Briefly: Verizon iPhone Qualcomm baseband, Netgear CEO apologizes, Apple looking for more LTE engine

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With Monday's release of iOS 4.2.6 for the Verizon CDMA iPhone, one hacker claims to have confirmation that Apple went with Qualcomm for the CDMA baseband. Also, Netgear CEO Patrick Lo has apologized for comments he made about Steve Jobs, and Apple job listings reveal that the iPhone maker continues to look for engineers with LTE experience, possibly in preparation for a 4G LTE iPhone.

Qualcomm baseband

Within hours of Apple's posting of iOS 4.2.6 for the Verizon iPhone Monday, Italian hacker Zibri claims to have discovered that the new software utilizes a Qualcomm baseband.

"Apple today posted the firmware for the Verizon CDMA iPhone and

guess what? It has a Qualcomm baseband! Version: 1.0.05," wrote Zibri on his blog.

Earlier in January, Zibri claimed to have found evidence supporting a Qualcomm baseband in an iTunes update.

Qualcomm had long been pegged as the likely provider of a CDMA baseband for the iPhone. Last year, AppleInsider discovered a Qualcomm job posting for a "iPhone Developer Guru" to work on a top secret project.

Rumors have emerged suggesting that Apple's next-generation iPhone and iPad could sport dual GSM and CDMA radios in order to eliminate the need for two separate devices.

Netgear apology

After off-the-cuff remarks by Netgear CEO Patrick Lo drew criticism Monday, the executive has issued an apology for comments that some had interpreted to refer to Apple CEO Steve Jobs' health issues, though he continues to stand by his views on "business issues."

Lo made the comments Monday during a lunch in Sydney, Australia. "Once Steve Jobs goes away, which is probably not far away, then Apple will have to make a strategic decision on whether to open up the platform," Lo said, comparing while Google Android to Apple's iOS.

"I stand by the opinions I stated on the business issues. Supporting open standards and environments in order to ease seamless networking integration of multimedia content is good for the consumer and good for content providers," wrote Lo in an email.

"However, I deeply regret the choice of words I used in relation to business decisions Apple must grapple with in the future in relation to open vs. closed systems, which have been construed by some to be references to Steve Jobs? health and which was never my intention. I sincerely apologize that what I said was interpreted this way, and I wish Steve only the very best."

LTE engineers

Reports emerged Monday that Apple is looking for an experienced engineer familiar with various networking technologies, including the 4G LTE standard.

Apple's job site has a posting for an "iOS cellular protocol sw engineer" who would be based in Shanghai, China. The engineer, would "help develop [Apple's] next generation of iOS products." The position's duties include: "Implementation, Integration, customization, enhancement and maintenance of L1-3 Protocols for one or more of the following air interface: GSM/UMTS, CDMA (1x/EVDO), LTE etc."

In March of last year, a job posting for a cellular technology software manager also listed knowledge of LTE as a requirement for the position.

Last week, China Mobile Chairman Wang Jianzhou claimed that Apple has plans to support LTE. "These two years we have been discussing the issue. Right now the situation is moving forward. Apple has made it clear they will support TD-LTE," he was quoted as saying.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    What a douche. This whole open vs. closed thing is so meaningless. Open isn't really open and closed isn't really closed. Criticism of Apple for being closed is just a deceitful and unimaginative way of saying I hate you because you did what they told us not to do in MBA school and succeeded.

Thought experiment: imagine Lo had been CEO of Apple since Steve came back. Do we see Apple being what it is today?
  • Reply 2 of 36
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"However, I deeply regret the choice of words I used in relation to business decisions Apple must grapple with in the future in relation to open vs. closed systems, which have been construed by some to be references to Steve Jobs? health and which was never my intention. I sincerely apologize that what I said was interpreted this way, and I wish Steve only the very best."

No you don't. You're just a vulture waiting to pick up the scraps, and everyone knows it.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Maybe he should have thought of his word choice ~before he said anything. That might have been helpful.

