Apple TV challenge from Google falls flat in 2010

Comments

• Reply 41 of 135
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Hey wait a minute, where are the know it alls that laughed at me saying GoogleTV will eat AppleTV for breakfast?
  • Reply 42 of 135
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I cancelled my cable service and now use Netflix, Hulu Plus, and AppleTV exclusively. In doing so, I'm saving about $80 monthly.

I don't know about Google's latest offering, but the new AppleTV is awesome - especially with AirPlay.

AppleTV is on its way and im seriously considering dropping cable.
  • Reply 43 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Google fu**** up. They thought they were going to be able to distribute the content of the tv networks as they saw fit and they were shut down!!!

It ain't Google's content!!!!!

Since some networks actually optimized their websites for GoogleTV, it seems that Google DID try to work with networks. Not this end-runaround BS some people like to try to push.

Quote:

The internet tv is bullsh**! We are on the internet all effing day with our smart phones, laptops, netbooks whatever. So why the hell do I need to surf the net while watching tv? It is dumb!!!

So it's good to access the internet on every other electronic device you own but not the TV? Yeah, okay...

Quote:

But that is what Google is counting on so you and I will just, like tards, skim through the internet on our tv while being bombarded with effing advertisements. That to me is a dystopian lifestyle and I'm not having it.

As opposed to skimming through regular TV and being bombarded by ads? What's the difference? Right, because it's Google...
  • Reply 44 of 135
    we dropped cable 3 months ago and use netflix, appletv and over the air network. the only thing that my little one misses is teh disney channel.

we have a ton of disney shows and all pixar movies but sometimes the channel itself is hard to beat
  • Reply 45 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

AppleTV is on its way and im seriously considering dropping cable.

We dropped our cable, too....I figure if I have to watch inane commercials then I should not have to pay so much for cable or no commercials and I will be happy to pay for the cable. But not both!

Had the original ATV and loved it. Sold it for $100 a few months ago and planning to buy the new one and upgrade the flat screen TV at the same time!

The ability to stream your photos over to your large living room TV with internet radio light jazz or xmas jazz music playing in the background is worth the price of admission just by itself.

Used Netflix streaming and it was great especially if you want to watch some movies you've seen before or if you are into documentaries and foreign films. NetFlix is the future.

PS. Just bought the TomTom app for $39 for my iPhone 4. It has to be the best App I've bought to date...I use it almost every day! Really recommend it! I so glad I did not buy a stand alone GPS. I went into Target and was amazed at how poor the interfaces were. The Retina Display on the iPhone makes the TomTom look great, especially at night.

Best and Merry Christmas everyone!
  • Reply 46 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoismoses View Post

I did the same thing, however I have found some serious flaws with the AppleTV. I am sure if it was made by anyone else other than Apple it would have also fallen flat.

1) Lack of TV shows to rent.

2) Can't stream divx/xvid from PC.

3) Rented movies download slow.

4) No Hulu Plus!

People keep getting confused. The Box is just a Box. Period. More or less features. Period.

ITS THE SERVICE.. Please, look above, lack of content, no Hulu, no etc, no etc. Right now many of the video suppliers are not letting their content out, or are charging a lot for it. Apple gets netflix which has lots of movies but you have to pay for the service.

Content people. No matter how big your SUV is, no gas means no movement.

Just a thought here.

en
  • Reply 47 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...general purpose, TV-centric devices like Microsoft's Windows Media Center and Google TV, which both aim to provide DVR playback of live TV

"DVR playback of live TV" sounds like an oxymoron to me, but no matter - if you meant to say that Google TV aims to provide DVR functionality, I haven't seen that feature anywhere. The only thing I saw approaching that was some sketchy interface to control a few existing models of Dish network DVRs.
  • Reply 48 of 135
    Quote:

Google's track record in delivering new software products has been less than stellar, with 2009's big announcement of Wave being abandoned in a year, the expected release of Chrome OS being delayed an entire year, a focus on Flash playback on Android delivering poor results, Twitter-competitor Google Buzz failing to find lots of interest alongside the company's Knol Wikipedia-killer, and big news concerning the company's rival VP8-based WebM video codec petering out as H.264 continued to gain major traction.

Funny, when Apple fails, its written off as "a hobby." When Google fails, its time for DED to re-kick the dead horse.

Anyway...

GTV sucks, because it doesn't do much of anything that other stuff does. Saying the ATV is a success is easy: its only $99, and doesn't really do much anything else unless you have an apple ecosystem.

But like Jobs said, none of that stuff does what I need it to do. And both suffer from the cable and TV companies strangle hold.
  • Reply 49 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Funny, when Apple fails, its written off as "a hobby." When Google fails, its time for DED to re-kick the dead horse.

Anyway...

GTV sucks, because it doesn't do much of anything that other stuff does. Saying the ATV is a success is easy: its only $99, and doesn't really do much anything else unless you have an apple ecosystem.

But like Jobs said, none of that stuff does what I need it to do. And both suffer from the cable and TV companies strangle hold.

I believe that the only ecosystem that you need to support AppleTV is iTunes.

iTunes for Windows is a free download.

ApplleTV can pull streaming content from iTunes.

