Elvis...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
8/16/77...

Still matters... Amazing ain't it? I'm a fan of his early Sun recordings and his '68 comeback special. Wonder if they'll ever show his Hawaiian TV Special? I remember watching that one when I was a teenager. But then his whole world started falling apart...prisoner of his Las Vegas persona...and fried bananna sandwiches.

Video cap from an Elvis CBS special June 21, 1977...you can see the end was near...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member

"Ok ladies, who's first?"
  • Reply 2 of 9
    CNN had a poll as to whose death affected you the most... on the list were Elvis Presley, John Lennon, Bob Marley, Kurt Cobain, and a few others...

John Lennon had 40%

Elvis Presly had 20%

Kurt Cobain had 19%

Was a good way to see what their readership demographics were at a glance I remember when Kurt Cobain kicked the bucket, of all of them I'm pretty sure I was only alive for him.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I remember all three. Was 8 and watching a "Gilligan's Island" rerun and the show was interrupted and the news guy came on and said "this just in from Memphis, Tennessee...Elvis Presley is dead..." or something along those lines. My mom cried.

I knew who he was (actually had a 45 of "Hound Dog"/"Don't Be Cruel" and was completely aware of him and his impact, even at that age (was, even then, into music, pop culture, movies, rock & roll, etc.) so I knew it was a big deal.

Later that week, my mom, sister (two years younger) and I went down to a local radio station, WFLI, to sign a huge condolence/sympathy book that was to be eventually sent to Memphis and, presumably, Elvis' dad Vernon and the family.

We stood in line for over an hour and there was a picture of us in the paper the next day. You can tell it's 1977 because I'm wearing cut-off denim shorts, tube socks up to my knees with thick stripes at the top, Trax tennis shoes (like Starsky wore) and an "Adidas" logo shirt.

Still have the pic.

Lennon, same thing. I had JUST gotten into the Beatles earlier that year (1980) because a buddy of mine had found his Mom's "Meet the Beatles" LP in a trunk in the closet. We started playing it and eventually started buying our own with allowance/chore money. Within 3 months, we both had yardsale-bought cheapo guitars and chord books.

I was on my way. Still playing, 22 years later.

I remember being sad because I felt like I'd JUST gotten into them months earlier and felt like something was snatched away. I bought all the memorial magazines that hit the shelves within a months' time.

As far as Cobain goes, I was never into Nirvana or that whole particular scene, so his death didn't impact me at all. But it's always sad when someone young goes that way, so I was bummed on that level.

Just wasn't a fan or listener, so it didn't bum me out or devastate me like it did others. I was working in Orange County at the time, doing graphics, and one of the guys from the warehouse comes in to the front offices and says "hey, the radio just said that guy from Nirvana killed himself!".

One of the girls there started crying and went out to her car and got a Nirvana tape.

Honestly, George Harrison's death hit me harder than all the above combined. He was always - from the get-go - my favorite Beatle and it was his licks, solos, fills, etc. that I first learned on guitar (and through him, discovered Scotty Moore, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Chet Atkins, etc.), so Harrison's death in December REALLY hit me harder than I would've expected.

That night, I saw a clip of him doing a solo acoustic version of "Something" on some news show and teared-up quite a bit. Then I grabbed my Gibson and played along.

Coolest thing? On this version, during where the solo is, he just strummed the chords and kinda hummed a bit. I played the solo (had known it - note for note - for YEARS), with George on TV, "playing rhythm guitar for me". It struck me then and there how cool that was. I had a big goofy smile on my face. But my eyes were a bit watery, of course.

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I guess Cobain was my generation. The whole angst ridden grunge rock thing. Listening to music like that now gets me all teary eyed now. It sucks to grow up

Even though I wouldn't call that time the highlight of my life, I was happy to be sad then. Memories... damn, here come the waterworks

I didn't lose sleep over Cobain's death, but it affected me. I'd seen them in concert a few months earlier when they were touring for In Utero. I've got a pair of Chuck Taylor's from the day his death was announced... *shrugs* I'm going to go find my Nirvana CDs now
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I've never gotten the HUGE appeal of Elvis, at least to people who weren't young when he was first popular. I like some of his songs and all but...

Looking back with a little perspective, he did the same kind of music black guys had been doing for years. He was a good singer, but I can name tons I like better. He was a great looking guy and could dance, but those adjectives apply to certain current artists I hesitate to name for fear of starting an all out flameathon.

IMO, he just isn't in the same league with the Beatles, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bob Dylan or quite a few others.

Jeff

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Elvis isn't dead, duh?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by jeffyboy:

[QB]Looking back with a little perspective, he did the same kind of music black guys had been doing for years. He was a good singer, but I can name tons I like better. He was a great looking guy and could dance, but those adjectives apply to certain current artists I hesitate to name for fear of starting an all out flameathon.

QB]<hr></blockquote>

I'll help you out then. Backstreet boys, and Nsync, and Eminem. (I hope that the sanity of the people here will prevent a flameathon, show that my trust in the maturity of AI posters)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    [quote]Originally posted by pyr3:

<strong>

I'll help you out then. Backstreet boys, and Nsync, and Eminem. (I hope that the sanity of the people here will prevent a flameathon, show that my trust in the maturity of AI posters)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Then you're in trouble. Presley wasn't a manufactured bullshit band such as Backstreet boys, and Nsync...no ****in' way (later on yes...). Eminem? Noooooooooooooooooo. Elvis started...they borrowed. Elvis borrowed, but he innovated (he didn't know it...but he did). You have to understand the times. Chuck Berry could tap the market, but couldn't connect with whites. Pat Boone tried too...couldn't connect with blacks and the whites who knew better. Elvis had this "mutant" factor that combined the elements of blues and white hillbilly music. All the others were just imitations and retreads. But still, he went nowhere after the Army...it all became Col. Tom Parker's machine...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, there was that brief period where Elvis (pre-Army/pre-cheesy movies) was IT.

For all the reasons Artman stated. Imagine the times: as a white teen, it was probably a bit taboo to like "rock & roll", especially if it was performed by a black man.

Hell, even Elvis certainly got flack and was seen as "dangerous" by many (all that hip wiggling HAD to be bad, right?).

Elvis wasn't manufactured AT ALL,and anyone who knows their rock history knows about how he walked into Sun Studios to make a record for his mom, and eventually was paired with guitarist Scotty Moore and bassist Bill Black and they had this cool sound they came to.

Great, raw rockabilly/blues/country, all rammed together during those Sun sessions and recordings.

Yes, after the Army and after Parker making these ridiculous movie deals and so forth, he became not quite so cool (and only got worse as the 70's arrived).

Whenever I say that I like Elvis, I always feel I have to qualify that statement with a "pre-Army, of course..." disclaimer.