Tech Questions about iPhone, Not sure if I should post in Genius Bar.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have an iPhone 3GS is there a way to hook it up to a PC and have it show up as a hard drive or external device? I didnt back it up and while it was in the middle of an update got interrupted and I had to unplug and re-install the iPhone from scratch and lost my pics and info.

I know that I should of done a backup (duh) but I have ReCuva and would love to get my stuff back! Anyone have ideas on how I can do this?

Also since it wasn't backed up "recently" I had games on there that are not available to me anymore, I had geodefense and geo swarm are two that I remember but now in the app store it wants me to buy them again. How do I get these back? I had many more but they were on my itunes.

When you get a new iPhone how do you transfer your settings over? Anticipating new iPhone for Verizon.

This is just for a rant and extra words about a Verizon iPhone. I don't follow apple products all that close. I just got an iPhone about a year ago (3GS) and found it to be acceptable and the apps are of a nice quality. I have only had problems with ATT while traveling or in buildings and such which is annoying but overall the service had been decent. My family is on Verizon and I would like to continue to talk with them using free minutes and thus would like a Verizon iPhone what is it with tech blogs and the damn rumor mill? Can someone just give me a freaking date so I can plan a purchase?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tucsonstu View Post

I have an iPhone 3GS is there a way to hook it up to a PC and have it show up as a hard drive or external device?

I know that I should of done a backup (duh) but I have ReCuva and would love to get my stuff back! Anyone have ideas on how I can do this?

You'd have to jailbreak it then install the SSH software and you can use SSHFS to mount it:

http://www.iphonealley.com/tips/wire...o-your-desktop

You can restore the device to a non-jailbroken state after recovery.

Quote:

Also since it wasn't backed up "recently" I had games on there that are not available to me anymore, I had geodefense and geo swarm are two that I remember but now in the app store it wants me to buy them again. How do I get these back? I had many more but they were on my itunes.

iTunes should remember your purchases and when you click buy it should say that you already own it and just download it again. You can always contact Apple support about it as your purchases all have receipts. There's no reason you should have to pay for them all twice. There's no way you could recover them from the device though.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Eh, It sucks that I would have to jailbreak the phone I am really not into that and I have 4.2 installed I am pretty sure. It just seems like a ton of work where something could go wrong. Is there any other way? Its horrible you have to jailbreak this phone to be able to do something on it.

I'll read this article and see what to do. This says its Mac only, I need it for a PC.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

It just seems like a ton of work

Nope.

Quote:

where something could go wrong.

Nope.

Quote:

Its horrible you have to jailbreak this phone to be able to do something on it.

Nope.
  • Reply 4 of 4