News Corp, Apple building tablet-only iPad newspaper - rumor

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Media giant News Corp may be working directly with Apple to build an all-new newspaper built specifically for the iPad, set to launch in the coming months at a cost of 99 cents per week.

According to high-end women's fashion journal Women's Wear Daily, News Corp CEO Rupert Murdoch and Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs have worked together closely on the project, which will be called The Daily. It said that Jobs and Murdoch could appear onstage together to unveil the new product.

But The Guardian in the U.K. went one step further, and said that the tablet-only project will be a joint effort between News Corp and Apple. The product, which will not have a print edition or web edition, will allegedly be developed with assistance from Apple engineers.

However, the product will not be iPad-only, the reports said. News Corp's The Daily will reportedly be available for other tablet devices, though Murdoch is said to believe the iPad will be a "game changer," as the device most families use to get their news and information.

The tablet publication will reportedly be run from the 26th floor of the News Corp offices in New York, where 100 journalists have been hired. The product could be announced alongside a rumored newspaper subscription plan Apple is said to be working on.

Apple is also rumored to be creating a new standalone application that will serve as a digital newsstand for magazines and newspapers. Like iBooks makes books available through a separate application, Apple's newsstand will reportedly be created specifically for newspapers and magazines.

A News Corp executive recently confirmed that the company is working on an iPad specific publication set to launch in the U.S. in the coming months. The newspaper will reportedly initially be a U.S.-only product.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61

Strange bedfellows...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleinsider View Post

news corp ceo rupert murdoch and apple chief executive steve jobs have worked together closely on the project...

• Reply 2 of 61
    How does a Beatles-loving, LSD dropping, hippie-wannabe get all mixed up with Rupert Palpatine? While I love the idea of an inexpensive daily "newspaper" that is created specifically for the iPad, taking full advantage of everything the iPad can do, I have NO desire to use my iPad as a right-wing propaganda delivery mechanism.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Apple may have technically helped Murdock, but I doubt they collaborated with the company that owns Fox News and the New York Post, both Right Wing Rags that support that Alaskan Moose, Sarah Palin (especially with Al Gore on Apple's Board of Directors).

Newspapers and the people who work on them deserve to be paid, but if all news and opinion is locked to paid subscriptions and access only via iPad, the Unemployed and the poor have no access to information, current events, or how government and big corporations are screwing around with our lives. You control Freedom of the Press and you take away our rights to be free.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Strange bedfellows...

Indeed.

I'd never subscribe to a Newscorp product, but I would definitely consider something more reputable like say, the NYT, NPR/PBS, CSM, BBC etc.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Apple teaming up with murdoch! what a tragedy. We will now have billo the clown hannity and coulter, fox news all ramned down our thoats vis apple. Is there no escape. lets hope apples competitors get their products up and running asap. Apple, you have just lost a customer.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    [QUOTE=Blastdoor;1756308]How does a Beatles-loving, LSD dropping, hippie-wannabe get all mixed up with Rupert Palpatine? While I love the idea of an inexpensive daily "newspaper" that is created specifically for the iPad, taking full advantage of everything the iPad can do, I have NO desire to use my iPad as a right-wing propaganda delivery mechanism.[/QUOTE

Bias much? And I think you're confused... wasn't Cheney supposed to be Palpatine? Don't you hate it when you get your own propaganda all twisted up in a bunch?

To be more effective in your name calling, Jabba, you might consider reading a little more of something new, and a little less of what you've been looking at. I don't know if you've heard, but Team Donk isn't exactly knocking them outta the park, so your rhetoric is ringing a bit hollow.

Rather than imagined conspiracies and shadows, perhaps the super obvious pairing of biggest computer company with the biggest news company is all that's going on here? Duh. It's not like any Bothans were killed to bring you this information.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    [QUOTE=oxygenhose;1756336]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

How does a Beatles-loving, LSD dropping, hippie-wannabe get all mixed up with Rupert Palpatine? While I love the idea of an inexpensive daily "newspaper" that is created specifically for the iPad, taking full advantage of everything the iPad can do, I have NO desire to use my iPad as a right-wing propaganda delivery mechanism.[/QUOTE

Bias much? And I think you're confused... wasn't Cheney supposed to be Palpatine? Don't you hate it when you get your own propaganda all twisted up in a bunch?

To be more effective in your name calling, Jabba, you might consider reading a little more of something new, and a little less of what you've been looking at. I don't know if you've heard, but Team Donk isn't exactly knocking them outta the park, so your rhetoric is ringing a bit hollow.

Rather than imagined conspiracies and shadows, perhaps the super obvious pairing of biggest computer company with the biggest news company is all that's going on here? Duh. It's not like any Bothans were killed to bring you this information.

Yes, its all Falr and balanced - no bias! just lap up whatever fox news feeds you. Man you are an ignorant sponge!
  • Reply 8 of 61
    I have this direct from Rupert. The new paper will be fair and balanced.