The Remote app on iDevices can connect any iTunes to any AppleTV, then the iTunes Will push streaming content to the AppleTV.
  • Reply 50 of 135
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Word is this happens if you're using a name server other than your ISP's (such as Google or OpenDNS) because Akamai can no longer route you to the optimal download paths.

Anything that is wrong with an Apple product is immediately Google's fault. When a client requests a connection from Akamai, the client IP is the reference for the distributed mirror NOT the name server that is forwarding the request. That whole DNS story was a load of BS.

A lot of you guys are claiming to cancel your cable service in favor of aTV. Two questions:

What are you using for Internet access?

Do you not watch any sports or live broadcasts?
  • Reply 51 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

a great internet search engine. Does anyone have a better one? Apple?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoismoses View Post

.... I want to replace cable not augment it.

The cable companies are also the Internet providers. If you use one service to replace the other, the cost will just go up. So why not a set top box and Atv all in one? A device that they could sell to consumers as well as to the cable companies for rent. They just rent out someone else's box now? As long as it is not seen as a threat to their cable business.
  • Reply 52 of 135
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

Nothing wrong with Apple TV that a tuner & DVR wouldn?t fix. Till then, it?s just to me.

Never gonna happen. Sorry.
  • Reply 53 of 135
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

... Apple gets netflix which has lots of movies but you have to pay for the service.

Content people. No matter how big your SUV is, no gas means no movement.

Just a thought here.

en

That's why Netflix is $8/month instead of $80/month. It's not intended to be your only source.

And your SUV will always have gas. There's always something to watch, unless you've watched everything on Netflix already...
  • Reply 54 of 135
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

I wrote off the Nexus One a long time ago.

Which still is one of the best Android phones around, and now has a second version out made by Samsung...
  • Reply 55 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Hey wait a minute, where are the know it alls that laughed at me saying GoogleTV will eat AppleTV for breakfast?

In your head, as they've always been.
  • Reply 56 of 135
    Quote:

I cancelled my cable service and now use Netflix, Hulu Plus, and AppleTV exclusively. In doing so, I'm saving about $80 monthly.

I don't know about Google's latest offering, but the new AppleTV is awesome - especially with AirPlay.

Do you notice any bandwidth issues when you're downloading something on a computer (or maybe playing a game online) and trying to watch tv at the same time?
  • Reply 57 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I believe that the only ecosystem that you need to support AppleTV is iTunes.

iTunes for Windows is a free download.

ApplleTV can pull streaming content from iTunes.

The Remote app on iDevices can connect any iTunes to any AppleTV, then the iTunes Will push streaming content to the AppleTV.

iTunes is something I try to avoid. It isn't that bad, but it tries to install stuff behind my back way too much.

But, there isn't much of anything else, and to solve all the issues, I'm forced to make my own computer and use a wireless mouse and keyboard, since apparently they haven't banned tv access over the web for it yet.
  • Reply 58 of 135
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasht View Post

I received a free Google Logitech Revue as a developer, I'm just starting to use it.

While I agree that it is not perfect and there is room for improvement, I really believe that it has a great potential.

Also, I don't subscribe to cable and I think more and more people do the same. So the argument that cable set boxes are free or cheap isn't really going to work in the longterm.

It might too early, but I think both Google and Apple are right to invest in this industry.

Most people:

1) don't get it for free

2) aren't technical minded developers

3) lack lots of free time (and inclination) devoted to tinkering

So I don't think you represent the mainstream market. Someone in your position is also likely to be curious about the Zune or WP7 or Android. The mainstream market is primarily concerned about affordability, ease of use, and hassle-free functionality. Google TV offers none of those things relative to other products. We'll see about GTV 2.0. Certainly Apple got its TV product to better fit those requirements in its second major version.
  • Reply 59 of 135
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Anything that is wrong with an Apple product is immediately Google's fault. When a client requests a connection from Akamai, the client IP is the reference for the distributed mirror NOT the name server that is forwarding the request. That whole DNS story was a load of BS.

No, it's not. You don't understand how CDNs work, particularly Akamai. OpenDNS explains on its site that this problem is real, and OpenDNS does more than Google DNS to accommodate CDNs.

It's simply a trade off. There are advantages to centralized DNS services if you have slow DNS on your ISP, but if you download from CDNs, you'll often run into much greater slowdowns than you will be seeing any benefits on slightly faster static page lookups.

You're worse than what you're attacking as biased because you're so anti-agitprop you don't even realize that you're biased to the point of being ignorant AND exaggerated. You sound like Sarah Palin criticizing Michelle Obama for telling kids to eat better and get exercise. So much hate you can't see straight.
  • Reply 60 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

A lot of you guys are claiming to cancel your cable service in favor of aTV. Two questions:

What are you using for Internet access?

Do you not watch any sports or live broadcasts?

I guess they don't watch sports lol.

I have cable internet and video. Though I could live w/o the video when basketball and football are over.

Nowadays, stuff like netflix is available on computers, consoles, DVD/blu ray players, tvs themselves, GTV, ATV, and other set top boxes. There isn't any one clear winner, and depending on your needs, one or the other works great.