At any rate, that wasn't the only stupidity Lo said. Maybe he should apologize for being misinformed. (Whichever "side" you may be on, you have to admit Lo is only looking at some perspectives and totally ignoring others.)
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

What a douche. This whole open vs. closed thing is so meaningless. Open isn't really open and closed isn't really closed. Criticism of Apple for being closed is just a deceitful and unimaginative way of saying I hate you because you did what they told us not to do in MBA school and succeeded.

Thought experiment: imagine Lo had been CEO of Apple since Steve came back. Do we see Apple being what it is today?

Exactly!
  • Reply 5 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Qualcomm

I hope it does happen but I don’t see economy-of-scale working well for the chips and licensing involved.

Netgear

I’d bet money Apple has supported open source more than Netgear.
    LTE

I hope this doesn’t make people think LTE will coming to an iPhone in the next couple months.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Netgear apology

After off-the-cuff remarks by Netgear CEO Patrick Lo drew criticism Monday, the executive has issued an apology for comments that some had interpreted to refer to Apple CEO Steve Jobs' health issues, though he continues to stand by his views on "business issues."

Lo made the comments Monday during a lunch in Sydney, Australia. "Once Steve Jobs goes away, which is probably not far away, then Apple will have to make a strategic decision on whether to open up the platform," Lo said, comparing while Google Android to Apple's iOS.

"I stand by the opinions I stated on the business issues. Supporting open standards and environments in order to ease seamless networking integration of multimedia content is good for the consumer and good for content providers," wrote Lo in an email.

"However, I deeply regret the choice of words I used in relation to business decisions Apple must grapple with in the future in relation to open vs. closed systems, which have been construed by some to be references to Steve Jobs’ health and which was never my intention. I sincerely apologize that what I said was interpreted this way, and I wish Steve only the very best."

************************************************** ************************************************

In response to Netgears CEO

As a CEO his choice of words and timing of his statement leaves much to be desired.

How disgraceful to come out and make an adverse comment about Steves Jobs health .

SHAME! SHAME SHAME!!!

Truly a disgrace! and sign of an idiot.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:

"However, I deeply regret the choice of words I used in relation to business decisions Apple must grapple with in the future in relation to open vs. closed systems, which have been construed by some to be references to Steve Jobs? health and which was never my intention.

...huh? Perhaps I misunderstood Mr. Lo's "context" - or perhaps some other parameter. Best that I bring his comments forward so that I may reconsider them in light of his regret that I "misinterpreted" them.

Quote:

"Once Steve Jobs goes away, which is probably not far away, then Apple will have to make a strategic decision on whether to open up the platform," Lo said, comparing while Google Android to Apple's iOS."

... yes, I see that his words were indeed made in relation to "open vs. closed systems." But - I don't believe that this was ever in question ... no, the part that I find myself drawn to specifically concerns the words "Once Steve Jobs goes away, which is probably not far away,.

To try to put these words into a context that will require Apple to
    Quote:

"grapple with the future in relation to open vs. closed systems,"

- admittedly something it is presently not doing because of Steve Jobs (if I am to believe the whole purpose of the Lo rant), AND this is not in reference to Steve's exodus from Apple due to health issues (as Mr. Lo would have us now believe), then I am left with the only other two interpretations available - namely, that Steve Jobs will either 1) naturally retire in the manner all executives eventually do (obviously not what Mr. Lo means because he specifically says Mr. Jobs exodus is
    Quote:

"probably not far away,"

- or 2) that Mr. Jobs, at the zenith of his career as the top CEO in the world, will suddenly and inexplicably disengage from Apple on issues that have nothing to do with his health.

Since Mr. Lo expressly states that it was never his intention that his comments be construed in reference to Mr. Jobs health, then he must mean the latter - that he expects the world's most formidable corporate rodomontade to suddenly step down and exit Apple for reasons that have nothing to do with health.