And just to make sure that new managing editor Beck keeps it that way, Rupert said that the editorial board will be comprised of Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly and Palin.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is also rumored to be creating a new standalone application that will serve as a digital newsstand for magazines and newspapers. Like iBooks makes books available through a separate application, Apple's newsstand will reportedly be created specifically for newspapers and magazines.

Will it be for magazines and newspapers? If it will, then what will it be called? If they call it 'Reader', for example, people will confuse it with a book reader. iNews name would suggest no magazines.

A name like Newsstand might work. Not iNewsstand, gawd.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Jobs is in love with the NYT. I find it hard to believe he'd create his own "paper," especially a NYT competitor. Besides, why does Apple need to even dabble in this? Let the publishing companies develop these apps and invest their own money. I don't even care for a "newsstand." Who needs it? Just download the WSJ or NYT or WashPo or whatever app. My local paper advertised their app all over their print edition, so I went out and downloaded it. Just feels strange to me that Jobs himself would be collaborating with the likes of Murdoch to create a completely unnecessary product. Murdoch himself has figured out how to do the whole electronic paper thing - just look at the Wall Street Journal!
  • Reply 11 of 61
    Though I won't subscribe to Murdoch's rag, I think Apple is just playing ball with whoever has the interest and motivation. If it is successful, more legitimate journals will come on board too. I hope.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

One of the best assets of the Samsung GALAXY Tab is its amazing 7" display.

For users to take full advantage, Samsung is proud to announce a number of value-added apps that will be offered with the Samsung Galaxy Tab to show off the screen in all its glory:

\t?\tPremium turn-by-turn navigation by NAVIGON1

\t?\tTwo month trial of The Australian news application2

\t?\tElectronic Arts' Need For Speed? SHIFT game3

\t?\tSamsung Readers Hub4

Research shows that of Australians intending to purchase a tablet device, 64% of them intend to use it for navigation and e-reading applications, 73% for consuming news and 74% for gaming5.

Quote:

The Australian news application

Stay constantly abreast of breaking news with an exclusive free two month introductory trial2 of The Australian news application. The app features The Australian's local and global news and analysis, vibrant photography, page-by-page and sectional navigation and fully integrated advertising.

Source
  • Reply 13 of 61
    I think right now Apple just wants to work with someone big to redirect the newspaper industry successfully. Politics is not part of it. AND News Corp did deal with Apple on the 99c TV rentals.

Long term should involve multiple publications / companies.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Strange bedfellows...

What's so strange. Both are liberal democrats who supported obama.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

A first hint of sanity in what promises to be an insane thread. All you knee-jerk alarmists, calm down. Yes, Fox News is our number one pollution problem right now, but if you had a chance to work with and possibly influence Rupert Murdoch, would you not jump at the chance?

And few people in the world aside from Steve Jobs have the intellect and force of accomplishment to be up to the task.

Blastdoor: 'wannabe hippie' indeed. Since when is he wannabe anything? If he wanted to drop out like the rest of us did, I'm sure he would have managed to. He's clearly on a mission to get something good done in the world. This may be part of the plan.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

What's so strange. Both are liberal democrats who supported obama.

Oh, really?
  • Reply 17 of 61
    you are in bad company steve....
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rutts View Post

Apple teaming up with murdoch! what a tragedy. We will now have billo the clown hannity and coulter, fox news all ramned down our thoats vis apple. Is there no escape. lets hope apples competitors get their products up and running asap. Apple, you have just lost a customer.

I concur, rutts... the walled garden is bad enough, but if they're now going to switch to a diet of fascist right-wing tinfoil-hat-wearing traitorous, obstructionist propaganda supplied by the gossip-rag-dealing foreign agent that turned one of the most-respected newspapers in the country into the Wall Street Urinal, I will never buy another Apple product. Ever.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Building a site that only works with Apple iPads is about as stupid an idea as building a highway on which only Lexus LS sedans can travel. It's going to be a tiny audience, at best. In the end it will contain only news slanted to what the site owners think that iPad owners want to read and will contain less and less information about the real world. Talk about living in a bubble ...
  • Reply 20 of 61
    When there is money to be made, even the most diametrically opposed in the ideological realm will get together and form an alliance. We all know that opposites attract (although this one does seem like the most strange of bedfellows) and the potential for good to come out for both sides is big.

Does anyone think that Apple will dismiss or ignore the right-wing market base because people in that base think different from Jobs or most folks at Apple? Their money is as green as that of the most liberal technocrats in Silicon Valley or the high-browed academicians in Boston.

Apple's insistence on a squeaky clean image for its App Store and corporate governance in general is a good example of Apple courting the business of the conservative base with a zeal. This is a business. Corporations go to where the money is.

Jobs and Murdoch may view each other as "loons" privately, but they can't deny the success of each other either and probably do share great deal of mutual respect and admiration in their respective fields. Unlike our government with its endless partisan bickering, effective businesses hurdle together and get things done.