Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi, I am a new member making my first post to say hi. I am preparing myself to buy my first iMac, and after I wade through a "Making the switch" book and numerous Apple web support 101 sites, and I feel slightly comfortable, I'll make the buy. After that I will be asking a ton of nooby questions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twl845 View Post

Hi, I am a new member making my first post to say hi. I am preparing myself to buy my first iMac, and after I wade through a "Making the switch" book and numerous Apple web support 101 sites, and I feel slightly comfortable, I'll make the buy. After that I will be asking a ton of nooby questions.

If you start by removing the notion of switching and giving up what you have, buying a Mac is easier. Some people buy Macs and still run Windows. Not that I'd suggest doing that but it can be a backup plan.

There are options to run Windows inside the Mac system too so things like Access, DRM WMV, GPS device support etc are taken care of.

Also be aware that there may be an iMac update soon. It would be a bad thing to buy your first Mac and find out a new model came out within a few weeks of you getting one. It's fairly certain it won't be before Feb 20th though.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If you start by removing the notion of switching and giving up what you have, buying a Mac is easier. Some people buy Macs and still run Windows. Not that I'd suggest doing that but it can be a backup plan.

There are options to run Windows inside the Mac system too so things like Access, DRM WMV, GPS device support etc are taken care of.

Also be aware that there may be an iMac update soon. It would be a bad thing to buy your first Mac and find out a new model came out within a few weeks of you getting one. It's fairly certain it won't be before Feb 20th though.

Hi Marvin, Thanks for the tip. I saw someplace that the new Lion OS is expected by Summer. I hope you are correct saying after Feb 20th. I will definitely hold out for the new version a few months. I don't plan on also running Windows on my Mac. I'm just going to teach myself the Apple OS, so I'm reading about the differences and similarities while learning the system as best I can.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camrenwhite View Post

i am not very old myself but guess i am entitled to welcome you. hope no one objects to that

I object to you being a worthless spambot.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    You won't have a problem using a mac. If you can use windows, you can figure out a mac pretty quickly. Your in for a sweet ride.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Revolt2300 View Post

You won't have a problem using a mac. If you can use windows, you can figure out a mac pretty quickly. Your in for a sweet ride.

Hi Revolt, Yeah, I'm finding that out as I read.