Nearly half of small business users accessing work email use iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A look at the email use of a quarter million business email users indicates that 48.5 percent of small business users who access email from their smartphone now use an iPhone.

The results were compiled by Intermedia, the world's largest provider of hosted Microsoft Exchange email accounts. The firm says its customers are primarily small and mid sized businesses, and reports that half of its subscribers now use smartphones to access their accounts.

Intermedia's chief executive Jonathan McCormick said that "staying in sync with the office regardless of time or day has become imperative in most industries. But securely supporting the different smartphone options can drain an in-house IT manager?s resources. With our hosted Exchange service, employees can choose the smartphone option that makes the most sense for their business and personal needs ? from BlackBerry, to Droid to iPhone ? without creating complexity for the IT department."

Nearly half (48.5 percent) of the company's customers who use a mobile device to access their work email are using iPhones. Another 25 percent use BlackBerry phones, while 12.75 percent use Android-based devices and 13.75 percent use other mobile platforms, including Microsoft's own Windows Mobile or Windows Phone 7.

The company also noted that iPhone users send more emails per user on average, while Android users receive more emails on a per user basis.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    And I be one of them.

I also find it hilarious that, within the course of two short years, I have convinced four of my business associates, all die-hard PC folks, to switch to an iPhone.

What can I say.... the darn thing just works!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

And I be one of them.

I also find it hilarious that, within the course of two short years, I have convinced four of my business associates, all die-hard PC folks, to switch to an iPhone.

ain't that the truth!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Yes, iPhone all the way!!!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company also noted that iPhone users send more emails per user on average, while Android users receive more emails on a per user basis.

So, does this imply that the iPhone users are the bosses or the Android users?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

And I be one of them.

Now get them to switch to a Mac
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

So, does this imply that the iPhone users are the bosses or the Android users?

Not really though plausible. Android users are just being an arse not paying the courtesy in replying. Or their phone FAILED. To deliver.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Both Exchange servers and iPhone are using an old approach to E-mail, one pioneered by Palm and Symbian. It's not surprising that if you look on Exchange servers, you'll see a lot of iPhone users. If you look on Google servers, it's the other way around.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

iPhone: install iTunes on your desktop, figure out iTunes app, set up syncing with your desktop, fiddle with Exchange settings and set up syncing with Exchange, keep your fingers crossed.

Android: turn it on, enter your Google account and password and everything's there.

Now, which one "just works"?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jw915 View Post

Nice try with the strawman. Android doesn't support Exchange securely out of the box, which this article is purely focused on Exchange support and most businesses don't use Google' services anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Now get them to switch to a Mac

Workin' on it. Workin' on it.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Nice try with the strawman. Android doesn't support Exchange securely out of the box, which this article is purely focused on Exchange support and most businesses don't use Google' services anyway.

Agreed. Plus, I have yet to have anyone screw with my me.com or enterprise email.

I have had two separate Google accounts hacked which cost me some serious dineros to fix.

Yeah, so I would be a huge fan of the Google/Android connection.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jw915 View Post

iPhone: install iTunes on your desktop, figure out iTunes app, set up syncing with your desktop, fiddle with Exchange settings and set up syncing with Exchange, keep your fingers crossed.

Android: turn it on, enter your Google account and password and everything's there.

Remember to use the right comparison. If you're interested in gMail...

iPhone: turn it on, enter your Google account and password and everything's there.

---------------

Oh, and how about the Android-Exhange setup? (Actually, Google didn't license that, did they?)
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

And I be one of them.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that personal computer users would enjoy using a competent smart phone.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Iphone is great for email well, as long as you are reading or forwarding more than writing. Its missing some useful features though, such as sending or forwarding to groups easily from within the Mail app.

I guess some would say its a disadvantage to be able to read email at all times, especially if you have a lot of international clients, it certainly keeps me up at nights sometimes.