Apple rumored to update MacBook Air with Intel's Sandy Bridge CPU in June

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple plans to update its recently redesigned MacBook Air line of thin-and-light notebooks with Intel's latest-generation Sandy Bridge processor in June, according to a new report.

Citing an anonymous source, CNet reported on Friday that Apple plans to replace the Core 2 Duo chip found in the current MacBook Air, a processor that is two generations behind Intel's recently released Sandy Bridge processors. The MacBook Air was updated with a new, thinner design, flash memory drive, and an 11.6-inch model was added to the mix in an update released last fall.

In December, the same publication claimed that future MacBooks from Apple with Sandy Bridge processor would not use Nvidia graphics processors in at least some models 13 inches and under. It is rumored that the smaller models will switch to Sandy Bridge-only integrated graphics, while Apple's larger, higher-end MacBooks with screen sizes of 15 and 17 inches will allegedly rely on GPUs from AMD.

Intel began its roll-out of the Sandy Bridge next-generation processors in January, but the company quickly discovered an error in the chipset that accompanies the processor. That forced Intel to halt production of Sandy Bridge processors while it works on a fix for the 6 Series chipset code-named Cougar Point.

The error affected both desktop and mobile chips, leading to concerns that the issue could have an impact on Apple's anticipated MacBook Pro refresh. Apple last updated its MacBook Pro notebooks in April 2010, meaning an update for those products is likely to precede the alleged June refresh for the MacBook Air.

Intel announced this week that it has resumed shipment of chipsets for systems not affected by the Cougar Point design issue, which can lead to poor performance of devices connected to certain serial-ATA ports. The chipmaker also said that it will meet its deadline to begin shipping dual-core Sandy Bridge hips on their previously announced launch date of Feb. 20.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    Not buying it. It’s too soon to consider a MBA refresh and if they wanted to scrape OpenCL and a decent IGP for a better processor they would have done it with the refresh. They made the right choice.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple plans to update its recently redesigned MacBook Air line of thin-and-light notebooks with Apple's latest-generation Sandy Bridge processor in June, according to a new report.

Intel's right?
  • Reply 3 of 74
    The Sandy Bridge chipset fiasco has really highlighted just how dependent so many HW manufacturers are on Intel now. I'm sure Apple hates this the same way they became overly-dependent on IBM/Motorola to crank out new versions of the PPC chips. It's always uncomfortable when a single component supplier can delay/derail your entire product roadmap.

I for one call monopolistic behavior on the part of Intel for muscling nVidia out of the chipset business. Someone please have the balls to file the antitrust lawsuit. Clearly this was a move to protect Intel's future plans for integrated graphics, given that nVidia's chipsets were in many ways superior to Intel's in terms of just speed and power, let alone the graphics portion. Intel still hasn't figured out graphics after all these years, now they're integrating it directly on-die to speed up communications with the GPU in order to mask its ridiculous flaws and shortcomings. How does a company with the engineering resources of Intel still treat graphics as an afterthought? Oh wait... I know, because the likes of Dell and HP, et al. will continue to use Intel graphics for their low-end budget crap, and consumers will continue buying them up in droves because they're cheap, and then buy another one when they can't play back their favorite videos or favorite games.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

I for one call monopolistic behavior on the part of Intel for muscling nVidia out of the chipset business. Someone please have the balls to file the antitrust lawsuit.

Umm, I don't think that's how antitrust lawsuits work. It's not like 'calling dibs' or 'calling shotgun'.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I hope that ?

1. they bring back the ambient keyboard lighting.

2. they introduce the external battery status update from the macbook pro to the macbook air.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    I'm still surprised that there is so little detail about what's going on with the supposed MBP refresh. We're already getting details on the next iPhone, iPad and now the next MBA refresh, but very little on the MBPs.

I'm really hoping there's value in the recent rumor about large delays for those who need replacement MBPs.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    Quote:

Intel still hasn't figured out graphics after all these years, now they're integrating it directly on-die to speed up communications with the GPU in order to mask its ridiculous flaws and shortcomings. How does a company with the engineering resources of Intel still treat graphics as an afterthought?

Intel discovered the flaw (which was about peripherals, not graphics--do your homework) and fixed it within a week. The company is already poised to take about $1bil in redesign and opportunity cost losses; is that not punishment enough for you? Also, would you prefer the Motorola days, when Apple had to keep pushing back launch dates because PowerPC was an afterthought?
  • Reply 8 of 74
    Maybe they'll put it in the Mac mini. As it is, the Mac mini is way behind for a desktop machine at that cost.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quevar View Post

Maybe they'll put it in the Mac mini. As it is, the Mac mini is way behind for a desktop machine at that cost.

There is no reason at all that Apple can't replace all their desktop and laptop systems with SB chips. The new parts run faster, cooler and at lower energy costs. This year will be a round of massive computational upgrades for Apple. They won't have to bake any of the benchmarks to show a SB equipped Mini smoking the current model
  • Reply 10 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Not buying it. It?s too soon to consider a MBA refresh and if they wanted to scrape OpenCL and a decent IGP for a better processor they would have done it with the refresh. They made the right choice.

I think they did as well (C2D might be old but it is definitely not 'slow'), but I'd imagine that at least for the 13" model Apple should be able to cram both a Sandy Bridge CPU and a capable GPU that can be switched on and off in the MacBook Air. On the other hand, you might be right that this is too soon for a refresh, seeing that Intel is rumored to release a Sandy Bridge update with OpenCL-enabled IGP later in 2011.

It's just too bad Intel sucks so much at graphics, because their CPU's are great.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    I ordered the $1299 model with a Ram upgrade to 4GB. Cancelled this morning, gonna wait for Sandy Bridge.

