"90210" star Priestly fractures back in auto racing accident!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
:eek:

Pretty massive hit:

<a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/motorsports/news/2002/08/11/priestley_injured_ap/"; target="_blank">http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/motorsports/news/2002/08/11/priestley_injured_ap/</a>;

180mph, head on into a wall?!? Earnhardt died hitting the wall at quite a bit slower speed. Priestly is lucky!

I've accidently bumped a curb or a parking divider going MAYBE 5mph. It will definitely perk you up and give you a jolt.

I can't even IMAGINE hitting a full-tilt WALL at 180mph head on!!!

The show sucked, but he seems like an okay guy. Hope he's okay. Doesn't seem to be any signs of paralysis, so that's good.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong> :eek:

Pretty massive hit:

<a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/motorsports/news/2002/08/11/priestley_injured_ap/"; target="_blank">http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/motorsports/news/2002/08/11/priestley_injured_ap/</a>;

180mph, head on into a wall?!? Earnhardt died hitting the wall at quite a bit slower speed. Priestly is lucky!

I've accidently bumped a curb or a parking divider going MAYBE 5mph. It will definitely perk you up and give you a jolt.

I can't even IMAGINE hitting a full-tilt WALL at 180mph head on!!!

The show sucked, but he seems like an okay guy. Hope he's okay. Doesn't seem to be any signs of paralysis, so that's good.</strong><hr></blockquote>

&lt;rant_mode&gt;

The IRL isn't safe. The IRL's feeder series, the Infiniti Pro Series is less safe. NASCAR is even less safe than that.

&lt;/rant_mode&gt;

pscates, when a car disintegrates in a car crash, it looks like a massive hit. It is a massive of course, but guess what? Lots of kinetic energy dissipates into the debris. This is why you see open wheel drivers walk away from devastating looking crashes while soft hits like those that happened to Kenny Irwin, Adam Petty, and Dale Earnhardtend up being fatal. Winston Cup cars don't seem to disintegrate past the sheet metal, and that's a bad thing when it comes to hitting the wall, but I can see why it's necessary since you're more likely to get hit by a 3000 pound car as well.

&lt;cheerleader_mode&gt;

I'll say it again and again, CART is the safest major form of auto racing in the world. In F1, you've got high-tech cars about 2/3 the weight of a CART champcar, but they burn gasoline, which is much more explosive and harder to put out than the methanol used in CART. F1 rules are also very peculiar. You rarely see a full course caution, ever. You also have lame grooved tires to cut down on cornering grip to slow the cars down.

&lt;/cheerleader_mode&gt;

The IRL just isn't safe because the cars are cheap. The IRL is based around being able to run a team for $3 million dollars a year if you're lucky. The cars use big 3.5L engines in back...you see so many accidents where the car swings around and hits backward...the worst kind of barrier impact in open wheel racing short of hitting it top first like Greg Moore did in 1999's CART race at Fontana, an unfortunate fluke.

The Infiniti Pro Series is the even cheaper development series for the IRL, like Winston Cup's relationship with the Busch series.

NASCAR, the cars are just way too massive. The tubs survive, the drivers get injured.

And as for Priestley getting injured, yeah, he was qualified to race SCCA, but the guy has no oval track experience and wouldn't be in an IPS car without the fact that he's a somewhat famous celebrity. Not that I believe in karma, but I think it's ironic how this happened to him after he laughed at Alex Zanardi in an interview when the interviewer brought up how Zanardi was still working on his cars, living life day by day even though he had both legs sheared off in last year's German 500K.

This is just more reason for me to be disgusted with the IRL franchise.

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That's more than I know about everything. I just like to watch Winston Cup on Sunday and pull for Jarrett.

Much beyond that, I'm pretty clueless...

Never got into the other types of racing.

You know WAY more about the specifics of the sport than I do, that's for sure.

I just thought it was wild that Brandon got dinged pretty bad.

• Reply 3 of 11
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    [quote]

The show sucked

<hr></blockquote>

It was a great show,very underrated,one of my favorites.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Someone spiked his punch once and he got into a car accident and hurt Brenda.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>That's more than I know about everything. I just like to watch Winston Cup on Sunday and pull for Jarrett.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd love to have a good reason to watch NASCAR, since it's more popular than any other form of auto racing in the US. I just don't have any.

Brands? If the cars under the bodywork were actually Fords, Chevys and Pontiacs, then maybe I could see why people would root for one team/driver or another.

Technology? What's wrong with fuel injection? What's up with using carburetors, restrictor plates, more than one wheel lug, etc.? At lest in other forms of racing the technology trickles down to the consumer driven cars. What happens with NASCAR technology...tricling upward?

Skill? Watkins Glen and Sears Point/Infineon Raceway are the only two tracks that have right turns. You always see the guys from road racing backgrounds kick ass (despite having inferior racecars to the top teams) like Robby Gordon, Scott Pruett, PJ Jones, John Andretti. Mostly nobody else can hack road racing. On speedways the drivers don't even shift...sometimes you don't even have lift in corners. All you have to do is wrassle' with the other drivers.

