Samsung to rival Apple's iPod touch with Android Galaxy Player

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Samsung, the world's second largest mobile manufacturer, intends to release a media player device aimed at Apple's iPod touch, and says it will unveil the new Galaxy Player at CES.



The new music player will be based on the company's popular Galaxy S smartphone, without its mobile phone capabilities, and will run Google's Android OS 2.2 Froyo. It will include a front facing VGA camera, a rear 3.2 megapixel camera, and come in 8, 16, and 32GB versions, according to the Samsung Hub fanblog.



While a variety of Android licensees have made popular phones, Samsung is currently the only one that has produced a tablet device (the Galaxy Tab) that has sold in significant numbers. There are no popular media player devices using Android.



As one the largest manufacturers of appliances, phones, and electronic components and the number one producer of flat panel televisions, LCDs and memory chips, Samsung is the most powerful contender to ever attempt to muscle into Apple's iPod business.



Top software maker Microsoft and former consumer electronics king Sony both tried, and failed, to compete with Apple's iPod line, in both solo efforts and as part of Microsoft's PlaysForSure licensing program. Samsung hopes to ride the wave of Android apps, copying Apple's strategy of shoring up the iPhone platform by selling a music player that is almost functionally identical apart from not making mobile phone calls.







May be harder than expected



Like Sony and Microsoft, Samsung might find Apple more difficult to compete against than it expects. For starters, Samsung has no real following of basic music players as Apple had prior to launching the iPod touch. Samsung also lacks Apple's boutique retail presence and brand cachet.



Samsung also lacks a music marketplace similar to iTunes; it relies upon Google's mostly ad supported Android Market for all its third party software, which doesn't come close to the selection and quality of Apple's iOS App Store and doesn't even attempt to offer music, movies, and other popular media content.



Samsung's hardware has also historically been limited by the software it runs. Many of the complaints aimed at the company's Galaxy Tab are issues with its Android OS, which is not really designed to run tablet devices. The company's previous products have also been hampered by flawed software, ranging from the Q1 UMPC running Microsoft's Windows XP Tablet to the BlackJack smartphone running Microsoft's Windows Mobile.



Last winter, Samsung announced its own software platform named Bada, which was widely perceived to be a hedge bet against Android. The company launched its first Bada phone in Europe under the name Samsung Wave S8500 this summer, and sold a million units in the first month. The new platform now offers a catalog of apps similar in scope to Microsoft's Windows Phone 7.



In addition to being competitors in the smartphone, tablet, and PC arenas, Samsung is also a major supplier of components for Apple. The iPod maker is the company's second largest customer after Sony, and the two have cooperated on designing and fabricating the advanced ARM processors used in both Apple's iPhone 4, iPod touch and iPad as well as Samsung's Galaxy S, Galaxy Tab and the upcoming Galaxy Player.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 99
    I wonder if "pirate bay" is installed as an app & preconfgured?



    Best
  • Reply 2 of 99
    How can you have a music player without some automatic organizing tool like iTunes? That seems like a bit of a tall order.



    On the other hand, people who love iPhone but want to explore developing for Android or at least getting to know life on the other side of the fence might find this really useful. I know John Gruber of Daring Fireball has wanted something like this for a long time, and I would consider getting one myself, too.



    D
  • Reply 3 of 99
    Perhaps they can compete against the Zune and Nokia.

    iPods, iPads, iPhones and iTunes will continue to rule the industry.



    Time will tell.
  • Reply 4 of 99
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post


    How can you have a music player without some automatic organizing tool like iTunes? That seems like a bit of a tall order.



    On the other hand, people who love iPhone but want to explore developing for Android or at least getting to know life on the other side of the fence might find this really useful. I know John Gruber of Daring Fireball has wanted something like this for a long time, and I would consider getting one myself, too.



    D



    I'm not sure Gruber has 'wanted' one as much as asking where, after all this time, one is.
  • Reply 5 of 99
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,786member
    "Samsung also lacks a music marketplace similar to iTunes"



    That's the killer. iTunes is the reason for iPod's success, and it has helped iPhone and now iPad enormously. Without a software infrastructure like iTunes, Samsung is sending its users back to 2001, when people manually dragged-and-dropped files to their MP3 players.
  • Reply 6 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post


    "Samsung also lacks a music marketplace similar to iTunes"



    That's the killer. iTunes is the reason for iPod's success, and it has helped iPhone and now iPad enormously. Without a software infrastructure like iTunes, Samsung is sending its users back to 2001, when people manually dragged-and-dropped files to their MP3 players.



