Putting iMac to sleep?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How the hell do you put an iMac to sleep from the login screen and turn the Magic Mouse off?

First of all, you can't turn the mouse off first, because the keyboard shortcut for sleep doesn't work from the login screen.

Secondly, you can't put the machine to sleep then turn the mouse off because turning the mouse off wakes up the computer and gives you a "connection lost" message!

Frustrating.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Immediately after hitting Sleep, turn the Magic Mouse off. You have to have it turned off before the fans stop and the hard drive ticks to signify the beginning of sleep.

Works every time. Been doing it since launch.

And you have to do it this way instead of unticking " Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" if you want to be able to use the mouse to wake it when you want it woken, obviously.

Otherwise just untick that box.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Immediately after hitting Sleep, turn the Magic Mouse off. You have to have it turned off before the fans stop and the hard drive ticks to signify the beginning of sleep.

Works every time. Been doing it since launch.

And you have to do it this way instead of unticking " Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" if you want to be able to use the mouse to wake it when you want it woken, obviously.

Otherwise just untick that box.

Your trick doesn't seem to work from the login screen.

One thing you absolutely DON'T want to do, evidently, is to turn off the mouse then use the power button on the machine to sleep. After doing this, I've found absolutely no way to connect the mouse again without restarting.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Hi

From login , "ctrl-F7-fn" to highlight shutdown button, then "tab" twice to highlight Sleep and then "space bar" to select. This has got to be one of the longest shortcuts in history.

I have noticed my mac will not sleep for more than 2 seconds when I use the shortcut option-command -eject anybody else with this problem?

Regards Greg.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Honey Bee View Post

Hi

From login , "ctrl-F7-fn" to highlight shutdown button, then "tab" twice to highlight Sleep and then "space bar" to select. This has got to be one of the longest shortcuts in history.

I have noticed my mac will not sleep for more than 2 seconds when I use the shortcut option-command -eject anybody else with this problem?

Regards Greg.

Thanks! I'll test this and let you know if it works.... Seems okay, but I still have to test to make sure the mouse can connect again.

Same problem. Mouse can't connect after waking the iMac from sleep. Restart required.