iTunes migration -- not so simple

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have always found that doing things on a Mac is much more simple and straightforward. UNTIL - I recently got a new MacBook Pro. My old Mac had my iTunes on it. I would like to do two things.

1. Copy all the songs, settings and playlists to the new Mac.

Migration Assistant was not the answer because I was told by Apple 800 that that process deletes from the old Mac. They then had me copy the iTunes folder to the new Mac which I have done. But my playlists are still on my old Mac. What next?

2. Have the two Macs sync automatically when a new song is downloaded to one of them. No clue how to accomplish this but I am confident that AppleInsider has someone that can help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I do not know of any way (short of an Apple Script or some external application) to automatically sync media files from one iTunes library to another if said files were not purchased from the iTunes Store. Items purchased from the iTunes store on one computer can be synched to any other computer using the same iTunes Store account with the Home Sharing feature.

As for moving/copying your iTunes library, here is some reading:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...ew-hard-drive/

http://ipod.about.com/od/howtos/a/transfer_itunes.htm
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

Items purchased from the iTunes store on one computer can be synched to any other computer using the same iTunes Store account with the Home Sharing feature.

Home Sharing can actually be used to copy any items from one library to another regardless of whether they were purchased from the iTunes Store. I know all the documentation implies it'll only work with iTunes purchased stuff, but actually all that's required is an iTunes ID to activate. Once Home Sharing is activated, you can synch anything; I know this for a fact as I have done it myself multiple times. However, the process is not automatic.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Home Sharing can actually be used to copy any items from one library to another regardless of whether they were purchased from the iTunes Store. I know all the documentation implies it'll only work with iTunes purchased stuff, but actually all that's required is an iTunes ID to activate. Once Home Sharing is activated, you can synch anything; I know this for a fact as I have done it myself multiple times. However, the process is not automatic.

While it is true that the Home Sharing feature can be used to share/copy any media within one iTunes library to another, what I was pointing out is the fact that the automatic synching features of Home Sharing function only with items purchased through the iTunes Store.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

While it is true that the Home Sharing feature can be used to share/copy any media within one iTunes library to another, what I was pointing out is the fact that the automatic synching features of Home Sharing function only with items purchased through the iTunes Store.

The easy way, though not completely automatic, is to browse your home share on the secondary computer and select "show only files not on this computer". Then just drag all those (new) files over, and they will all copy in a single step. Do this any time you have new media files not purchased through iTunes.