ios4 on a 3g -- performance

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I continue to grow increasingly frustrated with the performance of ios4 on my 3g. Yes, 4.1 made some improvements, but for the most part this device is no longer a pleasure to use and in fact I find myself considering an entirely different product.



I have seen very little in terms of complaints on this front (post ios 4.1 release). I can't imagine I am the only one that finds the performance totally unacceptable (heck, usable). Are other 3g owners satisfied with their experience? Are they still delighted with the product? I can't imagine that's the case.



Has Apple no comment on this front?



Symptoms include:

- pause/hang on 'slider to unlock' screen (80+ % of the time)

- maps, especially waiting for the soft keyboard

- text messaging, startup

- app folder open/close

- some apps, mostly games won't even run anymore and just silently crash

- some apps, just plain slow -- I have an RSS app that worked wonderfully well pre ios4 and now has multi-second lags between screens



Thanks, Ben

(considering jumping ship)

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,195moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmehling View Post


    Are other 3g owners satisfied with their experience? Are they still delighted with the product?



    Nope and nope, I find iOS 4 very difficult to use on the 3G. Painfully slow. All of the symptoms you describe.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmehling View Post


    Has Apple no comment on this front?



    I don't think so. They probably assume 4.1 fixes everything but really, I think they are done with supporting iPhone 2G and iPhone 3G. They should put more effort into the 3G as it does run iOS 4 but the 3G model isn't significantly better than the 2G performance-wise so they probably made a tough decision about whether or not to even support the 3G so they compromised and disabled the multi-tasking but it's not enough.



    More and more apps won't run on the 3G either and games look significantly downgraded in graphics.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmehling


    considering jumping ship



    The problem there is you are comparing old iPhone hardware to new alternative, possibly cheaper hardware. That's obviously going to seem like a better option. The 3GS is pretty fast on iOS 4 though so compare upgrading to a 3GS to upgrading to an Android or similar phone.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    The problem there is you are comparing old iPhone hardware to new alternative, possibly cheaper hardware. That's obviously going to seem like a better option. The 3GS is pretty fast on iOS 4 though so compare upgrading to a 3GS to upgrading to an Android or similar phone.



    A fair point.



    I suppose would add, I am not purely comparing old to new, but rather I am considering the switch having gotten fed up with being treated like this... I was perfectly happy with my 2 year old hardware (not to mention the 3G was sold as new right up to the ios4 release) previous to the software update.



    I realize there are ways to drop back to ios3, but Apple has really forced this on their loyal customers and they've basically left us holding the bag.



    Anyway... very frustrated. today I went to use the camera application and waited and waited. Grrrr.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,195moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmehling View Post


    I suppose would add, I am not purely comparing old to new, but rather I am considering the switch having gotten fed up with being treated like this... I was perfectly happy with my 2 year old hardware (not to mention the 3G was sold as new right up to the ios4 release) previous to the software update.



    Yeah, I do think the same sometimes but then if the alternative was having to miss out on some of the things iOS 4 had like folders, I probably wouldn't be too happy either. They were probably stuck between a rock and a hard place deciding whether to not put iOS 4 on it and making it run badly.



    The same is true of Android phones, the lower end ones miss out features and run poorly too and have application incompatibility.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmehling View Post


    Anyway... very frustrated. today I went to use the camera application and waited and waited. Grrrr.



    I actually had a look at Android phones today and some of them are getting very cheap and they run Android quite smoothly. Check out the LG Optimus G540 for example:



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXp5f0AtWKw



    It is a resistive screen with no pinch-zoom but it runs pretty smoothly and that phone only costs £99 incl tax ($130 ex tax). The capacitive HTC Wildfire with pinch-zoom is just £149.



    The iPhone is better quality but it still costs nearly £400 for the 3GS without a contract. I think people need to stop buying them so those prices come down a bit.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    Yeah, I do think the same sometimes but then if the alternative was having to miss out on some of the things iOS 4 had like folders, I probably wouldn't be too happy either. They were probably stuck between a rock and a hard place deciding whether to not put iOS 4 on it and making it run badly.



    I'm sure I would have been disappointed w/out the Folders and better Inbox, but at the same time those features are just not that intensive from a required hardware perspective... voice, multi-tasking, etc. Those all make sense to me as being too intense for older hardware.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    I actually had a look at Android phones today and some of them are getting very cheap and they run Android quite smoothly. Check out the LG Optimus G540 for example:



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXp5f0AtWKw



    It is a resistive screen with no pinch-zoom but it runs pretty smoothly and that phone only costs £99 incl tax ($130 ex tax). The capacitive HTC Wildfire with pinch-zoom is just £149.



    The iPhone is better quality but it still costs nearly £400 for the 3GS without a contract. I think people need to stop buying them so those prices come down a bit.



    My wife is in need of a new smart phone (her trusty old Treo died) and she really wants an iphone, but the android alternatives are looking very compelling now...



    Oh, you're in the UK. Here in the states the carriers provide discounts on the phones, then use multi-year contracts to make up for it. Further because we have two different GSM, and two different CDMA carriers (at least when you consider the big 3 or 4 services), there's very little moving from one carrier to another and people don't seem to buy unlocked phones as much.



    There were some recent deals that (with a two year contract) you could get the 3GS for like $50 and the 4G for like $150...



    Well, back to the FA Cup (ManU v Liverpool) on my DVR...



    Cheers, Ben
Sign In or Register to comment.