Very Dead Macbook - Won't even charge. . . .

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I used my Macbook Pro on Monday and had it in my computer bag. Pulled it out today to use it and found it to be totally dead - not even responding to the magsafe connector!

The light on front of the machine on the right side is still on - no dimming and going bright like it does when it's in sleep mode - just a steady light. Pushing the battery status button shows no charge. Then hooked it up to the power and no light on the mag safe connector. Would be great it I could disconnect it from the battery, but this has the built in one.

Tried all the keyboard tricks that apple recommends. Nothing!

Anyone know if this means the thing is totally dead, or just really stuck or frozen?

I have totally babied this system and don't use it a lot. So can't figure out why it would take such a dump.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose? Not recognizing the when power is attached is really making me nervous.

-Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Update: I plugged in my white macbook's power supply to the MacBook Pro and the green light came on. After an hour hooked up the MacBook Pro's power supply and the amber light came on so this may have triggered something. Will let it charge for a while and see what happens. . . .
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    After using the machine on the Monday, did you put it to sleep or shut down before putting it in your bag?

Newer Apple laptops use "safe sleep", which saves RAM contents to the HDD before sleeping. Therefore, if the battery runs completely flat and the computer loses power whilst asleep, RAM contents can be restored from the HDD image.

However, this means that when you put the machine to sleep, you need to wait until the RAM contents have finished copying to HDD before moving the machine. During the copying process, the sleep light is lit continuously; when the copy is done and the machine is sleeping, the light will pulse. If you move the machine too quickly whilst it is copying, the sudden-motion sensor in the HDD/computer can activate, parking the HDD heads and causing problems. It sounds like this may have happened to you.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Update: Today my macbook pro came out of it's stupor and worked fine when I hooked it up to the magsafe power connector!

Thought about canceling my Genius appointment, but thought that they could trouble shoot it.

When I explained my symptoms to the Genius tech, he said it sounds like "coma mode". Like Mr. H said, happens when the lid is open and closes to quickly. My machine checked out just fine from the diagnostic check. The Genius tech gave me this tip to get the MacBook out of "coma mode." You have to make sure that you macbook is hooked up to the AC power supply. Then depress the power switch (keep holding it down) and press the Option+Control+Shift keys. Keep these keys held for while counting to 5 and release. You Mac should come out of it coma and be ready to go.

Glad to have my system back. But took time out to play with the iPad. What a great device. Also is amazing to see how many people are in an Apple store on an early Friday afternoon. Originally thought Apple was nuts to open it's own retail store, but have been proven very wrong about that.