    I tink you'll find Windows Media Player and any other software which supports MTP will do the job.
  • Reply 7 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post






    Samsung also lacks a music marketplace similar to iTunes; it relies upon Google's mostly ad supported Android Market for all its third party software, which doesn't come close to the selection and quality of Apple's iOS App Store and doesn't even attempt to offer music, movies, and other popular media content.




    Research before writing, Daniel.



    Samsung Media Hub
  • Reply 8 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post


    "Samsung also lacks a music marketplace similar to iTunes"



    That's the killer. iTunes is the reason for iPod's success, and it has helped iPhone and now iPad enormously. Without a software infrastructure like iTunes, Samsung is sending its users back to 2001, when people manually dragged-and-dropped files to their MP3 players.



    Well, Amazon already exist and Google may come out with a music store. Microsoft and Nokia also already have music stores. I think the Apple products are simply superior. Apple may even open iTunes via their cloud initiatives to third party devices.



    Google and Samsung are just trying to copy Apple but their products are not nearly as good. I think Apple is gonna wack Google big time with iADs.



    Time will tell.
  • Reply 9 of 99
    "Like Sony and Microsoft, Samsung might find Apple more difficult to compete against than it expects."



    Ya think? Here's one measure of it: Apple last year spent well over a billion dollars in R&D. HP was it's nearest competitor in that regard, and they spent about $400 million.
  • Reply 10 of 99
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The iPod Touch is an incredibly useful (and fun) class of device for many purposes, for those without smartphones. I can?t believe it still stands alone, and I expect that any credible competitor that finally comes along will do well.



    The killer feature could be that it has a GPS before the iPod does. Add cheap navigation software and a car mount/charger and you can eliminate an expensive GPS device.
  • Reply 11 of 99
    Samsung, really? I mean going against iPod touch? For REAL?
  • Reply 12 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post


    "Like Sony and Microsoft, Samsung might find Apple more difficult to compete against than it expects."



    Ya think? Here's one measure of it: Apple last year spent well over a billion dollars in R&D. HP was it's nearest competitor in that regard, and they spent about $400 million.



    Where did you get the number?
  • Reply 13 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post


    Research before writing, Daniel.



    Samsung Media Hub



    He probably meant worthy ones. Not hard to surmise.
  • Reply 14 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post


    Perhaps they can compete against the Zune and Nokia.

    iPods, iPads, iPhones and iTunes will continue to rule the industry.



    Time will tell.



    Time already shouted. These guys are just deaf.
  • Reply 15 of 99
    LOL.



    I played with a Galaxy tablet at Best Buy while Christmas shopping.



    If I hadden't played with a Chinese import Android tablet at Frys the Galaxy would be the biggest POS tablet ever.
  • Reply 16 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Samsung, the world's second largest mobile manufacturer, intends to release a media player device aimed at Apple's iPod touch, and says it will unveil the new Galaxy Player at CES ...



    It will have to be much cheaper relative to the Galaxy S phone, than the iPod touch is relative to the iPhone for it to sell well. No one is going to pay hundreds of dollars for a crappy Android phone with the phone part removed.



    The main attraction for the iPod touch is the ecosystem, (iTunes, games, etc.), which Samsung doesn't have and won't have (at least in the competitive sense), for years. To build that, this will have to be sold almost as a loss-leader, for cost or less than cost.
  • Reply 17 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post


    LOL.



    I played with a Galaxy tablet at Best Buy while Christmas shopping.



    If I hadden't played with a Chinese import Android tablet at Frys the Galaxy would be the biggest POS tablet ever.



    Samsung sold a lot more of those "POS" tablets than I thought they would though.
  • Reply 18 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post


    He probably meant worthy ones. Not hard to surmise.



    That's quite different than



    Quote:

    doesn't even attempt to offer music, movies, and other popular media content



  • Reply 19 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    It will have to be much cheaper relative to the Galaxy S phone, than the iPod touch is relative to the iPhone for it to sell well. No one is going to pay hundreds of dollars for a crappy Android phone with the phone part removed.



    The main attraction for the iPod touch is the ecosystem, (iTunes, games, etc.), which Samsung doesn't have and won't have (at least in the competitive sense), for years. To build that, this will have to be sold almost as a loss-leader, for cost or less than cost.



    Maybe you missed the part where it says this will Android based, that takes care of the ecosystem.
  • Reply 20 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post


    Research before writing, Daniel.



    Samsung Media Hub



    That link only talks of TV and movie rentals, no mention of music, which is critical for a media player. Also, their market isn't even available on ATT or Verizon and that page has many complaints of it not working for users, so their marketplace is not a credible contender.
Sign In or Register to comment.