iTunes seems to be importing more files than I ask for.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Whenever I import files into iTunes, and then search my itunes folder, I find more mp3 files than were in the folder I imported. For instance, I created a new, blank library. I emptied the iTunes Music folder. I then created a folder with exactly 100 files in it. I told iTunes to import the folder. iTunes was set to both copy and organize imported files. When I search the iTunes music folder for all mp3s in all subfolders, I come up with 154 files.

I'm creating a new library to help me clean up my iTunes act, but this seems to be taking me backward. What's going on here? What am I not getting?

I'm running version 9.0.2.25 and have avoided further upgrades because my music computer is running at peak capacity. It's pretty old.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sternwheeler View Post

Whenever I import files into iTunes, and then search my itunes folder, I find more mp3 files than were in the folder I imported. For instance, I created a new, blank library. I emptied the iTunes Music folder. I then created a folder with exactly 100 files in it. I told iTunes to import the folder. iTunes was set to both copy and organize imported files. When I search the iTunes music folder for all mp3s in all subfolders, I come up with 154 files.

I'm creating a new library to help me clean up my iTunes act, but this seems to be taking me backward. What's going on here? What am I not getting?

I'm running version 9.0.2.25 and have avoided further upgrades because my music computer is running at peak capacity. It's pretty old.

Thanks for any help.

Haha ironic, since Apple Insider seems to have the same problem with you.

Are any of the songs duplicate after you import? Are you sure there aren't some .m3u files in those folders?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    As tonton mentioned, an .m3u file will absolutely do what you're seeing. Make sure to exclude or delete them when you're copying files in.