Getting an ipad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I'm getting an ipad next month and was wondering what things I should be aware of and what are some great apps for it since I am a student!

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lazerbyte View Post

I'm getting an ipad next month and was wondering what things I should be aware of and what are some great apps for it since I am a student!

Thanks!

My only recommendation is that you should check for free apps at the App Store regularly, before you get your iPad, and also go to http://ipad.freeappalert.com every day and download any temporarily free apps that you think you might like, so that you have a collection of apps that might or might not ordinarily be free by the time you get your iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Congrats! Welcome to a new world.

You might also just want to browse the App Store. This will take time, but you will get a feel for what apps are available. Make sure that you click on the iPad apps button at the top... my browser defaults to iPhone apps; yours might, too.

As you say you're a student, you might want to start by browsing the Education category. There are about 4000 apps there right now, paid and free. Some are for language learning, some for managing your classes. There were 25 new apps posted just today. You can also search... for example in iTunes, at the top right, enter Student and click return. Scroll down past the podcasts and iTunes U and upu'll see a section "iPad Apps" with "See all>" beside it. Click on the See All and you will have a lot to see!

You are a student so I will assume money is tight. Check out the free apps as suggested, but also give the reviews a good read before buying.

Lastly, if you have an iPhone or are getting one of those, too, you might enjoy knowing that some apps will run nicely on both so you get two for one.

About the physical side of the iPad, grab a good case if you are going to be lugging it around campus. It will get bumped and squashed. It is an investment; protect it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    If you will be carrying your new iPad in your bag, it is

very important to get a sturdy case for it. You can find

many cases online but don't over spend on a case. Some

of the cheaper cases work just as well as the most

expensive of them.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Congratulations! You should wait a bit, I'm sure they'll be on special. Probably that's why you'll be getting it in a month right?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbjork View Post

Congratulations! You should wait a bit, I'm sure they'll be on special. Probably that's why you'll be getting it in a month right?

No, they won't be "on special". Apple doesn't do discounts on iDevices. The only discount they ever do is Black Friday for their computers.