Verizon LTE and Mac compatible

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
are the new modems for lte (verizon) going to be compatible for the Mac's? I sure hope so. It doesn't seem like Apple and Verizon see eye to eye on many things.:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    It has been announced that they are not. It has absolutely nothing to do with Apple and Verizon "seeing eye to eye". All Verizon 3G modems and other hardware work with OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It has been announced that they are not. It has absolutely nothing to do with Apple and Verizon "seeing eye to eye". All Verizon 3G modems and other hardware work with OS X.

I hope the problem is solved shortly
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jomarno View Post

I hope the problem is solved shortly

It's... not a problem. Verizon hasn't written drivers. They might not, so someone else will have to.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

It's... not a problem. Verizon hasn't written drivers. They might not, so someone else will have to.

Verizon knew about LTE for years, how could this have been over looked?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Verizon knew about LTE for years, how could this have been over looked?

What does this sentence mean? It wasn't overlooked. OS X is 10% of the market. Windows is the rest. There's nothing to "know" about. Either they write the drivers or they don't. It's not like it's impossible to write them, nor is it an issue of time or preparedness. Verizon doesn't care because OS X isn't a huge part of the market.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

What does this sentence mean? It wasn't overlooked. OS X is 10% of the market. Windows is the rest. There's nothing to "know" about. Either they write the drivers or they don't. It's not like it's impossible to write them, nor is it an issue of time or preparedness. Verizon doesn't care because OS X isn't a huge part of the market.

Verizon doesn't care. IF you are a Mac user like me you care. Verizon wants the Iphone they should care.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Verizon doesn't care.

About... what, drivers? Apparently, yes.

Quote:

IF you are a Mac user like me you care.

Why? I certainly don't. I don't feel like paying $50 a month for 5 gigabytes that I'd use in less than five days.

Quote:

Verizon wants the Iphone they should care.

No, LTE USB modems are exactly the opposite of "caring" about the iPhone. The iPhone'll be standalone LTE. What good is there in having an iPhone when you can get the data speeds for just your computer? Exactly.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

This is from Verizon

Q: Will the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE USB Modems work with Mac Computers?

A: On 12/5/10, Macantonich Computers will not be supported. Mac support will come shortly after launch.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

This is from Verizon

Q: Will the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE USB Modems work with Mac Computers?

A: On 12/5/10, Macantonich Computers will not be supported. Mac support will come shortly after launch.

I'm sorry, I'm probably reading all of this wrong. What's your point with this? You're making my point for me.

Verizon hasn't written drivers yet. It's not a question of having had the time to do it, they simply didn't have the inclination for launch. It has nothing to do with iPhone availability or anything else.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

I'm sorry, I'm probably reading all of this wrong. What's your point with this? You're making my point for me.

Verizon hasn't written drivers yet. It's not a question of having had the time to do it, they simply didn't have the inclination for launch. It has nothing to do with iPhone availability or anything else.

MY point is simply that I want to use the new LTE (4G) with my Mac computer. I travel a lot on Business and would love to plug in a new Modem and use it fot LTE on the computer. Much quicker downloads for my business and I like to save time. Cost is not an issut, the company pays the bills. Just want the same experience as a PC user, that's all. No big deal.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

MY point is simply that I want to use the new LTE (4G) with my Mac computer. I travel a lot on Business and would love to plug in a new Modem and use it fot LTE on the computer. Much quicker downloads for my business and I like to save time. Cost is not an issut, the company pays the bills. Just want the same experience as a PC user, that's all. No big deal.

"Hand-offs can take up to a couple minutes, but that was expected and a fix is in the works," Verizon spokesman Jeffrey Nelson told Computerworld by e-mail.

He also said Verizon is working on drivers for USB modems designed for the LTE network so that they work with Mac OS-based computers. "Mac is not yet supported, and we've been working on drivers for Mac OS for weeks, and expect to update relatively soon," Nelson said.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    See this:

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3479/63/

http://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Discu...on/td-p/347794

I got the engineering back-end info from VZW advanced support and I put it into lay-man's terms so non-engineers can understand it. Currently only the UML290 works on Win(officially) and unofficially in Mac (Using Apple's dialer) and Linux (OSS standard implementation).

The beauty of LTE is STANDARD protocols so Apple's GSM 3G/4G/LTE dialer inside OSX works just awesome with the UML290!