Briefly: 1M BlackBerry PlayBooks, Wikipedia founder calls App Store "dangerous," more evidence for i

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A report out of the Far East claims volume production of Research in Motion's BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will reach 1 million shipments in the first quarter of 2011, while Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales criticized Apple's App Store as "very dangerous" and a threat to Internet freedom. Finally, more evidence that cameras are coming to Apple's second-generation iPad has been discovered in the iOS 4.3 beta.

PlayBook

According to a report from Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes Friday, manufacturer Quanta Computer has already begun production of the PlayBook, which sources say will reach 1 million units by the end of the quarter. By comparison, Apple sold its first million iPads in just 28 days.

The Wi-Fi only version of the BlackBerry PlayBook will reportedly be released in March, followed by a 3G version with "Push Mail functions." A 4G-enabled version of the tablet is due out this summer on the Sprint network.

The report also notes that Motorola is expected to produce 700,000-800,000 units of the Android-based Xoom tablet. Motorola has outsourced the Xoom to Compal Electronics, with Wi-Fi and 3G-enabled versions coming in the first quarter and an LTE version on Verizon in the second quarter, claimed the report.

Wikipedia

Speaking in a "purely personal capacity" at an event in Bristol, England, Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales said app stores like Apple's iOS App Store can act as a "chokepoint that is very dangerous."

It is time to ask if the model was "a threat to a diverse and open ecosystem," Wales continued. "We own [a] device, and we should control it."

Wales went on to downplay worry over net neutrality, arguing that many concerns are hypothetical and don't pose an immediate danger. The campaign for net neutrality has elements that are "highly overblown," centering more on fears about what might happen than what is happening.

During the speech, Wales also highlighted a lack of diversity among contributors to Wikipedia, which will celebrate its 10th anniversary on Saturday. 87 percent of contributors are male, with an average age of 26, and twice as likely to have PhDs as the general population. Wales hopes to improve the site's diversity by simplifying Wikipedia's editing system.

Last month, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission ruled in favor of network neutrality, but gave mobile networks an exemption, citing Google's Android mobile OS as a reason to take "measured steps" for wireless carriers.

iPad 2 camera

Engadget reports that evidence of "shutter screens and camera / video icons" has been discovered in the developer build of iOS 4.3, possibly suggesting that the next-generation iPad will indeed feature a camera. According to the report, the icons are optimized for a 1024 x 768 resolution display, the same as the first-generation iPad.

Apple issued the beta on Wednesday, with several new features, including new multitouch gestures and a "Find My Friends" feature tied to MobileMe. The update will also reportedly add the ability to choose between setting the iPad hardware switch as a mute button or an orientation lock.

Code in the iOS 4.3 beta also referred to two new iPhone and three new iPad models. The unannounced iPhones are known as "iPhone4,1" and "iPhone4,2," while the next-generation iPads are referred to as "iPad2,1," "iPad2,2," and "iPad2,3."

Reports of a camera on the second-generation iPad have been strengthened by various sources. In September, AppleInsider exclusively reported that Apple planned to bring FaceTime to the iPad, possibly ahead of the usual 12-month product cycle. More recently, leaked cases allegedly for the iPad 2 have a spot for a rear camera and enlarged speaker grille.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 126
    Perhaps there will be a cheaper, non-camera enabled version of the iPad, hence the three versions?
  • Reply 2 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Perhaps there will be a cheaper, non-camera enabled version of the iPad, hence the three versions?

Probably not. Wifi, GSM, and CDMA.
  • Reply 3 of 126
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    So Wales says that the App Store is a dangerous choke point. As though the App Store is the only way to distribute apps.

Then says that net neutrality are overblown? When every mobile carrier has shown some interest in it.
  • Reply 4 of 126
    What is this freedom and how is it compromised? I don't get it... The AppStore isn't the Internet... Apparently removing the video codec that everyone uses to view the majority of non-Flash internet video from one of the main web browsers so that this web browser company can try to force everyone to use their codec is increasing internet freedom though...

Sounds like RIM is building enough to fill a worldwide distribution channel... just like the Windows Phone 7...
  • Reply 5 of 126
    Ooops! Looks like Steve won't be making a donation this year!
  • Reply 6 of 126
    I feel like pointing out that Apple was one of Wikipedia's first main proponents, ungrateful wretch...... lol
  • Reply 7 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to a report from Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes Friday, manufacturer Quanta Computer has already begun production of the PlayBook, which sources say will reach 1 million units by the end of the quarter. By comparison, Apple sold its first million iPads in just 28 days.

After the Samsung Galaxy Tab?s sales using Android 2.2 I think 1M PlayBooks is conservative.

Quote:

[Code in the iOS 4.3 beta also referred to two new iPhone and three new iPad models. The unannounced iPhones are known as "iPhone4,1" and "iPhone4,2," while the next-generation iPads are referred to as "iPad2,1," "iPad2,2," and "iPad2,3."

What about the mysterious iPhone3,3 listing. In other words, a 3rd iPhone 4. The CDMA model with a Sim/UIM tray for Asian CDMA networks? The GSM/TD-SCDMA model for China Mobile? I doubt it would be a whole new model now for the AWS band for T-Mobile.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I don?t think so. The cost of the camera is too small to warranty a different device for sale.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Probably not. Wifi, GSM, and CDMA.

