Mac App Store dramatically boosts Evernote users, Apple a top developer

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple's new Mac App Store has more than doubled the new users signing up with Evernote's cloud-based note capturing service when it opened two days ago, while Apple itself is also benefitting handsomely from setting up an App Store for Mac users.

Evernote sees dramatic account boost from Mac App Store

A day after the new store opened, Evernote reported that 90,000 Mac users downloaded the new app on its first day, about 40,000 of which were users new to the service.

Evernote allows users to upload photos, notes, URLs, pasteboard clippings and documents to their personal (free or paid) online storage account, and then search this content later, using sophisticated tools that, among other things, perform optical character recognition to find text within photographs uploaded to the service.

The product has been around for years, but growth began to mushroom when the company released a client app for the iPhone through the iOS App Store. Last year, Evernote reported 223 percent growth from iPhone users, who now number 1.1 million users.

Android and BlackBerry users grew even faster in 2010, but BlackBerry still only amounts to a few thousand users, while the Android userbase remains less than half that of iOS users. Other mobile platforms, including HP's Palm/webOS and Microsoft's Windows Mobile, actually lost users.

Evernote also offers both web-based and standalone desktop client apps for Mac and Windows users, and a Chrome Extension. Discovering these options, as well as downloading and installing them, is harder to do without a high profile app store, but the company's Windows and Desktop Web client users both grew by more than 200 percent in 2010.

Mac users only grew by 150 percent last year, but the opening of the Mac App Store appears set to change that. More than half of all the new users Evernote was signing up on opening day were new Mac users, who represent only half of those who downloaded the client app from the new Mac App Store.

Apple its own App Store success story

The Mac App Store has been enthusiastically embraced by other small Mac and iOS developers, as well as, of course, by Apple itself, which has eight apps listed: three iWork apps, three iLife apps (notably excluding iWeb and iDVD), as well as Aperture 3 (priced at $79.99, rather than $199 retail) and Apple Remote Desktop (also $79.99, rather than its list price of $279.95).

Apple's apps currently take five of the top twelve paid app slots, and all eight apps the company has listed are listed among its dozen "top grossing" apps, making the company its own most successful Mac App Store software developer.

Neither Adobe nor Google nor Microsoft nor Mozilla have listed any apps on the new Mac App Store, although all four have created original titles for the iOS App Store. This may allow Apple to offer a more credible challenge to Adobe's Lightroom with its own Aperture, and to further expand the installed base of iWork users at the expense of Microsoft's Office.

Apple also has a variety of other apps it has not added to the Mac App Store, including multiple versions of Final Cut and Logic, its studio-suite bundled Pro Apps such as Motion and Color, as well as the apps it currently bundles with Mac OS X, ranging from iTunes to Preview to Mail to Safari to Front Row. Some of these apps install background processes that are not allowed under Apple's terms for third party Mac App Store titles, however.

With a functional Mac software market that is easy to discover and use, Apple may seek to expand the number of formerly bundled apps it maintains and updates as standalone titles, much as Microsoft did when it stripped a variety of productivity apps from Windows Vista (including Windows Mail and Calendar) and made them a separate download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I would almost bet that the background process thing will be lifted when Lion comes out. Apple will probably create a framework for background processes like they did for the iPhone. This will give a transition path for existing software. They will probably take the strategy: if you want to be on the store, you need to switch to the new APIs. I think that Apple wants to continue to lower the energy use of their platform so they can create MacBooks that have longer battery life.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    I'd like to hear thoughts on what people think were the most obvious apps that were missing from the Mac App Store on Day 1 (other than iWork '11).

IMO: iBooks
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

I'd like to hear thoughts on what people think were the most obvious apps that were missing from the Mac App Store on Day 1 (other than iWork '11).

IMO: iBooks

iBooks is an iOS application. It's not happening. It's easier for Apple to make you buy an iOS device to read ePub files than for them to make you buy a cheap application to read them on the computer you already own.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iBooks is an iOS application. It's not happening. It's easier for Apple to make you buy an iOS device to read ePub files than for them to make you buy a cheap application to read them on the computer you already own.

In no way is a desktop or even a laptop the most desired way to read an ebook. The iPad is the best way followed by other forms of tablets and phone screens.

Therefore, the iBooks mac app would not steal customers that wanted an iPad but it would instead supplement the ios app for times when a laptop or desktop is the only option. (ie. at work, or when your spouse is using the iPad).

The mac app would be a better place to discover books, buy them and then sync them to your ios device(s). I would personally rarely read on my macbook pro but would love to see my iBooks in multiple locations, and discover new books with a keyboard for searching.

iBooks for the mac is a no-brainer and will appear in due time, get over it.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

iBooks for the mac is a no-brainer and will appear in due time, get over it.

