When to replace good Macbook battery?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a late 2007 Santa Rosa 2.0 GHz Macbook. It's still on its first and only battery and that battery is still working just fine, after 3+ years.

I have noticed, though, that the battery is swelling: the outer side is definitely convex, such that it grounds on a flat surface and the little bumper foot nearest the battery cover is lifted off the surface.

Time to replace that battery? Again, I emphasize that the battery is still performing fine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    If the slight swelling doesn't bother you, why replace it if it works fine?

Now, eventually it's ability to hold a charge will drop off sharply...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angus McCallum View Post

I have a late 2007 Santa Rosa 2.0 GHz Macbook. It's still on its first and only battery and that battery is still working just fine, after 3+ years.

I have noticed, though, that the battery is swelling: the outer side is definitely convex, such that it grounds on a flat surface and the little bumper foot nearest the battery cover is lifted off the surface.

Time to replace that battery? Again, I emphasize that the battery is still performing fine.

You don't need to smell them to decide, check the battery cycles in About This Mac - Power - Battery Information - Cycles count. I had MacBook White up till this last fall and I'd had to change the battery when the counter was close to 300 cycles - it's an average number for what particular type of battery.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

If the slight swelling doesn't bother you, why replace it if it works fine?

Now, eventually it's ability to hold a charge will drop off sharply...

Replace it before the swelling cracks the case, as it did in my own case. Once the case is cracked, you've lost a lot of resell value.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ComboApp View Post

You don't need to smell them to decide, check the battery cycles in About This Mac - Power - Battery Information - Cycles count. I had MacBook White up till this last fall and I'd had to change the battery when the counter was close to 300 cycles - it's an average number for what particular type of battery.

I've never seen an official cycle count for when you should replace one. Mine jut hit 1100 and has started showing signs of needing replacement. (It just started shutting off/dropping all power once it hits about 20% gone).
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Bad luck.

I have called Apple, which says that a swelling battery is not a recall issue -- i.e. they won't give me a free replacement -- but they say that yes, a swelling battery should be replaced before it damages the macbook. And of course they offered to sell me one.

I see that third-party batteries are a fraction of the $129.99 price Apple wants for its own A1185 MA561LL/A battery. Do we think it is worth paying up for the Apple battery?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angus McCallum View Post

Bad luck.

I have called Apple, which says that a swelling battery is not a recall issue -- i.e. they won't give me a free replacement -- but they say that yes, a swelling battery should be replaced before it damages the macbook. And of course they offered to sell me one.

I see that third-party batteries are a fraction of the $129.99 price Apple wants for its own A1185 MA561LL/A battery. Do we think it is worth paying up for the Apple battery?

Yes Angus,

It does worth to pay for Apple's firm battery cause last year I tried to save some $$$ by purchasing a Chinese version and it lasted only 10 cycles then I got warning for a battery replacement. Even if that warning was false I didn't have a way of telling if that battery good and it was just MacBook's hardware wasn't capable to identify its cycles correctly.