AT&T, Verizon fighting for iPhone 4 users in new ads

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's two US carriers are now fighting to sell users on their version of the iPhone 4, with Verizon touting its network capacity while AT&T stresses network speeds and simultaneous voice and data

Verizon Wireless brought its iconic "can you hear me now?" network technician character back for an iPhone 4 spot that makes no actual mention of "iPhone 4," simply showing beauty shot pictures of the unnamed device while dramatic music plays, before cutting to employee answering the phone and saying, "yes, I can hear you now."

Meanwhile, AT&T has launched a new ad that never names Verizon nor even the iPhone during a scene that depicts a man working late in the office as his wife calls with a reminder of their anniversary. While talking to her, the husband hastily performs a search for "fine dining," and scrambles to assure her that he hasn't forgotten and is on the way.

Only at the end of the spot does a narrator say "only AT&T's network let your iPhone talk and surf at the same time," a swipe at Verizon's CDMA EVDO network, which does not allow users to access data while on a call.

Fighting for the phone

Verizon's new "Does"

Prior to Verizon's announcement of an agreement with Apple to carry iPhone 4, the two carriers were pitting rival equipment against each other, with AT&T touting the iPhone while Verizon pushed RIM's BlackBerry Storm through 2009, and then focused its marketing muscle on Android-based phones throughout 2010.

Last year, Verizon's Droid campaign listed a series of unique features that Android phones from HTC and Motorola held over the iPhone 3GS, noting on its website, "It does fast processing. Does swap batteries. Does run thousands of Android? apps at break-neck speeds." The Droid Does campaign also touted multitasking, notifications, hi-res displays, and Google services unique to Android, including the company's turn by turn Google Maps Navigation and speech recognition features.

Apple's iOS 4.0 and the launch of iPhone 4 last summer erased most of the advantages being offered by Verizon's Droid models, a factor that, along with the unique strengths of the iOS platform, appeared to sour Verizon on a Droid-centric smartphone strategy going forward.

Both AT&T and Verizon are also promoting competing phones that use Android, particularly in their efforts to sell users new "4G" data network service in the second half of this year. Apple's current iPhone 4 model does can not take advantage of Verizon's new LTE data service now being built out, nor does it make full use of AT&T's new HSPA+ service.

Neither providers' new "4G" networks currently offer data service beyond a few limited deployment areas, and neither AT&T's upcoming Motorola ATRIX 4G nor any of Verizon's new crop of LTE phones are yet available, leaving the two largest US carriers to promote iPhone 4 in connection with the relative strengths of their two rival networks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    All it means is more air time for Apple and iPhone of course.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    I like how Verizon's iPhone lets you make phone calls. Neat
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I find these ads a bit snarky...Like the "lost toys" ad over xmas. And all the "map" coverage ads.

I think I've "searched" the internet once while on the ATT iP4...it's just not that convenient or easy. Therefore not a big deal! Certainly not big enough to warrant the cost of these ads. Waste of time!

Give me something I can sink my teeth into...like lower rates or unlimited texts because I'm already paying thru the nose for unlimited voice and data. Or free tethering b/c I'm a loyal ATT customer. Sheez! Whose in charge of this crowd?

Having said this I do appreciate having the unlimited data plan not taken away from me...I was grandfathered in.

And although I'm not a big fan of Verizon, it was a good idea to offer unlimited data, albeit for a short time!

Best
  • Reply 4 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    No doubt they have a gentleman's agreement to hold on service prices though ...
  • Reply 5 of 27
    It'll all mean nothing once the iPhone 5 comes out.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    All I could think about when watching the AT&T ad was that most people have Wifi at work and at home and you can certainly take a phone call on Verizon and surf the web on Wifi at the same time. The only restriction on Verizon is you can surf on 3G and talk at the same time.

I also wonder how the guy got so many bars on AT&T indoors. I hardly get any bars inside my house on AT&T.

You can also use VoIP for calls on 3G or Wifi and surf at the same time.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

No doubt they have a gentleman's agreement to hold on service prices though ...