Variety? Ovals ovals ovals. Every F1 track is different. F1 races temp street and permanent road courses. CART races temp street, permanent road, airport runways, ovals, speedways, you name it. The IRL? ovals ovals ovals.

Safety? CAT and F1 are definitely a cut above here, whether it's the track maintenance itself or the safety personnel or the gear itself. CART was the first series of all the ones mentioned here that mandated the HANS (Head and Neck Support) device.

Schedule? 36 weekends a year? No thanks.

Speed? CART's fastest on speedways, F1's fastest on road.

I think I'll stick to CART, Toyota Atlantics, ALMS stateside and F1 for the rest of the world.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    Eugene, perhaps it's so popular because of the "everyday man" appeal, where it seems like the drivers are like you and me? Just my guess.

I don't watch any racing...except for demolition derby! (J/K)

Sparta (where Jason wrecked) is a nice track, about an hour north of me. I was there once to see Metallica on their summer sanitarium tour 2 years ago.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Two things. CART isn't as safe as F1. If I was going to crash in one of the 2 I would take the F1 car myself. F1 cars are simply astounding when it comes to safety and engineering design. Their impact resistance:weight ratio is much better than that of a CART car. F1 is just so much more stringently regulated when it comes to safety from various impacts.

Second F1 is faster than CART. The only reason you won't see them get up the speeds that CART racing does is because they don't race on ovals and have way too many grooves cut out of their tyres. They are trying to slow F1 cars down for a reason

From an engineering point of view F1 is a dream job. From a speed point of view F1 dominates road racing. Unfortunately F1 racing is usually absolutely tedious.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Telomar:

<strong>Two things. CART isn't as safe as F1. If I was going to crash in one of the 2 I would take the F1 car myself. F1 cars are simply astounding when it comes to safety and engineering design. Their impact resistance:weight ratio is much better than that of a CART car. F1 is just so much more stringently regulated when it comes to safety from various impacts.</strong><hr></blockquote>

FUD, hello! Grooved tires are the epitome of dangerous rules. What about the HANS device. Who mandated it first? The only thing the CART car has against it is weight. Everything else is better, The engine is lighter, the biggest danger to the driver since he's sitting right in front of it. Gas/Petrol vs. Methanol. Wider, longer wheelbases... You have no idea what you're talking about.

[quote]Second F1 is faster than CART. The only reason you won't see them get up the speeds that CART racing does is because they don't race on ovals and have way too many grooves cut out of their tyres. They are trying to slow F1 cars down for a reason <hr></blockquote>

Utter nonsense. You do realize CART champcars were once regulated well past 1100 BHP with 40+ inches of turbo boost? Grooved tires don't even effect top speed at all, only cornering. CART champcar engines with 2002 rules only output ~750-800 HP. A champcar would easily hand an F1 car its own ass on a platter in a top speed shoot out...grooved tires don't affect top speed. Weight doesn't really affect top speed.

The problems in F1 exist in CART; the cars are too fast. Even with massive regulations, a champcar average in the 240s (mph) at the California Speedway in 1997. In 2001 with even more restrictive rules, drivers were pulling 6 Gs at Texas Speedway. They had to cancel the race.

This is one reason why CART almost went to non-turbos for 2003. The turbo makes champcars faster than anything else short of dragster.

It'll be interesting to see how the champcars do at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve at the Inaugural Molson Indy Montreal race. Your assertions that without all the regulations an F1 car would be faster is also ridiculous. The rules are what makes an F1 car an F1 car in the first place. But take any F1 car and current 3.5L V10, and pit it against a 2.65L turbo V8 from a champcar, put optimal downforce on the cars for any particlar track and let them go...Just realize that both cars are severely restrained from full power potential and that champcars keep pace on road courses in addition to being oval track speed demons.

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The F1 guys could go faster if the rules changed and the CART guys could do the same. There's probably more sheer technical sophistication in an F1 car, but it really is just a matter of rules. On any given road course an F1 car will be faster cause nothing generates as much down force or cornering speed.

Personally I like endurance racing (but it's kinda hard to watch a whole event) Though I have in the past watched a few hours at a time of LeMans so that I ran my own couch marathon getting up in the m,iddle of the night and earlt morning to see the important bits.

For my money, Touring Car is the best racing going (the German series of a few years back being the absolute pinnacle) It has all the paint swapping, multi-passing, close-quarter goodness of NASCAR but with cars and drivers that turn left and right, and cars that are real road cars
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    My vote goes for WRC.

No pits. No manicured tracks.

1 driver, 1 navigator, 1 2.0L car, and a whole lot of outdoor elements.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    I like to race Powerwheels myself. 12v of pure thunder.