Think what you will.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    I just downloaded evernote for my mac and iPhone 4...about 10 minutes before reading this article.

It was mentioned as a favorite app on a recent MacWorld podcast where the editors were talking about the App store and some of their favorite Apps.

Best
  • Reply 7 of 21
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I like the way Apple has split things up, I wasn't really interested in iLife as it was pretty expensive for the whole suite, I use iPhoto most and that was what I was most interested in so I bought that as a standalone, saving a lot.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I wonder how long before Apple start selling Macs and accessories through the App Store! I thought it was a good idea to do it on iTunes before.

The App Store is like having Apple Store in my own home.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I wonder how long before Apple start selling Macs and accessories through the App Store! I thought it was a good idea to do it on iTunes before.

The App Store is like having Apple Store in my own home.

Never.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Never.

Why so confident?!
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Why so confident?!

Because it would go against the name "App Store" to sell anything other than apps. Also, I doubt there are many people that want an apple product and already do not know how to go about buying one.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I've been using Evernote for ages. It's a great platform.

I still think Apple should buy them out and integrate it directly into iOS/OSX.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Do the Mac App Store versions of Apple's applications contain all the same features as the retail versions?

Apple's rules for Mac App Store:

http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/engadg...app-review.pdf

Is Apple following its own rules for their own Mac App Store applications? Especially the rules about license keys and screens, copy protection, installation of files in different locations?

Finally, how easy is to uninstall Mac App Store applications? Will it also remove settings and data for a complete removal?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wrong. It's easier to add ePub support into Previewer.app and include a full-screen mode.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Because it would go against the name "App Store" to sell anything other than apps. Also, I doubt there are many people that want an apple product and already do not know how to go about buying one.

The same thing could be said about apps. The point is, you use the same Apple ID to buy from Apple.com and having virtual Apple Store on your Mac will make the buying experience much better.

Apple already have an Apple Store app for iOS and it isn't like Apple.com is hard to find or incompatible with iOS Safari.

I think we will see it and trivial things like the name won't stop it. It is not technically impossible or hard to do.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Wrong. It's easier to add ePub support into Previewer.app and include a full-screen mode.

What does Apple get out of it? You have to buy their hardware now. Giving ePub support in Preview [sic] would be free.

Apple wins with the current model, thus it continues.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    It'll be interesting to see if future versions of Apple software will be App Store only or will still be available on DVD. I have a feeling iWork '11 will be App Store only.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

It'll be interesting to see if future versions of Apple software will be App Store only or will still be available on DVD. I have a feeling iWork '11 will be App Store only.

Logic Studio 3 and Final Cut Studio 4 will certainly be on DVD, if not SD or USB stick. They'll be physical media.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With a functional Mac software market that is easy to discover and use?

I think discovering software on the App Store is anything but easy. It?s awkward and cumbersome to browse, and very buggy. Presumably the bugs will get squashed, but the UI issues seem to be by design.

It was much easier to discover software on Version Tracker? before cNet took over the site and destroyed it.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    pwjpwj Posts: 19member
    Quote:

This may allow Apple to offer a more credible challenge to Adobe's Lightroom with its own Aperture, and to further expand the installed base of iWork users at the expense of Microsoft's Office.

There's enough quirks when interconverting between iWork and Office documents that I don't see iWork vastly supplanting Office unless iWork gains native support for Office documents. Too many people need to work on / format documents collaboratively for a niche product like iWork files to gain ubiquity.

Try importing a beautiful Keynote into PowerPoint, and the turd hits the fan hard

As for photographers, Lightroom completely blows Aperture out of the water (in my opinion at least, having used both on school computers) with the exception of Aperture's geotagging feature, and it isn't terribly difficult to "geotag" photos in Lightroom by putting them into folders based on their location (and cameras number photos sequentially, meaning that all of a single session's photos will be already grouped on your memory card)

But it's funny to see Apple competing "race to the bottom" style by drastically undercutting its normal Aperture price.

Quote:

Apple also has a variety of other apps it has not added to the Mac App Store, including multiple versions of Final Cut and Logic, its studio-suite bundled Pro Apps such as Motion and Color, as well as the apps it currently bundles with Mac OS X, ranging from iTunes to Preview to Mail to Safari to Front Row. Some of these apps install background processes that are not allowed under Apple's terms for third party Mac App Store titles, however.

And FCP hits your hard drive space like a nuclear bomb. You'd be crazy to try to install such a huge app over the internet without disc backup (in case your hard drive gets fried and you don't want to reinstall by redownloading 10GB+ of data)