That?s what I?m thinking, but I?m also thinking the higher capacity WiFi-only model could be withdrawn, as well as the lowest capacity in the cellular models. That would keep it at 6 total models like they have now. My reasoning is based intermittent checks at Amazon seeing the 64Gb WiFi model and 16Gb WiFi+3G model being the weakest sellers. (too tired to check Amazon before posting )
  • Reply 8 of 126
    I appreciate the App Store because I like the idea of apps being filtered and moderated to a certain extent. Just look at the mess that the "open Internet" has created for desktop operating systems in the last 30 years... it's a mess. The App Store is a clean, vetted source of apps, quality or otherwise. At least I know I won't have to wade through crap masquerading as legitimate products, like all of those "camera and printer driver" websites out there.
  • Reply 9 of 126
    Well.. there goes Wikipedia garbage off my iPhone!
  • Reply 10 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

After the Samsung Galaxy Tab?s sales using Android 2.2 I think 1M PlayBooks is conservative.

Sounds like there is (would be) quite a demand for 7 inch iPads to me.
  • Reply 11 of 126
    Quote:

... founder Jimmy Wales said app stores like Apple's iOS App Store can act as a "chokepoint that is very dangerous."

It is time to ask if the model was "a threat to a diverse and open ecosystem," Wales continued. "We own [a] device, and we should control it."

Ultimate control is in the hand of the consumer. You dont like it, dont buy it. What is so complicated about that.

Contributions to Wikipedia... yeah, need more diversity... less PHDs posting on there and more ignorant idiots to put up misinformation.
  • Reply 12 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Sounds like there is (would be) quite a demand for 7 inch iPads to me.

Have you seen or tried a 7 inch pad. I was amazed at how small it is when I saw it. I would never want one.
  • Reply 13 of 126
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    App store a tiny tiny tiny part of the Internet experience is dangerous

While having less net neutrality (basically the whole freaking Internet) is not a problem.

Is this guy high?
  • Reply 14 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

Ultimate control is in the hand of the consumer. You dont like it, dont buy it. What is so complicated about that.

Contributions to Wikipedia... yeah, need more diversity... less PHDs posting on there and more ignorant idiots to put up misinformation.

Is Steve Jobs spooning you right now? Here is an idea, Freedom of Choice! Allow third party OTA installations without asking for Papa's permission, warn the user of the danger but let the user choose! Its a mobile computing platform just like a Apple Macintosh not a toaster.

So I dont buy it? I'll go to google where I have more installation freedom but they will mine all my personal data to exploit me in the future. Maybe I'll check out WP7, ohh wait they are doing both.

God your the customer, pretend for once like your in the drivers seat, looking after your own self interest and demanding progress instead of running PR for Apple.

Its up to us to mold the construct of how the corporation behaves in our society, its the dog and has its purpose but we are supposed to be the handler!
  • Reply 15 of 126
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agolongo View Post

Is Steve Jobs spooning you right now? Here is an idea, Freedom of Choice!

Do you even know what "freedom of choice" means?

Apple has the freedom to control their own app store.

And you have the freedom to not buy anything made by apple.
  • Reply 16 of 126
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    I also dont get Jimmy Wales point either, at least as far as is quoted in this article.

but, what it might be equivalent to is this:

a private app store is equivalent to a new shopping mall in the suburbs in the early 70's, drawing shoppers away from the city.

shopping malls drew people away from a more spread out, and therefore more equalized economy.

shopping malls centralised people away from a more broad based shopping pattern and concentrated the purchasing power into the hands of the mall tenants.

it is a interesting comparison that could be made with the apple app store. iTunes store accounts for how much of all music purchased in the USA? same could happen to apps as well. fewer traffic to smaller independent software houses.
  • Reply 17 of 126
    taniatania Posts: 63member
    i don't think net neutrality is that much of an issue in Europe as it is in the US. I may be wrong though.

I also think Wales criticism for the App Store stem from Apple's power to yank out any offending apps from your iPhone, which so far Apple has never exercised that right so far.

I do find it contradictory that Wales would have two differring opinions of the two though. As they both concern private companies flexing their corporate muscle squashing end users over the net.
  • Reply 18 of 126
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

During the speech, Wales also highlighted a lack of diversity among contributors to Wikipedia, which will celebrate its 10th anniversary on Saturday. 87 percent of contributors are male, with an average age of 26, and twice as likely to have PhDs as the general population. Wales hopes to improve the site's diversity by simplifying Wikipedia's editing system.[/url][/c]

Yes I think it's ridiculous how many PhDs are contributing. Wales must make it possible for illiterate people, people in comas and children under the age of five to contribute as well.
  • Reply 19 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Do you even know what "freedom of choice" means?

Apple has the freedom to control their own app store.

And you have the freedom to not buy anything made by apple.

Why dont you start and read Milton Friedman's book "Free to Choose", or better yet watch the movie. God knows you wont read a book.

We are dealing with collusion being created through a co-op of corporate and government interest, limiting the consumers freedom. For example in Canada it has just been established that breaking digital locks on a Iphone, Android or WP7 is illegal. So too bad you dont have a open device, you cant open it.

We have nowhere to go. Its not just Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't. They are probably saying 1 million, because the cost is going to be higher than that of the iPad or the Android competition.

Everything I have read sounds like they are going to target executive customers and this just adds another nail into that coffin.