Yep, Digi, I think that's called "collusion!" They better be careful, I've seen some of the "pink, pudgy and soft" Verizon/ATT execs and I don't think they are really "built' for jail! If you know what I mean!

Best
  • Reply 8 of 27
    That AT&T commercial did nothing but demonstrate what a hassle and how rude it is to surf the internet while talking to someone else. Plus he didn't even get the reservation in at the end! Is AT&T desperate or what? That commercial was probably done in a half an hour. Totally unoriginal and cliched.

Take some hints from Verizon, AT&T. Their commercials were epic. The Verizon guy finally said the words we've all been waiting to hear: "I can hear you now." There's no topping that. Plus, Verizon customers can always connect to a WiFi network while talking, so there is a way to get around the Verizon setback. http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...n-iphone-rule/ It just seems to me like AT&T has nothing better to advertise, so they are resorting to that.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Gotta go guys! My GF is "talking" to me again and you know what that means!!!!!

Enjoyed today's discussions!

Best
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Steve Jobs has two whores fighting over his "HARDWARE"... Steve is a GOD!
  • Reply 11 of 27
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Let the ad wars begin!
  • Reply 12 of 27
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Steve Jobs has two whores fighting over his "HARDWARE"... Steve is a GOD!

If they don't shape up, he needs to whip them with a coat hanger.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BadFlounder View Post

QFT! - That is All.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BadFlounder View Post

True. But you need to get the 4-pack: 1 iPhone for data, 1 iPhone for voice, and 2 more data iPhones to get close to the speed of AT&T.

• Reply 15 of 27
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    This is nothing but good for us consumers... and badass for shareholders

I can't wait to see how this plays out as well. I mean... will apple turn these carriers into the music recording industry or what?

.. oh yea.. and I'm especially looking forward to seeing what happens with android.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    I dont get the "I can hear you now" thing for Verizon. Yes people have issues with AT&T in NYC and SF. But for the vast majority of AT&T users, their service is good. They would not have 80+ Million customers if their service was as bad as everyone on this forum makes it out to be.

I regularly go to Charlotte, and ive never dropped a call. Data rates are a steady 1.2-2.0Mbps or better which is pretty impressive considering what we pay for a 1.5Mbps T1 at work.

I also dont get the horrible customer service you hear about. Im traveling to Europe next week and needed to add a international data plan. Called AT&T and had it added in less than 10 minutes, painless. The rep even made it so it would automatically be removed from my line after my trip. Good luck getting the Verizon iPhone to work outside the US.

Nothing but good experiences with AT&T here, even before the iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    If AT&T want to show the real advantage of simultaneous voice and data then they need to offer the Personal Hotspot feature and show someone talking on the phone while sharing his iPhones internet connection with others.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

True. But you need to get the 4-pack: 1 iPhone for data, 1 iPhone for voice, and 2 more data iPhones to get close to the speed of AT&T.

You mean if you can actually get a 3g signal (remember, it only works over 3g).

Or, you know, since ATT fans/users have been claiming for YEARS that the smaller 3g footprint didn't matter, and the new data caps don't matter because "wifi is everywhere" then not being able to talk over 3g won't matter either since "wifi is everywhere" right?

That being said, it's rather pathetic of both ATT and Verizon to get into a slapping match over which iPhone is better. It's like two divorced parents fighting over their kid, who's smart enough to play the game so in the end, they're the only one who ends up on top.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    THAT'S FOR ALL YOU PENDING SWITCHERS OUT THERE.....

I knew about simultaneous talking and surfing, and that is the main reason why I am not switching. I have 6 phones on my accounts with AT&T, 3 of which are iPhones. I am self-employed, so I use my iPhone like crazy. I can talk, text navigate, search almost instantly. Why will I switch to something that wouldn't allow me to do that.

I love my iPhone, and I like my service with AT&T. It will get better some day, but I am not sacrificing my convenience for a small problem.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    A man is not a man if his office doesn't have wifi.