Apple doesn't have licensing deals in place to stream music - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple does not have the explicit rights to offer an iTunes music subscription service, or to allow customers the ability to stream their libraries to connected devices, music industry sources have indicated.

Information given to Peter Kafka of MediaMemo suggests that it is "unlikely" that either music streaming or subscription plans will be announced by Apple on Tuesday. Sources in the music industry said that Apple does not have the rights to roll out a subscription service, nor can it allow users to stream content they buy.

Kafka noted that Apple does not necessarily have to have a deal in place to offer streaming, but added that it would be "hard to see Apple announcing a service without signed paperwork."

If true, the rumors would suggest that Apple has failed to make much headway in negotiations with content providers in recent months. A report in August on the prospect of an iTunes cloud service said it would be "modest in scope" if it launched within the next few months.

But that hasn't stopped speculation that Apple on Tuesday could unveil a new cloud-based service that would allow users to access their content from an Internet-connected device. Apple sent the tech community buzzing on Monday, when it suggested on its website that an unforgettable "exciting announcement" regarding iTunes would be announced Tuesday at 10 a.m. Eastern, 7 a.m. Pacific.

Some have also dug up evidence of streaming support in the newly released iTunes 10.1. A new, previously unseen reference to "iTunes Live Stream URL" was discovered this week within the newly updated software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    lala had the deals.

In any case, if Apple makes all my iTunes purchases available to me via the cloud that woudl be great. If I can upload my non iTunes content to the cloud as well that would be awesome.

If Apple opens iTunes to all platforms via the cloud that would be great too.

The interface will make all the difference.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Maybe they finally have the Beatles' albums? Maybe that's what all of this hub bub is about.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

lala had the deals.

In any case, if Apple makes all my iTunes purchases available to me via the cloud that woudl be great. If I can upload my non iTunes content to the cloud as well that would be awesome.

If Apple opens iTunes to all platforms via the cloud that would be great too.

The interface will make all the difference.

Time will tell.

This was my first thought. I loved Lala's service and was a bit peeved at Apple for shutting it down. Here's hopin'
  • Reply 4 of 16
    All I want is to stream my music and movies to any device I choose to from where ever I am. I am so tired of hearing about the movie and music industries trying to keep everyone in the dark with their liscensing deals. Why do we have cables anymore for anything?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Maybe they finally have the Beatles' albums? Maybe that's what all of this hub bub is about.

If this is regarding the Beatles....who cares anymore. If anyone really wanted their music and they dont already have it, they can find it for free online.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I'd like Apple to offer me a monthly subscription which gives me so many free tracks per month, like Napster, then I'd like to stream from my idevice to my Sonos via AirPlay. Highly unlikely anytime soon, but one can live in hope.

I hate having to have my MBP on when I'm using the Sonos app with iPhone/iPad.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Seems likely that any digital purchases made with your account through iTunes will now be "backed up" there, in case of a catastrophic data loss event on the user side. Would only be fair, since Amazon already does this.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Seems likely that any digital purchases made with your account through iTunes will now be "backed up" there, in case of a catastrophic data loss event on the user side. Would only be fair, since Amazon already does this.

I’ve never heard of Apple not let users restore all their purchased content if they did lose their data. You just send a message from with the iTunes Store in iTunes and within a day you’re downloading every and all files you’ve ever purchased. Video rentals not included.

Of course, being able to do it on your own without going iTunes Support would be nice inclusion.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    It says "an exciting announcement FROM iTunes"...

...not ABOUT iTunes.

It could simply mean the announcement is coming via iTunes live streaming.

...but the announcement itself could be about anything.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sources in the music industry said that Apple does not have the rights to roll out a subscription service, nor can it allow users to stream content they buy.

The streaming rights thing makes little sense (though that doesn't mean the music industry won't jump on it!).

If my music is stored on my iDisk... is accessing it there streaming?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwoot27 View Post

If this is regarding the Beatles....who cares anymore. If anyone really wanted their music and they dont already have it, they can find it for free online.

I agree.

Even by Apple standards, the hyperbole in this one is thick.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    801801 Posts: 271member
    This story is a red herring.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

or to allow customers the ability to stream their libraries to connected devices

I've always been puzzled by this. Why would I need the music industry's permission to stream my content to my devices? Do I need to negotiate with them every time I ssh to my computer at home?! Even if it's coming from the cloud, how is that any different? It's still my music.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwoot27 View Post

Why do we have cables anymore for anything?

Bandwidth. The answer is simple. No wireless technology comes close.

Lots of people have fiber optic connections to the 'web. Try getting that kind of power with wireless.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icazzi View Post

I've always been puzzled by this. Why would I need the music industry's permission to stream my content to my devices? Do I need to negotiate with them every time I ssh to my computer at home?! Even if it's coming from the cloud, how is that any different? It's still my music.

Because you are not streaming. Apple is streaming.

You don't need permission. Apple does.

MP3.com tried your model years ago, got sued, and got shut down.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Downpour View Post

It says "an exciting announcement FROM iTunes"...

...not ABOUT iTunes.

It could simply mean the announcement is coming via iTunes live streaming.

...but the announcement itself could be about anything.

That is like saying "an exciting announcement from the Hope Diamond". iTunes is not a being. It cannot make announcements. iTunes is a brand name for a service offered by Apple.

So I doubt that the word FROM is used in the manner you indicate. That would make no more sense than claiming that the Hope Diamond announced that it is getting a new setting.