Viewers pull plug on US cable television

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Viewers pull plug on US cable television

Are we seeing the beginning of the end for cable TV?

I haven't had cable in years, opting to go with over-the-air TV and Internet-based options.

Recently I subscribed to Netflix - for $10/month I can watch unlimited streaming movies and TV shows and have 1 DVD at a time through their mail service.

I love it. No commercials, excellent quality, and I get to watch what I want when I want. I can also watch it on my iPod via the Netflix app.

Granted, Netflix does not have every movie and TV show ever made available to watch via their streaming service, but they have a wide enough selection for my tastes.

With cable and satellite, I've never really understood why we have to pay for so many channels we never watch and have to endure commercials on top of that.

I think as more and more people discover the possibilities that open up when connecting a computer to their TVs, they will drop the traditional cable and satellite in favor of services such as Netflix, Hulu, and of course iTunes!

The only reason I can see for having cable or satellite is if you are an avid sports fan - but even then I think as web-based sports TV services such as espn3.com become more popular, the sports leagues will want to tap more into that market and more options will become available.