Mac Displays

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So Apple only makes a stand alone 27" monitor now? wtf? i personally think this is too big for the average user, yes i've seen them. do you think they'll being back something smaller? say 23"

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    Doubtful. Fortunately, the average user is already provided a display by Apple for any other Apple computer alternative. Mac Mini users are still under the BYODKM umbrella, so they're covered as well.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mikefmikef Posts: 697member
    Buy a refurb 24"...



    or another brand that will offer more value, but perhaps less aesthetics.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    People with a legion of Mac Minis and Mac Pros will probably still pick up a Cinema Display. Perhaps even the one-off purchase just to make one's solo machine look nice.



    But otherwise, it's more cost-effective to buy an LED Full HD TV and connect it to your Mac with an HDMI-to-AVI/miniDP cable. You get 1920x1200 display and a HDTV all in one, plus your Mac instantly becomes the ultimate HTPC. Get an HDTV with Picture-in-Picture for even more fun.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mikefmikef Posts: 697member
    Actually, HDTVs are 1920x1080p not 1920x1200. The latter is a 16:10 aspect ratio, the former the standard 16:9.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef View Post


    Actually, HDTVs are 1920x1080p not 1920x1200. The latter is a 16:10 aspect ratio, the former the standard 16:9.



    Still, an HDTV is a better choice than "just" a Cinema Display or third party LCD/LED monitor.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burningwheel View Post


    So Apple only makes a stand alone 27" monitor now? wtf? i personally think this is too big for the average user, yes i've seen them. do you think they'll being back something smaller? say 23"



    disregard
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post


    People with a legion of Mac Minis and Mac Pros will probably still pick up a Cinema Display. Perhaps even the one-off purchase just to make one's solo machine look nice.



    But otherwise, it's more cost-effective to buy an LED Full HD TV and connect it to your Mac with an HDMI-to-AVI/miniDP cable. You get 1920x1200 display and a HDTV all in one, plus your Mac instantly becomes the ultimate HTPC. Get an HDTV with Picture-in-Picture for even more fun.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef View Post


    Actually, HDTVs are 1920x1080p not 1920x1200. The latter is a 16:10 aspect ratio, the former the standard 16:9.



    the 27" Cinema Display is 2560 x 1440, not 1080p, giving you much more desktop area due to the tighter pixel density.



    it may be cheaper to buy the HDTV, but it has only 1/3(?) the resolution.
Sign In or Register to comment.