This leaves me with no other alternative but to assume Mr. Lo capable of both specious reasoning, as well as a marked tendency to prevaricate (or at least attempt the kind of puerile revisionism that belies a contempt for the reasoning ability of his audience) when faced with the inevitable backlash of his words.

It is comforting to note one highlight however - that so sterling an example of principled stalwartship can be found in his admonition that he will
    Quote:

"stand by the opinions [he] stated on the business issues."

Comforting, because the stakeholders in Netgear will have a clear means by which to assess their corporate leadership.

The sine qua non of the ignominious is the trademark sorrow they always display once caught in the web of their own deceit ? i.e., they always express regret NOT for their own actions, but regret for the actions of others who have misinterpreted their words. Of course, this always occurs in a context so plain a child could see through it.

In closing, Mr. Lo's webwork has reminded me of a couple of quotes from the American humorist Groucho Marx, wherein he states:

Quote:

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

and

Quote:

"Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?"

• Reply 8 of 36
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Netgear

I?d bet money Apple has supported open source more than Netgear.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...or-programmers
  • Reply 9 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Way to prove my point. RIF!
  • Reply 10 of 36
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Way to prove my point. RIF!

I was going to say the same thing
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Don't paint me a racist, but his surname does not appear to reflect that his mother tongue is English. So perhaps it is more to do with a lack of communications than anything sinister.

So I will give him the benefit of the doubt (the nice guy I am), but I don't agree with all the crap he is saying.

When, oh when will this open vs closed phrase be thrown out onto the scrap heap ?

Its worse than any Communists rallying cry, really, its so annoying when the fandroids scream this out at the tops of their lungs. Its all lies, they know it and we know it, but why do they still use it ?
  • Reply 12 of 36
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    is that he's sorry he got into trouble. Isn't that how these things usually go? Some yutz forgets for a second that he's a CEO or congressman or whatever, starts talking like a troll, gets called out for it, and issues a weak apology. And I love how they're never sorry for what they said - -they're always sorry for how it was construed. They're basically saying "I'm sorry you people are so stupid as to have misunderstood what I was trying to say -- oh, and I totally stand behind what I was trying to say -- so suck on that, b!tches!"
  • Reply 13 of 36
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Hey Patrick Lo! Fah Q!
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2 View Post

...huh? Perhaps I misunderstood Mr. Lo's "context" - or perhaps some other parameter. Best that I bring his comments forward so that I may reconsider them in light of his regret that I "misinterpreted" them.

and all that other stuff you wrote...

It's like he had no PR help writing this. Why not just say, "I speculated about Jobs' health and Apple's future (post-Jobs). I regret doing so, and I apologize to Jobs and his family." That's all he needed. He will have plenty of opportunity to defend his thoughts on open vs. closed. Trying to spin it the way he did just makes his apology as offensive as the comments.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

It's like he had no PR help writing this. Why not just say, "I speculated about Jobs' health and Apple's future (post-Jobs). I regret doing so, and I apologize to Jobs and his family." That's all he needed. He will have plenty of opportunity to defend his thoughts on open vs. closed. Trying to spin it the way he did just makes his apology as offensive as the comments.

That's what I meant!
  • Reply 16 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    So please explain Mr. Lo, if not referring to Steve's health what exactly does "Once Steve Jobs goes away, which is probably not far away ...," mean? What were you referring to? Why if healthy would Steve be leaving Apple any time soon? I'd love to hear your explanation.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Patrick Lo lacks class
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Hi All,

Not sure why, we are wasting our energy on Patrick Lo's comments, I probably think Steve would read his comments and say another fame seeker!
  • Reply 19 of 36
    ...any wireless engineers Apple hires would have to be familiar with LTE technology. That is where the market is headed, so it seems like this is just a logical step and not a major revelation of something we could not have accurately predicted.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I concur. I didn't hear Patrick Lo complaining about Microsoft's oh-so-open Xbox, Zune, Silverlight, or Windows OS for that matter.