2008 Mac Pro NVidia 8800 Graphics Card Problems - 2nd One

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had any similar issues.

I have an early 2008 Mac Pro. I had the custom installed NVidia 8800 graphics card fail after 6 months. Apple replaced it free.

The second one has been giving me issues for years now. My computer crashes alot. Hard drives won't wake up from sleep, which of course causes me to restart alot. And when I do restart I have to do it manually multiple times to get the computer OS to boot. Like 8-10 times. And this happens a couple times a week.

At first I thought it might be my Sonnet esata cards working my multiple hard drives but after running a test it came back all issues with the 8800 graphics card.

Anyone have any thoughts? I was thinking of bringing it to the Apple store again, but at this point I know I'm past my Applecare.

Does anyone know new graphics cards that would work well for this Early 2008 Mac Pro model? I work in video editing and music production.

Thanks so much for any info or help. I've been frustrated yet dealing with it for a couple years now and need to finally figure it out. I really appreciate it!

Frank

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Hello,

I have an early 2008 Mac Pro. I had the custom installed NVidia 8800 graphics card fail after 6 months. Apple replaced it free.

The second one has been giving me issues for years now. My computer crashes alot. Hard drives won't wake up from sleep, which of course causes me to restart alot. And when I do restart I have to do it manually multiple times to get the computer OS to boot. Like 8-10 times. And this happens a couple times a week.

At first I thought it might be my Sonnet esata cards working my multiple hard drives but after running a test it came back all issues with the 8800 graphics card.

Anyone have any thoughts? I was thinking of bringing it to the Apple store again, but at this point I know I'm past my Applecare.

Does anyone know new graphics cards that would work well for this Early 2008 Mac Pro model? I work in video editing and music production.

Thanks so much for any info or help. I've been frustrated yet dealing with it for a couple years now and need to finally figure it out. I really appreciate it!

Frank

Get an ATI card. The nvidia cards are dire and blowout. Especially the 8800. I have only ever had issues with macs that have nvidia cards, especially the 8800 used in the iMacs.

You should be able to use an appropriate ATI hd 4870, I believe that their is a mac specific card but that you can also flash other cards to work too.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Hello,

Frank

As you still have the current body style just go to your local Apple store, they should carry a few ATI cards in the back for upgrades and can just sell you the card, just ask them what they have. I would also contact nvidia and maybe ask a Genius as there may be a known issue with the card and they may swap it for you again or give you a credit twords an ATI card.

Never hurts to ask...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    anmlprhtanmlprht Posts: 1member
    I had the same problem on Mac Pro 2008 and just switched out the NVidia 8800 for ATI 5750. What did you end up doing and what were the results?
    De
  • Reply 4 of 4
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

The Nvidia 8800 GT was a very glitchy card, if your having problems there isn't much you can do. I would just try to sell it as was suggested by the others. I find the Quadro 4000 to be the best video card option for the Mac Pros. You can grab one off of eBay for about 400.