Drivers for Boot Camp, 10.6 and later

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Dear AppleInsider forums,

Firstly, I apologize if this topic of questioning has been addressed in a previous thread that I was not able to locate.

My inquiry:

A friend of mine is a user of a late '07 MBP and is now, finally, wishing to install Windows on his machine in order that he apply for a job which lists a windows PC as a minimum requirement for hire. He had asked for my assistance with the bootcamp utility, but figured it out (mostly) on his own. That's the good news. Now, I too have a MBP (late '06) and also run windows on my machine. My experience, however, was of bootcamp when it was still a utility downloaded off of Apple's website rather than how it is now a component of OS X. Thus, when I installed bootcamp, my computer also had me burn a CD with drivers for windows XP, but when my friend most recently attempted this process, it simply instructed him to insert his copy of 10.6 into the optical drive and into Windows itself. Now, watching him do this, I observed how it prompted him that "no drivers were available" or something similarly obscure, despite the disc itself showing up as "OS X drivers."

I ask, then, for your assistance from a standpoint of relative ignorance, in appeal to assist my friend's economic situation. It is my understanding that Apple will not, and has never provided technical assistance with bootcamp procedures, and so you, AppleInsider forums, are my first and best recourse.

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Sincerely,

Sui

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,440moderator
    Did you try the Bootcamp drivers that you burned for your own MBP? Also, which version of Windows did he install? Apple may not have developed Windows 7 drivers for older machines.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Did you try the Bootcamp drivers that you burned for your own MBP? Also, which version of Windows did he install? Apple may not have developed Windows 7 drivers for older machines.

He has successfully installed XP. I have no idea, meanwhile, where my bootcamp disc from 3 years ago went.

Speaking to him on it further, he indicated that it was a "update" file that it prompted him with, saying he was missing it and thus could not install drivers.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thank you Sui for inquiring for me.

Once XP was installed, I inserted my 10.6 Install Disc and was prompted by the disc to install additional drivers. I accepted the alert, and was then notified that 'UPDATE' was missing and could not complete the install.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,440moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mionehymnal View Post

Thank you Sui for inquiring for me.

Once XP was installed, I inserted my 10.6 Install Disc and was prompted by the disc to install additional drivers. I accepted the alert, and was then notified that 'UPDATE' was missing and could not complete the install.

If you Google for Bootcamp drivers iso, you will find torrent links for the old drivers. Those should install ok. Running Windows via Bootcamp is just running Windows natively so you can install older drivers and it won't conflict with a newer Bootcamp.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by celebsfann View Post

I installed Bootcamp on my MBP using the Leopard DVD which came out last Fall. Since 10.5.2 has been out, I suppose that there have been updates on the Boot Camp Drivers for Windows. Anybody knows how to get and install the latest drivers? Thanks.

Thanks, mate

Via Boot Camp itself from within Windows.