Apple shows interest in individually lit, multi-color keyboard backlights

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has shown interest in providing more advanced keyboard backlights on its notebook computers, allowing greater user interaction with individually lit keys and multiple colors.

A slew of patent applications revealed by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office this week reveal Apple's interest in advancing its keyboard backlights. They note that current keyboards offer some feedback via light, such as when the "Caps Lock" key is enabled, but a more informative keyboard could be beneficial to users.

"Most conventional keyboards lack the ability to convey complex information to a user (such as, for example, more information than just whether the CAPS lock key is on)," the application reads. "And while some conventional keyboards may include backlit keys, conventional keyboards with backlighting do not offer the ability to dynamically control lighting schemes for each of the keys individually based on interaction from the user."

Lighting individual keys could help users identify available functions when holding a modifier key like "Command" or "Option." They could also be lighted to help users complete tasks in a specific application.

Apple's solution, described in a handful of new patent applications, would have more dynamic keyboard backlights, with individually illuminated keys and multiple colors. One application, titled "Keyboard with Increased Control of Backlit Keys," describes a MacBook that would have different illumination schemes based on which application is running.

The goal would be accomplished with individual LED lights located within each key on the keyboard. The notebook would then control those lights, allowing specific keys related to a task at hand to be illuminated or colored appropriately.

Another application, "White Point Adjustment for Multicolor Keyboard Backlight," describes a keyboard backlighting system that would rely on a light sensor included with the MacBook. The color of the keys on the notebook would be adjusted accordingly, making them easier to see in various lighting conditions.

"A controller is electrically coupled to the light source and the light sensor and configured to determine the intensity and color of light to which the light sensor is exposed," the application reads, "and dynamically adjust the output of the light source to match the determined intensity and color of light to which the light sensor is exposed."

Yet another application deals with the user interface functions that would become possible only with individually lit keys with multiple colors. Entitled "User Interface Behaviors for Input Device with Individually Controlled Illuminated Input Elements," it describes adjusting the keyboard lighting based on what program is being used on the notebook, or to notify the user of something.

"The request for input device lighting from the program may be based on input selections received from the input device such as illuminating keys on a keyboard that are the next possible letters in a word being typed or keys associated with a pressed command key," that application reads.

The applications, published this week, were all filed with the USPTO in June of 2009.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I can see the potential. I have to admit ever since I got my MBP i7 this year I keep thinking something is wrong with my other Mac keyboards ... then I realize it is the lack of the keyboard lighting. So much more could be done to help in usage for sure, I love the idea of contextual help this way.

User settings would be essential if color were used, color blind folks would need to adjust accordingly although presets for the different color blindness types would be a good thing to have as built ins.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has show interest in providing more advanced keyboard backlights on its notebook computers

I didn't see one quote referring to a notebook, nor were the pictures of a notebook at all.

They just released "the future of macbooks" in the air and it doesn't even have a back lit keyboard, let alone dynamic lighting.

I think if they were to use this technology it would be for their high end software (ie. Final cut) for making navigation commands easier.

They would most likely release a standalone blue tooth dynamically lit keyboard with a revolutionary sounding name.

Then maybe if it was well received it might make it to the macbook pro.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

I didn't see one quote referring to a notebook, nor were the pictures of a notebook at all.

They just released "the future of macbooks" in the air and it doesn't even have a back lit keyboard, let alone dynamic lighting.

I think if they were to use this technology it would be for their high end software (ie. Final cut) for making navigation commands easier.

They would most likely release a standalone blue tooth dynamically lit keyboard with a revolutionary sounding name.

Then maybe if it was well received it might make it to the macbook pro.

I was shocked they dropped it on the Air I must admit.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    I call Prior Art on that patent:

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Major Prior Art...and then some.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Backlit full-size wireless keyboard for desktops please.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Yeah... gawd this gets boring, totally thought this up with a friend over ten years ago. This industry is so dull on innovation. So why do I like Apple, because at least they are only a decade behind. The rest are so backward such a bleedingly obvious thing would never have even been thought of.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelab View Post

doesn't sound like what Apple has in mind.. besides. a mini OLED on each key is not cheap.

optimus maximus sells for $1500-2000 (if you can even find one).. but here's a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWkjtnd367Q

(got to admit it's pretty slick)
  • Reply 8 of 52
    As nifty an idea as the old secondary number pad was on the iBooks, you (OK - I) could never quite visually isolate the keys needed. If they could change the color of clear-in-white numbers on those keys, you might have something workable.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Yeah, milkmage is right, not even close to the same thing.

