NPD: 11% of consumers likely to purchase Apple iPad by February

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
In a survey of consumers conducted by the NPD Group, 11 percent said they are likely to purchase an iPad from Apple by February of 2011.

The data from a NPD "fact sheet" issued for the holiday consumer electronics buying season suggests the sales momentum for Apple's iPad has shown no signs of slowing down. Last quarter, Apple sold 4.19 million iPads, its best three-month span yet in the product's short lifespan thus far.

NPD also reiterated its findings that iPad usage increases with length of ownership. Consumers who owned an iPad for two months or less use it a fair amount: about 15 hours per week.

But time of use increases for those who have owned their iPad for a longer period of time. For those who have had Apple's touchscreen tablet for three months or more, the average length of use is about 18 hours per week.

NPD also found that 58 percent of iPad owners opted for the Wi-Fi-only model. The remaining 42 percent paid the extra $130 to have a 3G radio for wireless connectivity on the go.

For those who take their iPad outside their home, 37 percent said they use it on trips or vacations. Another 21 percent said their iPad has found uses at work, and 7 percent use the iPad on their commute to work.

NPD also revealed that 86 percent of Mac users own two or more computers. Comparatively, 65 percent of Windows PC owners have two or more computers. For Mac owners, it's likely that at least one of their extra computers is a Windows-based machine, as 97 percent of all households that have a PC own a Windows PC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    What's the size of the population that NPD's sample is meant to represent? All US consumers? And what does that mean -- people over the age of 18?

How does 11% compare to other products? How predictive have these surveys been in the past?
  • Reply 2 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But time of use increases for those who have owned their iPad for a longer period of time. For those who have had Apple's touchscreen tablet for three months or more, the average length of use is about 18 hours per week.

This is what happened with me. At first I was wondering why I bought it. Now I use it all the time, mostly for browsing the web and email when at home.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    Quote:

In a survey of consumers conducted by the NPD Group, 11 percent said they are likely to purchase an iPad from Apple by February of 2011.

22% after the Oprah show...
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

How does 11% compare to other products? How predictive have these surveys been in the past?

I know, 11% seems a little high.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:

likely to purchase an iPad from Apple by February of 2011.

How many of these people are holding out for iPad 2 and are thinking it will be out (or at least revealed) by February. I, for one, have been waiting for iPad 2 since iPhone 4 came out, and have been waiting for those features (camera, bigger processor) to make it to the iPad
  • Reply 6 of 53
    A rational question, Blastdoor. Who are "consumers"?

To make the assumption than 1 in 10 americans will buy an ipad is rediculous.

I work in a technology department- so, people who are open to adopting technology. There's about 80 people here. Only 1 owns an iPad and I doubt it'll expand much more than that. Perhaps 3 at most. That's far from 11%.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

What's the size of the population that NPD's sample is meant to represent? All US consumers? And what does that mean -- people over the age of 18?

You'd probably have to be one of NPD's clients to get that information.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSux View Post

I work in a technology department- so, people who are open to adopting technology. There's about 80 people here. Only 1 owns an iPad and I doubt it'll expand much more than that. Perhaps 3 at most. That's far from 11%.

There are 2 people in our household. We own 1 iPad. That's far greater than 11%.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    That story should push the stock up a little more
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:

OTOH, I work for a company (web security) that has 600,000 online clients (out of 1.2Million), relatively high value (we're a financial management firm) who log in approx monthly, and have 20,000 franchisee (entrepeneurial) financial managers. At the moment only 5% of accesses are from non Windows systems, and 2% from iOS. that's up from 0.1% at the beginning of the year (20X growth in 10.5 months, or more than doubling every quarter). If that 2% went to 6-10% in 6 months, that would have dramatic impacts in our customer service, and in site planning (less flash and activeX, more html5 and javascript). That's significant. that 20,000 'salesmen' are 'early adopters' of technology, and I'm certain, I'll be seeing demands for iPad apps for their workflows (key: paperless account opening.... 'sign my iPad, and give me a check for 10,000, and you'll be starting the retirement of yoru dreams'... KaCHING! [and not lugging about a laptop, or hoping to close the deal at the office tomorrow])

not 1 in 10 americans, 1 in 10 consumers (When I see consumers, I think households)

I would think 1 in 10 households having at least 1 iPad is more than reasonable.

That would equate to 10 Million households, which given the fact they're selling a run rate of 3 million a month worldwide, with capacities growing to 4M, that's a reasonable number.

Basically, what this is saying to me (a web security guy)

- Safari/iOS/HTML5 will be the new threat vector of interest, unless it's more secure than Win7/IE8.

As a User Experience person: Developing an Ipad app will be viewed as a net plus to your consumer base, if you develop an intuitive multi-touch nav map. Especially for 'instant gratification' sorts of things (check balances, pay bills, xfer money, buy stuff).
  • Reply 11 of 53
    I feel sorry for people I see come into the cafe with a huge bag containg their laptop and stuff desperately looking for a power outlet. They need a table cause it gets too hot, so a nice comfy chair is out.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:

said they are likely to purchase an iPad .

People often are optimistic when stating that they plan to buy something that they want. The 11% probably more accurately reflects the amount of people that want to buy an iPad. Or as TheOtherGeoff stated 11% of households but I still think that is high.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    We're close enough to the iPad 2 now that I would advise those customers to wait. I would not buy an iPad in February if I expected a new model in March. Who knows though, maybe it will be out earlier than that.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    That's 11% of people who will be pissed when iPad 2 is released in March.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

We're close enough to the iPad 2 now that I would advise those customers to wait. I would not buy an iPad in February if I expected a new model in March. Who knows though, maybe it will be out earlier than that.

It's not unreasonable to think that some people will go ahead and buy an iPad now and then also buy the iPad2 in March. Once a household has one iPad I think it's only a matter of time before they have two.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Aside from a camera, what do you expect the differences to be? Maybe a little speed, more RAM? Unless you are planning to use it for FaceTime, what would compel even a current iPad user to upgrade. It is not like you should be worried about resale value. I wonder how much enjoyment I will get from my current iPad between now and whenever the new one comes out.

I can tell you one thing that would be really cool about FaceTime, would be AirPlay the other person to a TV so everyone in the room could see.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Check back with us in February. I'll bet you $100 that more than 4 own iPads by then. Actually forget February, check back with us when everyone is back in the office after Christmas day.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:

Let's see you report back in February with actual numbers.

BTW, did you scientifically poll your "peeps" to get your estimate? or did you pull it out of your ass??......

.....thought so.....

I see Malax beat me to the punch. I bet he won't take you up on your "bet" LOL ;-)
  • Reply 19 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You don?t think Apple can have an installed base that exceeds 30M? I think you are wrong.

Plus, your analysis is very limited. As seen on numerous occasions this past year the iPad is appealing to the vast majority of people who aren?t technical. Who don?t work in ?technology departments? and who don?t measure their self worth by how complex of a system they can master. So, your data points are pretty much irrelevant to the real world.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I feel sorry for people I see come into the cafe with a huge bag containg their laptop and stuff desperately looking for a power outlet. They need a table cause it gets too hot, so a nice comfy chair is out.

Unless their PC is a MacBook Air....