Silent service, hunt for red october, sub simulator wanted

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I continue to check tha AppStore to look for a submarine simulator, back in the 90s these were among my favorite games on the atari st. I am surprised after all of these thousands and thousands of apps for the iPhone and iPad no one has attempted to make one. They are very slow with the game play more akin to chess but they were great in my opinion. I think the hunt for red October was made by microprose and was really well done, it incorporated towed array and sosus and was fairly realistic. I hope a game developer sees this and perhaps make a ton of money making one, I for one will buy it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury7 View Post

I hope a game developer sees this and perhaps make a ton of money making one, I for one will buy it.

Subsims don't make a ton of money and unfortunately not many buy them. Those that do tend to be...picky...about the realism. Sometimes very vocally so...

You should email Sonalysts and see if if they're thinking doing an app. Not too likely in my opinion. If you don't own their Dangerous Waters sim, it's only $15 now.

http://www.subsim.com/store.html
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Yeah, I am sure my interest is rooted in being a sosus analyst in the Navy back in the 80s, it was a great job, I got out in 90 and shortly after I think they turned it over to whale trackers lol.... But I have a ton of cool stories tracking the Soviet fleet

Btw, I am sure that is also why I preferred the Hunt for Red October sim over the uboat sims, it incorporated stuff like towed array, semi realistic ocean conditions to determine the subs detection probabilities etc and just lots of stuff I was familiar with.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury7 View Post

Yeah, I am sure my interest is rooted in being a sosus analyst in the Navy back in the 80s, it was a great job, I got out in 90 and shortly after I think they turned it over to whale trackers lol.... But I have a ton of cool stories tracking the Soviet fleet

Btw, I am sure that is also why I preferred the Hunt for Red October sim over the uboat sims, it incorporated stuff like towed array, semi realistic ocean conditions to determine the subs detection probabilities etc and just lots of stuff I was familiar with.

If you don't have Dangerous Waters I think you really would enjoy it. Sonalysts' day job is writing sonar models for the Navy.