Mac App Store may be coming January 2011

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A new report claims Apple's Mac App Store will launch in the new year, countering earlier rumors that the new store would arrive as early as Dec. 13.

According to Jim Dalrymple of The Loop, a December launch date for the Mac App Store for Snow Leopard is too early, though his sources have told him that Apple intends to meet its self-imposed 90-day deadline of late January. The news also corroborates what was told to AppleInsider in November.

The latest report contradicts rumors that emerged earlier this week that claimed Apple is "way ahead of schedule" and plans to launch the Mac App Store in time for Christmas.

Apple announced the Mac App Store at its "Back to the Mac" event in October. The new store is similar to the App Store for iOS, with developers receiving a 70 percent cut of sales and Apple keeping 30 percent. Apple CEO Steve Jobs was quick to reassure worried users that the Mac App Store will be only an option for developers and users, rather than a "walled garden" like iOS.

Following the announcement, Apple released review guidelines and an initial outline for developers on how to get their apps listed in the new store.

Last week, Apple issued notices to developers informing them that, unlike on iOS, trial versions of software will not be allowed on the Mac App Store.

"Your website is the best place to provide demos, trial versions, or betas of your software for customers to explore," Apple wrote. "The apps you submit to be reviewed for the Mac App Store should be fully functional, retail versions of your apps."

The initial betas of Mac OS X 10.6.6 appear to include support for the Mac App Store. Developers with the early build were reportedly told that the Snow Leopard update "contains developer support for fetching and renewing App Store receipts."

Dalrymple has a reliable track record with his sources. In October, Dalrymple claimed that Apple had developed a 7-inch iPad in its internal labs, but decided not to release it.

"The iPad is one of the best selling devices in history," Dalrymple said. "Why would Apple need to release a smaller version to compete in a market it owns. It doesn't."

Several weeks later, comments from Jobs about 7-inch tablets and extensive touchscreen interface research performed by Apple appeared to support Dalrymple's claim that Apple had worked on a 7-inch iPad but decided not to release it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I guess I can see December for a new service to arrive, but I think January makes a lot more sense.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    From where I sit, it seems the Mac App Store will encourage low-cost "impulse" software purchases if it is not possible to download demos for "high-end" applications. The customer is more likely to be exposed to the software in the Mac App Store, but if she wants to get the demo, she may as well make her purchase from the same non-Apple source (via the application).
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

but I think January makes a lot more sense.

I suppose so.... \
  • Reply 4 of 12
    January event to introduce VZ iPhone. They have to have another thing to talk about or introduce.. So the Mac App Store.. Probably Murdoch's iPad only newspaper too..
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Source has a good track record leading us to believe they know something. Even January would be no big difference as Holidays and New Years are quickly approaching.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

January event to introduce VZ iPhone.

GIVE IT A REST.

Quote:

. They have to have another thing to talk about or introduce.. So the Mac App Store.. Probably Murdoch's iPad only newspaper too..

There's absolutely no reason to have an event for the launch of the Mac App Store. It has already had its event and will be launched without fanfare.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report claims Apple's Mac App Store will launch in the new year, countering earlier rumors that the new store would arrive as early as Dec. 13.

According to Jim Dalrymple of The Loop, a December launch date for the Mac App Store for Snow Leopard is too early, though his sources have told him that Apple intends to meet its self-imposed 90-day deadline of late January.

The report report contradicts rumors that emerged earlier this week that claimed Apple is "way ahead of schedule" and plans to launch the Mac App Store in time for Christmas.

More likely they want to get it fully working before the holiday vacations so it can be released on the January announcement.

Quote:

Apple CEO Steve Jobs was quick to reassure worried users that the Mac App Store will be only an option for developers and users, rather than a "walled garden" like iOS.

But like content providers on the iPad, they will too offer a "MacAppStore only" version so eventually a walled garden will occur all on it's own.

Quote:

Last week, Apple issued notices to developers informing them that, unlike on iOS, trial versions of software will not be allowed on the Mac App Store.

I'm guessing what Apple likely will do for their 30% cut is offer some sort of personal digital signature to each program bought through the MacAppStore to prevent piracy like it does with iTMS content. With trial software it has to expire at some point and that will draw attention to the covert DRM schemes Apple is employing.

Quote:

"The iPad is one of the best selling devices in history," Dalrymple said. "Why would Apple need to release a smaller version to compete in a market it owns. It doesn't."

The 7" Galaxy has sold over 1,000,000 units in two months, not as much as the iPad with all the media attention, but a substantial amount to guaranty Apple will have to produce a similar iPad to compete.

What I suspect we will see in January is a iPad 2 with dual core A4 and a 7" iPad with a single core A4.

People want a netbook like device in their coat pocket, in their glove compartment and their purses.

And they do want both Wifi only and 3G "pay as you go" versions.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

What I suspect we will see in January is a iPad 2 with dual core A4 and a 7" iPad with a single core A4.

HA.

Quote:

People want a netbook like device in their coat pocket, in their glove compartment and their purses.

Oh, you know this, do you?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

The 7" Galaxy has sold over 1,000,000 units in two months, not as much as the iPad with all the media attention, but a substantial amount to guaranty Apple will have to produce a similar iPad to compete.

Along with that sandpaper to sand your fingers down, as Steve said?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

January event to introduce VZ iPhone. They have to have another thing to talk about or introduce.. ..

No they don't. And IF they announce th iPhone on Verizon they really don't need anything else. Plus these days they don't mix OSes. Should they have something to announce it will be something for iOS.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

From where I sit, it seems the Mac App Store will encourage low-cost "impulse" software purchases if it is not possible to download demos for "high-end" applications. The customer is more likely to be exposed to the software in the Mac App Store, but if she wants to get the demo, she may as well make her purchase from the same non-Apple source (via the application).

Will that website then allow me to purchase an app using an iTunes gift card ... thereby not having to give any cc or other personal info over the web? .... I think not.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Will that website then allow me to purchase an app using an iTunes gift card ... thereby not having to give any cc or other personal info over the web? .... I think not.

You're right about gift cards, but on other non-gift purchases wouldn't it simply make sense for the software seller to (more or less) expose customers to their software via the Mac App Store, then encourage actual sales on their own web site? They could even institute Amazon's 1-Click on their site and come away with a much better deal for themselves (not giving up that 30%)!