As far as the "future of laptops" comment, I'm pretty sure he was speaking about SSD, no optical drive, plus smaller and more compact. The lack of backlighting was odd, but I'd guess needed to maintain the battery life they wanted. MBP has more space inside to pack battery after all. If they already had this variable light system mastered in time for the MBA refresh, they would have included it and we probably wouldn't have seen much of a (if any) dip in battery claims
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:

That's a totally different product/invention.

LCD screens on keys is not the same as backlighting on keys, not even close.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

That's a totally different product/invention.

LCD screens on keys is not the same as backlighting on keys, not even close.

Actually, I proposed something exactly like...

Quote:

The goal would be accomplished with individual LED lights located within each key on the keyboard. The notebook would then control those lights, allowing specific keys related to a task at hand to be illuminated or colored appropriately.

...when the Optimus was announced. The miniature displays on the Optimus would obviously cost a ton of money, so individual backlights for separate functions were the obvious solution, as cy_starkman wrote. Not as versatile, but a whole lot more affordable, and even customizable if the user can print up custom overlays to fit under the keycaps. I can't imagine how USPTO can approve this unless their examiners no longer understand the "unobviousness" requirement in patent law.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Actually, I proposed something exactly like...

...when the Optimus was announced. The miniature displays on the Optimus would obviously cost a ton of money, so individual backlights for separate functions were the obvious solution, as cy_starkman wrote. Not as versatile, but a whole lot more affordable, and even customizable if the user can print up custom overlays to fit under the keycaps. I can't imagine how USPTO can approve this unless their examiners no longer understand the "unobviousness" requirement in patent law.

Apple also has a patent application that got brought into the light back in 2008 for a dynamically changeable OLED keyboard. That would seemingly have prior art issues, given the Optimus first came about back in 2005. Looks like you should have tried to get a patent on your idea. Looks like Apple will get it now.

I don't know about the unobviousness issue tho. You would have to take backlit keyboards, combine the idea with the dynamic OLED keyboards and then maybe the light up trainer electronic keyboards to teach you to play piano to approximate the new Apple plan. The keys won't change like in the Optimus tho, they will just be lit at different levels of brightness depending on light source as well as highlight function keys. ALl told, it's pretty different.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    i'm just glad Apple is still intereseted in physical keyboards...

it seems like they might be trying to get users used to using a keyboard on a screen vs an actual keyboard.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Yeah... gawd this gets boring, totally thought this up with a friend over ten years ago. This industry is so dull on innovation. So why do I like Apple, because at least they are only a decade behind. The rest are so backward such a bleedingly obvious thing would never have even been thought of.

I assume you're writing from the mega-mansion you bought with the proceeds from the brilliant ideas you've implemented?

Monday Morning... meet Quarterback.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    While the Optimus keyboard is cool, the cost is prohibitive.

I wonder if Apple could do the same concept but use e-ink instead of OLED.

I think the target demographic should be Pro Apps like Photoshop, FinalCut, etc

I think it would make the most sense on Apple's full size Pro keyboard.

In order for it to be successful they should price it at no more than $199.

Many of the keyboard overlays run $50. This gives you an infinite # of overlays and functions in various apps.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Quote:

Lighting individual keys could help users identify available functions when holding a modifier key like "Command" or "Option." They could also be lighted to help users complete tasks in a specific application.

This feature would actually be pretty useful to novice users, actually.

Or, if I am playing StarCraft II and click a unit/building, the keyboard can light up the available hotkeys.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    tedktedk Posts: 16member
    "Yeah... gawd this gets boring, totally thought this up with a friend over ten years ago. This industry is so dull on innovation."

Gee, when I was in college in the early 80s I thought up the idea that there should be a computer service that gave you access to every song ever written - the ultimate music library / store. It took 20+ years to see that realized, but I never felt "bored" along the way . . .
  • Reply 18 of 52
    almaalma Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Great idea! I hope that Apple's specific implementation is protected, but that other companies will be free to use different colored LEDs in their keyboards too.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    I call dibs on the patent for using this for Dance Dance Keyboard Revolution. Think about it. Would be awesome. I can already imagine the ads... Cubicle slaves peek out over the partition, secretly fire up some DDKR with some of the latest Black Eyed Peas. Live to work another day. 30 million $ gaming market right there once all Macs are equipped with this individual key lighting thingymajigs.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

This feature would actually be pretty useful to novice users, actually.

Or, if I am playing StarCraft II and click a unit/building, the keyboard can light up the available hotkeys.

Dude can you tell me is there any conceivable use of the Terran Predator unit? And yeah I'm useless at using hotkeys in SC2. In fact, if I ever play multiplayer I'm imagining using Diamondbacks all the time because they can fire while moving. It's tough having to always move-attack or do the constant micro-move clicking (you know where you move a little every few seconds so your units stop long enough to fire)...