iTunes Gift Cards (transferring balances)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Please forgive me if there is a post already discussing this but I was hoping to get some help as I have been saving for an iPad for over 4 months putting every little bit on iTunes gift cards for the purchase. Clearly that was a bonehead move as I am now just learning that the iTunes cards cannot be used for product purchases. I have over $500 in iTunes cards that I cannot use toward the purchase and I am being told that they can't transfer them to an Apple Gift card. Has anyone else had some experience with this and might have some guidance...please?

Thanks!

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Apple should really just have a single gift card option. An Amazon gift card lets you buy anything on the store. All gift cards are bought with money so it shouldn't matter how it's reclaimed. Understandably, Apple like to hand out prizes limited to the iTunes Store but they can have special Apple redeem cards for that - for anyone else, that restriction shouldn't be needed.

As to a solution, I'd say your only option would be to try and get the money refunded from Apple or try selling the cards if you can for a lower price but I doubt anyone will want $500 worth unless they get a crazy deal for it and even then there's so much spam with gift cards that you'll be hard pressed to get anyone to agree to it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I agree totally with you Marvin and you are right as well about selling the cards...I tried that with no luck. Since the cards were a combination of gifts for Christmas and a Birthday as well as my own money, getting a refund would be a stretch...Seems as though I am stuck...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I'll buy $100 worth -- have you got PayPal? We'll have to exchange a few emails so I know you're legit, or you can send me the code in advance if you trust me to pay you after I receive the code.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Come to think of it, you've only got these two posts, so I'd insist on the second option. After you send me the code and it works I'll paypal to you. I've got 10,000 posts here so you can be sure I'm not going to screw you over.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Thanks for the offer Tonton...I totally agree with you on being careful and my intent was not to come on here and sell the stuff off to people. I was just hoping someone might have had some experience with this and know more than I did about it. I am still waiting to hear back from Apple but if they won't help me, I will consider your offer...thank you again tho!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Come to think of it, you've only got these two posts, so I'd insist on the second option. After you send me the code and it works I'll paypal to you. I've got 10,000 posts here so you can be sure I'm not going to screw you over.

[sinister narration]Little did he know that tonton's sole purpose for joining the site was to gain enough reputation to be able to say this and scam one guy out of one iTunes gift card...[/sinister narration]

• Reply 7 of 7
    Yeah...the thought crossed my mind but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. It seemed to me that most of the people on here are much less than sinister and I have learned to never discount any info that someone is willing to offer...