Gartner: Apple's 'stellar' 13.5M iPhone sales held back by supply issues

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

According to the chart, the market nearly doubled for smartphones in the period under study.

Apple's sales nearly doubled too - they kept up with the market, losing a few tenths of a percent.

But RIM's sales didn't double. Nor did Nokia's smartphone sales. They are fading.

Yep, just like I said!
  • Reply 22 of 33
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Hey Steve, is Google still faking those activation numbers or what?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    I agree , I work for hong kong iPhone suppler for china grey market , in hong kong , iPhone sale may be over 40000 iPhones per day in hk if apple gives us enough . Foxconn can make about 140k iPhones per day. But now hk apple online store and china online store have stopped taking iPhone orders due to crazy demands.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So is Apple doomed or not?

Yes.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

All the companies I mentioned had good YoY growth of unit sales.

Yes Sol, but growth is relative.

Symbian's growth of 61% is pretty good. But compared to the rest of the market (124% !) it loses a little of it's shine.

RIM's growth of 40% looks pretty good also . But compared to the rest of the market (111% !) it appears to be pretty poor.

That's all I'm sayin'.

The bottom line is that this HAS been the year of Android! However Apple's iPhone has not been a loser. All the major analysts have iPhone's market share UP for the 9 months of 2010. iPhone sales will have to drop down the toilet in order to avoid GAINING share in 2010. The biggest losers will be Microsoft, RIM and Nokia (Symbian).
  • Reply 26 of 33
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

The biggest losers will be Microsoft, RIM and Nokia (Symbian).

it's really doubtful that wp7 will continue to hemorrhage share like WinMo6 did. I would expect WP7 share to come at the expense of Android.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

There currently exists no single "iPhone-Killer." Simply because the competition doesn't know how to make one.

You need to watch more National Geographic. Haven't you ever seen the video where a pack of jackyls takes down a huge ox? Or a nest of ants kills a rodent? Or perhaps you've heard stories about swarms of bees killing people.

There doesn't have to be a single phone that takes on the iPhone. It's iOS vs Android, not iPhone vs any one other phone.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Wasn't it 14.1 million?

iPhone channel inventory went up by 825,000 units.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

All the companies I mentioned had good YoY growth of unit sales.

They were unable to even keep up with the overall market or the average-performing players. If that is " good YoY growth of unit sales", then I am unsure of why that is the case.

ISTM that the performance was less than mediocre. Mediocre would have been if they had barely kept up with the market average, like Apple. But their growth was not even mediocre, much less good.

I won't choose a word to describe it.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

You need to watch more National Geographic. Haven't you ever seen the video where a pack of jackyls takes down a huge ox? Or a nest of ants kills a rodent? Or perhaps you've heard stories about swarms of bees killing people.

There doesn't have to be a single phone that takes on the iPhone. It's iOS vs Android, not iPhone vs any one other phone.

Please delete the part attributed to me. I did not make those statements. Why did you jigger the quotes?
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:

Yet another example of execution errors. Isn't that Tim Cook's job?

I thought you'd be more happy that clearly globally Android kicked Apple's ass. At least in terms of units sold. I wonder how many of those Android phones run Flash smoothly though. (that was a reverse-troll manoeuvre)
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Hey Steve, is Google still faking those activation numbers or what?

Steve will have to reconsider his next statements. But once you include iOS numbers, they come close to Android, though there are Android tablets not shown in this report.

We'll see what Steve says next. Should be interesting.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple just surpassed RIM with ONE (at most two) phones locked to a single carrier in the US - the US being the largest smartphone market.

In NZ Apple sells three iPhone models.