Current MBA's are smokin' fast though.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Satorical View Post

Intel discovered the flaw (which was about peripherals, not graphics--do your homework) and fixed it within a week. The company is already poised to take about $1bil in redesign and opportunity cost losses; is that not punishment enough for you? Also, would you prefer the Motorola days, when Apple had to keep pushing back launch dates because PowerPC was an afterthought?

I think you missed his point, he was talking about the IGP architecture, which is in fact based on years old technology that prevents it from being used for computational GPU tasks. Moving it on-die and optimizing the data path from the CPU to the GPU masks its shortcomings by enabling Intel to crank up the performance of there GPU part up to 'barely acceptable' levels (even the fastest Sandy Bridge IGP just barely beats a 320M, which is already low-end in Nvidia's mobile GPU lineup). Intel really needs to get their act together when it comes to graphics. Maybe they should just buy or license their graphics technology because they clearly haven't figured it out after years of crappy IGP's.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    Don't believe it. My MBA is so incredibly fast, there is no need for an update. And june is not logical. Besides that, Apple will want to maintain a differende between the MBP's and the MBA.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Satorical View Post

Intel discovered the flaw (which was about peripherals, not graphics--do your homework)

Be nice... I come here to take a break from "doing homework!"


  • Reply 15 of 74
    Quote:

The Sandy Bridge chipset fiasco has really highlighted just how dependent so many HW manufacturers are on Intel now. I'm sure Apple hates this the same way they became overly-dependent on IBM/Motorola to crank out new versions of the PPC chips. It's always uncomfortable when a single component supplier can delay/derail your entire product roadmap.

I for one call monopolistic behavior on the part of Intel for muscling nVidia out of the chipset business. Someone please have the balls to file the antitrust lawsuit. Clearly this was a move to protect Intel's future plans for integrated graphics, given that nVidia's chipsets were in many ways superior to Intel's in terms of just speed and power, let alone the graphics portion. Intel still hasn't figured out graphics after all these years, now they're integrating it directly on-die to speed up communications with the GPU in order to mask its ridiculous flaws and shortcomings. How does a company with the engineering resources of Intel still treat graphics as an afterthought? Oh wait... I know, because the likes of Dell and HP, et al. will continue to use Intel graphics for their low-end budget crap, and consumers will continue buying them up in droves because they're cheap, and then buy another one when they can't play back their favorite videos or favorite games.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

I think you missed his point, he was talking about the IGP architecture, which is in fact based on years old technology that prevents it from being used for computational GPU tasks. Moving it on-die and optimizing the data path from the CPU to the GPU masks its shortcomings by enabling Intel to crank up the performance of there GPU part up to 'barely acceptable' levels (even the fastest Sandy Bridge IGP just barely beats a 320M, which is already low-end in Nvidia's mobile GPU lineup). Intel really needs to get their act together when it comes to graphics. Maybe they should just buy or license their graphics technology because they clearly haven't figured it out after years of crappy IGP's.

Expecting IGP to compete with a discrete solution is unreasonable. Sandy Bridge's on-die solution is very competitive with other IGP solutions.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    Quote:

I think they did as well (C2D might be old but it is definitely not 'slow'), but I'd imagine that at least for the 13" model Apple should be able to cram both a Sandy Bridge CPU and a capable GPU that can be switched on and off in the MacBook Air. On the other hand, you might be right that this is too soon for a refresh, seeing that Intel is rumored to release a Sandy Bridge update with OpenCL-enabled IGP later in 2011.

It's just too bad Intel sucks so much at graphics, because their CPU's are great.

I am under the impression that the embedded GPU in the Sandy Bridge chips is much improved. Perhaps x2?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3922/i...ture-exposed/5

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/I...0K_GPU/10.html
  • Reply 17 of 74
    Quote:

Apple has gone on record as saying they couldn't fit both a cpu and discrete gpu in the 13" MBP (let alone the MBA) b/c they would have had to have room for a fan as well. Of course the GPU in SB is also still DX10. AMD's Fusion will be utilizing DX11 parts.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

I ordered the $1299 model with a Ram upgrade to 4GB. Cancelled this morning, gonna wait for Sandy Bridge.

Current MBA's are smokin' fast though.

What benefit will that bring? My 11"MBA is blindingly fast. If I was to think "what could I improve", speed would most definitely NOT be on the list.

Plus, you realise this is just a rumour right? And when that comes out, there will be another one coming out 12 months after that? Surprised you cancelled your order based on this information that's all.

The "waiting 'til the next best thing" philosophy is tempting, but with Apple you'll drive yourself mad thinking like that, so I'm a believer in figuring out your requirements, and choosing something that meets them. That way you won't be disappointed when the next best thing appears, as you didn't buy it because it was the newest best thing at the time.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinksteady View Post

What benefit will that bring? My 11"MBA is blindingly fast. If I was to think "what could I improve", speed would most definitely NOT be on the list.

Plus, you realise this is just a rumour right? And when that comes out, there will be another one coming out 12 months after that? Surprised you cancelled your order based on this information that's all.

The "waiting 'til the next best thing" philosophy is tempting, but with Apple you'll drive yourself mad thinking like that, so I'm a believer in figuring out your requirements, and choosing something that meets them. That way you won't be disappointed when the next best thing appears, as you didn't buy it because it was the newest best thing at the time.

Graphics performance. Better battery life. Cooler temperatures.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    I keep reading people say, it's too soon for a processor upgrade my "mac" is already fast enough. In the world of technology when is any processor ever "fast enough" every day your processor is one day closer to being antiquated regardless of what you have. Any possible sped improvement they can put into a new model without effecting the price by much if any if always welcome in my book.

I am waiting for a Mac Mini and the current specs on the Mac mini just does not cut it given the technology out there... The MBA is nice as it is, but can always be improved.