A better Ignore feature?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
vBulletin?s ability to ignore posts is quite limited. It still shows an area for the user?s post and the replied to comments within the messages of posters you have not ignored.

Perhaps using Safari 5?s Extensions would be a solution for some savvy web devs. Would it just be finding the block of data for the specific user ID as noted in the HTML code and having the extension pull it before it?s displayed?

The harder part seems to create away to collapse the quoted text or someone you?ve blocked within another person?s post, but I think this would also be possible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

vBulletin?s ability to ignore posts is quite limited. It still shows an area for the user?s post and the replied to comments within the messages of posters you have not ignored.

I've never understood a ban list. Can't you ignore the people without one? What is it that compels you to be drawn into a discussion with or read the comments of people you have decided to ignore? Think of their comments like the adverts on the page. I don't need a Nokia phone, a 50% off holiday in the sun or an Epson Workforce 630 series so I glance at them and move on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps using Safari 5?s Extensions would be a solution for some savvy web devs. Would it just be finding the block of data for the specific user ID as noted in the HTML code and having the extension pull it before it?s displayed?

Posts are just all text so the forum would have to do a regular expression match for every quote from a user on your ban list and wouldn't exclude quotes that didn't have their name tag in them. It also wouldn't work for broken quotes.

Having to do a regular expression test for every post on a thread page for every user for everyone on the ban list would slow down the forum considerably if it was done by the server.

It could be done client-side of course using Javascript. It would mean extracting the banlist in PHP and loading it as a JS array then on page load, doing a regular expression find/replace on the page in Javascript.

But this requires someone to write the Javascript regex code and a custom vBulletin plugin and get the sysadmin to install it. It's really more hassle than its worth especially since it only removes them after the page has loaded fully by which time you may have scrolled down and seen the quote.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I've never understood a ban list. Can't you ignore the people without one? What is it that compels you to be drawn into a discussion with or read the comments of people you have decided to ignore? Think of their comments like the adverts on the page. I don't need a Nokia phone, a 50% off holiday in the sun or an Epson Workforce 630 series so I glance at them and move on.

Because we're only human? If someone makes it their personal mission to goad and provoke, it's not always easy to just pass over their posts without responding.

That said, I can see the technical problems with creating a "black hole" for ignored posters and responses to same. If I had one wish, it would be to remember how to exclude the political forum from the new posts search. Some days more than half of the updated threads are from that forum. At one time, I knew how to do that on vBulletin. Can't recall the trick.