iPhone-How to upgrade, wipe old phone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I am planning on buying an iPhone 4 any day now for both me and my fiancee and currently both of us having iPhone 3G's. My plan is once I get the iPhone 4's to sell the two iPhone 3G's on ebay.

I have two questions:

I have never gone through an upgrade before. I am looking at options such as Radio Shack, AT&T (Refurbished) and Apple. When I buy one do I activate it on the spot in the store or do I get it and then have 30 days to active it? I know when I connect my iPhone to iTunes it backs up.

When I get a new phone do I connect to iTunes to activate and then restore the backup?

The second question is how to securely and completely wipe the old phone. I want to make sure since I'm selling it on ebay that no one can get data off of it and obviously I want to do this after I active and have my new phone working. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks for your help with the above questions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I am planning on buying an iPhone 4 any day now for both me and my fiancee and currently both of us having iPhone 3G's. My plan is once I get the iPhone 4's to sell the two iPhone 3G's on ebay.

I have two questions:

I have never gone through an upgrade before. I am looking at options such as Radio Shack, AT&T (Refurbished) and Apple. When I buy one do I activate it on the spot in the store or do I get it and then have 30 days to active it? I know when I connect my iPhone to iTunes it backs up.

When I get a new phone do I connect to iTunes to activate and then restore the backup?

The second question is how to securely and completely wipe the old phone. I want to make sure since I'm selling it on ebay that no one can get data off of it and obviously I want to do this after I active and have my new phone working. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks for your help with the above questions.

Your 4's will go active on the network immediatly and your 3Gs will no longer function on the cellular network from a subscriber standpoint.

When you get home back up your 3G and then connect your 4 and restore from backup.

To wipe the 3G put it in DFu mode and iTunes will restore it to factory with a fresh iOS install.

If I were you I would keep the old 3G's you may find use for them later.

If you were to sell them....how much do you want for both?