufacturer.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    They also make their products as user friendly as possible.

Learning how to use Apple is pretty easy even if you have

been using Windows for years, in contrast, most Apple users

have a hard time adapting to Windows.